Victor Brave Sword Lee Yong Dae 2011 !

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by tranphuloc, Dec 14, 2011.

1. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

Broke the string of the BS LYD again! Thats the 2nd time in a short time. Looks like the timing of the smaller head is playing parts. Nevertheless, I didn't liked BG80 on this racket too. So NBG98 is too hard, but BG80 is just too soft. The balance was better in terms of feel, but I lost some accuracy overal. BG80 felt dull on this racket. Going on vacation, so no need to hurry and restring the racket. Considering Yonex BG66 Ultimax next.

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

What the.....where do you get your rackets strung? The BG80 should not feel soft. If strung at the same tension, it should feel (at least) as hard as the NBG98 and harder than any other string (with the possible exception of the Ultimax, which still hasn't arrived. I'll compare them when it gets here though.)

3. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

Don't know. It's just how I feel it, both strung at 11 kg. So there should be no differences. NBG98 felt hard just like steel, and BG80 felt like it dampened too much. I string rackets myself, and the string broke because of a mishit. So nothing's wrong with the stringer.:p I'm sure the tension was the same but the built of a racket can give different results with different strings in terms of feel.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Interesting. 11kg is too soft for me in any case, but the BG80 and NBG98 are the only strings I can play with 12kg. Weird that the 80 should feel so much softer to you - maybe it was a tad softer than the 98, depending on your machine and stringing routine that can happen easily (one guy in my club strung 2 rackets for his friend - both supposedly 12kg. One sounded like 12,5, the other like 11....).
    I have no idea what kind of machine you got, but anything below professional grade machines can have very different results depending on the way you string (i.e. how fast you pull, how well your clamps hold the tension, in case of a drop weight - how well you balance the lever etc.).
    That being said, I'm a fan of the NBG98 myself (although the better I get, the more the slickness irritates me at the net), so I understand why you like it better than the BG80 :D

5. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

I found the NBG98 softer than the BG80... But I would definitely recommend a thinner string for the LYD... I consider the LYD a pure doubles racket so I suggest BG66M. Since I sold my LYD to my friend, I'll see what he thinks since I have a reel of BG66M

6. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Someone sell me on the LYD. I'm a huge fan of the Braveswords and have been eyeing off the LYD and BS15 since they came out, but they're not setting my world on fire. Seems like the BS10, BS15 and LYD all have the same spec, just with their own nuances.

Tell me what you love about your LYD.

7. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Well, I hear it depends somewhat on where you live :p The european version of the BS10 is definitely different, being stiffer and even-balanced, whereas the LYD is slightly head-heavy and stiff (but not as stiff).

8. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

I believe Maklike is asking owners of an LYD to explain to him what's so special about it. Not just simple specs such as slightly head-heavy and stiff.

9. SolsticeOfLight

I dunno, but if you call balance point and flex a nuance, then all badminton rackets are pretty much identical.

10. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Dude, so far everything I've read says that all of the three rackets I mentioned - as well as the two BS10's I've owned - have balance points between 295-300, and all have the same stiffness. I've owned every Bravesword model. Every second post on this thread seems to contradict the last...one person thinks its as stiff as the 10, the next person doesnt.....one thinks the 10 is head heavier, the next says it's just barely head heavier....

The LYD is a super popular model, but nobody seems to know why, or can express the specs and feel of the racket in a succinct way.

If it's just a nuanced BS10, then I'm not really interested, but if it has something over and above the 10, then I'm all ears.

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, then be patient - in 1-2 days, a test version of the LYD is gonna be in my greedy hands, and of course I'm gonna compare it to the 10. The 10 is actually the model I want to move away from as it's just too light for singles and I need to play singles next season, and on a suitable level (compared to last season) as well. Currently the BS09 and LYD are favorites for the spot as go-to racket, although the YY ZF and N55-II are included in that package as well :)
    After testing, I'll post a shorty about the LYD (the string will be way too soft for a real review), and should it be so good that it's worth the extra bucks compared to the 09 (for 2 LYD I could get 3 09) and I get two, I'll be posting a decent review. However, that will be in a week at the earliest...

12. SolsticeOfLight

That may be due to the fact that the 10 is available in different flexes (Super stiff vs stiff). The LYD should only be available in stiff.

13. fabcargo

fabcargo Regular Member

badminton
    I finally found my true racket!

Please meet my new 'friends'

I used to play with Yonex 9000.
    Then I switched to Victor and used BS10 which I found to be fast but not so much power in clears and smashes.

Finally with BS-LYD I found a complete racket to suit my type of game and skill (doubles-mostly front player, defensive, control, counter attack). With BS-LYD I could counter attack smashes with fast drives and also put more power to my smashes and clears when the situation allows. My reaction to smashes are now faster and my opponents told me that my defence is getting much better than before.

Clears are really effortless now and Smashes is precise in the spot I wanted it to land.

I hope my short review can be helpful to other members

Attached Files:

14. BlueTornado

Nice set of LYD's.

15. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Oh my God... You have 4 of BSLYD...

16. fabcargo

fabcargo Regular Member

badminton
    I have 2. But that day I found that my 2 friends also have 1 each. So we put it together and took the picture.

BUT they dont seem to get used to BS-LYD yet. Their timing seems to be off and keep hiting the frame.
    They switched back to their old rackets during the game and I kept laughing :)

17. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Are your rackets on the outside? The grips are similar

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Got a LYD for testing purposes today, together with some others (including a BS09 since mine broke a while ago).
    First impressions: it's really, really quick, faster than the BS10 but not as head heavy or stiff. The string is way too soft for me, so I'm not gonna be able to judge the feeling and power of it accurately, but so far, it felt like it can be quite powerful if you have enough time and can take the shuttle in front of you. Not so much power when it's gotten past you or you can't prepare properly. The small head makes it kinda similar to a Z-Slash, although it doesn't have that 'wobbly' feeling which the ZS had when I wasn't used to it.
    Compared to a BS09, it's a more defensive racket, with a bit less power (excluding a 100% jump smash). I'll definitely need more time to improve the timing and get a better feeling for it, but so far it wasn't the great offensive racket I pictured. The balance is really not as head heavy as a 4/5 rating would make you believe - it's actually the same as the BS09, which has one overgrip more.
    I'll have more time tomorrow, so I'll do some drills to get a feeling for the basic shots with the racket, but currently it doesn't seem like I'll get one as I need a racket I can use for singles. For that purpose, it seems a little head light and defensive :/

19. BlueTornado

Slightly head light, not so stiff, and more defensive than a BS9?? Man, people's opinions on this racket are all over the place.. Gotta try it out for myself as soon as Victor USA gets some more..

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well it's stiff, but not as stiff as a BS10. And not as head heavy. Because of that, it felt more defensive than a BS09, which is head heavier and easier to get some power out of.