Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    So, you think just one person is responsible for this mess, i.e., Rashid Sidek?
    Ok, lets say your idea has merit. Remember Rashid is just a coach (yeah, ok, Chief Coach, but only head of coaches nevertheless) and there are others who wield much more power above him in the hierarchy of BAM, and at other levels.

We seem to focus too much on the most visible part of BAM, i.e. the top players and whatever happens at that level.
    But if the foundation is shaky, the top will suffer.

What about the process of discovery and filtering of talent from the grassroots level? How much opportuity is there for hanky-panky and favouritism as a potential candidate makes it through each level? How efficiently does this system work? Is sufficient incentive given to youngsters (in a contemporary way) to join the programme?

My point is this: (and I consider it really important) there are many points of failure within the system that can be touched off or even exploited by people who know how to manipulate the system. Besides, the system is porous enough to allow for incompetence to be accepted as the default, and professionalism or commitment to be sometimes viewed with suspicion.

In the end, it is about the self-fulfilling cycle of power and control. And in that context, Rashid is IMO just another willing pawn.

2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Limsy,
    that is correct, the big word 'ONCE' upon a time in Hang Tuah time:D, long before you were born, even OTB was in diapers then:p

MB111,
    I remember MAS has a famous footballer Moktar Dahari, once courted by the English leaque and he was a very good striker. He reportedly earned RM1500 a month in the early 70's working for a company but playing fulltime for MAS, similar to the KOR/JAP baddy players doing now. At that time, OTB was in school and worked as a construction worker hauling framing wood to burn (yes, those days we burnt those wood, nowadays we called global warming and pollution) and I made RM4 a day, saved enough for 7 weeks school holidays and paid my books and school fees for the next school year. Chciks, forget it, OTB cannot even support himself:crying: So put in prespective, RM1500 a month was quite a lot of money. An entry level (FOS, fresh out of school) engineer made less than RM1000 a month and a flat with 3 bedroom cost RM16,000 to buy.
    So, todays baddy players make a good living but they better be good, very good.

3. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    OTB
    Yes, I remembered him. There were others too, such as Soh Chin Aun (Datuk, Towkay, ....actually I have seen him once), Santokh Singh and Arumugam. :)

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Courtesy of The Star

Yoo slams BAM

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: South Korean Yoo Yong-sung has hit out at the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) for not telling the truth about his resignation as a doubles coach.

A visibly hurt and upset Yong-sung slammed BAM for saying that he quit, after a six-month probation period, because he was not given a substantial pay rise.
    “It has nothing to do with money. I am not a money-minded person,” Yong-sung, who was accompanied by his wife Song Eun-young, said through an interpreter in Sri Hartamas yesterday.
    “I came to Malaysia because of my passion for the game and I wanted an opportunity to build my coaching career. But I was not given a chance to hone my skills here. I brought my family here after all the wonderful promises made to me but nothing much was fulfilled.”
    Yong-sung, who resigned two weeks ago, also claimed that BAM even refused to extend his working visa, forcing him and his family to leave by the end of this month, although he had asked the national body to hang on until October.
    He is the second prominent coach to leave the BAM set-up after Indonesian Rexy Mainaky and this has led to speculation that things are not rosy in the doubles department, with too many heads wanting to be in control.
    “I was invited to coach here with the assurance that I would be helping Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong but I was hardly given a chance to do so. I reassured myself that it was all right but I grew very restless and disappointed because my role was not clearly defined,” he said.
    “I am a two-time Olympic Games silver medallist and have trained the Korean national team but here I was merely a trainer. Every day, I was asked to train a different group of players. How am I to prove my credibility as a coach if I do not have a set of players to work with?
    “I informed Tan Kim Her (doubles chief coach) and the matter was brought up to the BAM but nothing came out of it,” he added, highlighting an incident during the Vietnam International Challenge in March to back up his claim of not being appreciated in the coaching set-up.
    “I was supposed to go with the team to Vietnam but two days before they left, BAM told me to stay back. The only pair left at home were Kien Keat and Boon Heong. But when I asked Kim Her whether I could help out, I was told not to ‘touch’ them,” he said.
    Yong-sung then took matters into his own hands.
    He and his wife met BAM secretary Ng Chin Chai and general manager Kenny Goh on April 25 to review his position in the national team. The meeting, however, became strained when his credibility as a coach was questioned and Yong-sung walked out.
    “I went to see them because I wanted them to clarify my position. Kenny told me that I should just focus on training. He gave me the impression that I was a lazy coach. There could have been a miscommunication but I got mad. I have worked very hard every day since I came to Malaysia despite the low salary,” he said.
    Yong-sung was also disappointed that his friendship with Kim Her had suffered as a result.
    “Kim Her got me in but, at the end, we had our personal differences. He has not contacted me after my resignation ... it is difficult to trust (anyone) again. I just left without saying goodbye to some of the players and coaches. But I want to take this opportunity to thank them for respecting me,” he said.

5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Another piece, courtesy of NST

DISAPPOINTED: Yong Sung clears the air regarding his resignation from BAM
    [​IMG]
    Yoo Yong Sung was frustrated he never really got to work with the players he was paid to coach.

HIS salary has never been an issue with Yoo Yong Sung but he slammed the BA of Malaysia (BAM) for using it as the reason the South Korean resigned as the national men's doubles coach two weeks ago.Yong Sung was hand-picked by men's doubles chief coach Tan Kim Her to help check the slide of Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boo Heong but the former claimed he had not been allowed to work with the top pair over the last six months.His job, claimed Yong Sung, only lasted three days where he assisted Kien Keat-Boon Heong for about 10 minutes during their warm-up sessions and was then only required to monitor their progress.Yong Sung was frustrated that he never had a group of players to guide and was only utilised about 20 minutes two to three days a week to spar with the other pairs.The number of pairs and groups will keep changing on a daily basis despite the fact BAM and Kim Her had stated his expertise would be utilised to not only assist Kien Keat-Boon Heong but also other back-up pairs.Yong Sung said he had repeatedly requested Kim Her to give him a set of players to work with on a regular basis and also met with BAM secretary Ng Chin Chai and general manager Kenny Goh in March to discuss the issue. They initially agreed to his suggestion.But things remained the same and after his second meeting where his wife Sung Eun Young accompanied him, the two-time Olympic silver medallist called it quits."Salary was never an issue in the first place. This is the first time I have accepted a coaching offer in a foreign country and I wanted the chance to work with a set of players so that I could help them progress. The BAM management didn't agree with it so I quit," said Yong Sung through an interpreter in Kuala Lumpur yesterday."I feel it was not right for BAM to highlight that I asked for an increase in salary and not explain the entire issue. I never asked US$10,000 (RM30,000), as was reported in the media and during our meeting (on April 26) with Chin Chai and Kenny, I had already told them I was quitting before they could even discuss about my salary."I am a two-time Olympic medallist and have won so many international honours and I feel my pride has been battered. Even until today, I don't know why BAM hired me or what future plans it had for me."It was so frustrating being given 20 minutes, two or three days a week, to train at times about eight pairs. The players would keep changing every day."I raised this with Kim Her almost daily and requested a few select players to work with but he didn't do anything. I have completely lost faith in him as he didn't help my cause at all. He had also said that I could not train Kien Keat-Boon Heong even when I was available."His wife Eun Young said Yong Sung only wanted to have a specific position in the men's doubles squad and never demanded a higher salary."I was in the meeting with Chin Chai and Kenny and after a lengthy discussion where his request to train a group of players didn't get any feedback from them, Yong Sung stood up and said he was quitting and walked out of the room," said Eun Young."They then asked me if he wanted a salary hike but I was upset as well and said maybe US$10,000, I don't know. My husband was not negotiating for a salary hike but just wanted players to work with."We also made a request after that to allow us to stay here until the contract with our house owner expires in October but BAM has cancelled our work permit and visa and we now need to return home at the end of the month."

Read more: Money was never the issue - Badminton - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/money-was-never-the-issue-1.84853#ixzz1v5NfOlK6

6. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    this is totally rubbish!!!! we have the best coaches in the world, Yang Yang, Han Jian, Morten Frost, Park Joo Bong, Li Mao, Rexy...(sorry I might missed out some)....now we know what happened....even Misbun might be as well....with this kind of admin......we are doomed...
    in YYS case, I think what hauge mentioned before is correct..someone is trying to be the BOSS in MD department....

7. Sajiu

Sajiu Regular Member

Maybe BAM want Rafael Nadal to do the coaching or perhaps Tiger Wood. Will attract and wow the people even Malaysia lost the game.

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    lol. I think limsy and Rashid need to meet up and have a heart to heart talk. Limsy seems to know more in terms of badminton than Rashid. Maybe he got in mind as to who should replace Rashid? Never ending story from him on Rashid. ;)

Suggest lah kawan, we will 'evaluate' your credibility and see if it is good. If yes, we will support you. If you fail, how? ;)

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well
    if i go to the detail
    it might be as long as phd final thesis
    so i stop here
    hehe

10. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    All these foreign coaches do not get it, from Yoo to Rexy to YY to Morten to LM to Misbun to whatever:rolleyes:...control your passion and wanting to be a great coach which is quite noble but in Boleh land won't work...coaching in BAM ya must learn to not be better than those who hire you and their HP buddies, ya make them look pretty bad...even worse Yoo won 2 OLY silver, Rexy gold in everything, compared to our HP Datuk Bata James winning nothing and got spanked badly left right and center by those INA boys in his playing days:crying: just collect your paycheck, enjoy the nasi lemak (maybe Yoo does not like MAS food), teh tarik and what a good deal, to work 20 mins 2-3 days a week and get paid, we would kill for these kind of jobs;) a word of advice, free of charge from OTB...keep quiet, join NCC and his fellow clowns in milking those loots...who the heck care about winning baddy titles....it is the loots that matters. Just observe and learn from Rashid, yawning and disinterested and still get paid doing tidak apa...I am beginning to miss my motherland, maybe I shouldn't have left >3 decades ago...what a great country paying big money hiring a bunch of idiots to run a national sport, MAS Boleh. ;)

#410 OneToughBirdie, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  11. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Misbun is local, he tahan almost 10 years, until he also cannot tahan.

12. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

i consider misbun a world class coach... and the fact that he quit or made to quit strengthens the argument

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    but too bad,yoo dont have the same colour with kenny,ng cc and so on
    even misbun cant stand it.
    expect to see hendrawan to leave after his contract over,and i seriously hope rosman request another transfer,hehe.
    let the gang lead bam,they (thought they are) very brilliant man,they (think they )can handle it

14. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

http://www.hmetro.com.my/articles/2012051702390120120517023901/Article
    Another one from Metro, additional part :

“Malah apabila saya memberi pandangan mengenai pemain tertentu yang berbakat dan harus diberi peluang menyertai lebih banyak kejohanan, Kenny pantas mendakwa pemain terbabit pemalas sedangkan saya tidak nampak isu itu.” Yong Sung enggan mendedahkan nama pemain terbabit kerana bimbang terus ditekan BAM tapi berkata ketua jurulatih beregu, Tan Kim Her juga banyak berbohong.
    I gave my opinion that certain player/s are talented and should be given more opportunities for International tournaments, Kenny claimed the player is lazy. I dont see that the player is lazy. YYS refused to reveal the name of the player cos worried/concerned of BAM pressure. Chief doubles TKH also lied many times

Uncle OTB, YYS is Korean people , hardworking one. He wouldnt be able to stand the Bolehland style;):D. Plus, here he no say, in Korea, coach have final say on the players, not management

#414 eaglehelang, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  15. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Looks like both Kenny (dalglish and Goh) are really messed up people. :D

Thank you for this insight. I rarely catch up baddy news. Keep them coming.

16. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Wow, I remember your name, you shouldn't know me though since I think the last time I saw you posting was back in 2009, when I just joined... :eek:

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Welcome back koo_fan
    :):):)

18. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    hello undeadshot. :)

No, your username is familiar to me.

19. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member