Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Oh! I see...
    He is wearing the SHB-86EX or SHB-65FT

2. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    Yes I am on the far side I said that in the description above the video. To be honest smashing from the back I am not a very powerful player so my attack would screw me over more than it would help me. That is why I had to play around with slices and drops. My drops could be way tighter I agree. I did have a few mesa ups at the net but after net killing him twice and as well in the 1st game he didn't seem keen on playing the net. And drew I am wearing just the normal SHB 86ex's

3. drew tze en

Here is me playing I'm on the far side in the orange Li-ning Shirt
    [video=youtube;Rt83WkhcOuM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt83WkhcOuM[/video]

I didn't play my best. The hall is fast and the shuttle in this game was fast as well, so both, my opponent and I made several mistake when we were clearing and high serves.

Also to add, I'm sorry about the video quality, I have no idea why it is flicking, it maybe because of the lighting in the hall. I'm not sure. This was record at 23 fps.

The player on the far side is Toby Penty, he was coaching someone at the time.

#1383 drew tze en, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Technically, I notice mainly footwork - lack of scissor and split steps. Recovery is very lacking. Addressing shuttle on overheads is not correct form, especially when doing forehand in backhand side (shuttle is too far back, and body is too square a lot of the time 6:48).

Strategy/tactics - definitely far too many pushes/lifts when net shots would be better.

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Two quick things: first, you grip way too high. In singles, you generally should grip way at the bottom, the only possible exceptions being when you play a netshot or defend.
    Second, your hitting action for everything below net height is way to big. It should be a short, sharp motion, but you don't seem to tighten the grip and rather play those shots with pronation/supination, which should be avoided whenever possible (talking about netplay, defense and drives taken in front of your body). The longer you can hold the shuttle/the shot, the longer you fix your opponent in court, so making the motion shorter and sharper is an important aspect, especially in singles.

6. drew tze en

I agree with you. Especially with the strategy, during this game I was lifting way too many shots then I usually do. I am practicing my forehand shots from the backhand side.

7. drew tze en

I noticed about my grip as well, I didn't know it was high until I watched this game. Lately I have this habit to hold the shuttle and try and create deception but now I can't stop doing it.
    Thank you for the advice !

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Glad if it helps :)
    In training, you should try and split your time a little - play very concentrated and clean most of the time, but take some time every session to play just the way you want as well. That way, it doesn't feel like work, but is still effective. I wasted quite a bit of time playing with lower standard players whom I could deceive easily, but playing against stronger opponents that was fairly useless and I had to catch up quite a bit on basics that I could've learned much earlier.
    Do you have training with a coach or do you play more recreationally? If you can, get a coach or advanced player to oversee your footwork training (you should do some drills every session). It's hard to believe how much clean, effective footwork does for your game :D

9. drew tze en

At the club I go to. I attend a 2 1/2 hour session, the first hour the coach teaches a shot and then we practice it and the rest of the session we play games. At the moment there is a club tournament so, it means we are qualifying to get into the finals.

I think after the club tournament has finished, I think I will do a few drills and etc to improve my footwork. During this game I was tired that is why I didn't put in a lot of effort and that's why my footwork was really poor. Hopefully that next time I record a video I wouldn't be tired and my footwork would slightly be better.

10. thejym

thejym Regular Member

I have another fun video for you guys. I think I had better stick to coaching:

[video=youtube;aEoO5RNaZm4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEoO5RNaZm4[/video]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEoO5RNaZm4

Narration:
    Oh nice flick! *brain fart* Damn I'm out of position... dive!
    *get up* ...where the @#$! is my racket?! Why isn't it in my hand?
    *gropes for racket* Where did it go? I better go find my racket.
    Partner: "COME ON!"
    Huh? Where's the bird? *look up* Oh too late to change grip, swing!
    *opponent returns shot* Ok I'm gonna go lift really high and give us time.. why is my partner moving too? Crap.

11. drew tze en

It is good that you returned the shot with interest!

12. amleto

amleto Regular Member

haha, loveit

13. TheNoob

TheNoob Regular Member

student
    This is a video of me and my friend rallying, can anyone help me with advice on everything i need to improve on? sorry about the limited angle and camera quality! Thanks a lot!

i poseted a thread for this, and was told to post it here, so here goes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MurNcFkhK7w

14. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

If that's the case you might want to try to focus on angle rather than power, a steep smash is much harder to counter as your opponent will be taking the shuttle at a lower point.

15. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    I would assume your partner moved in, albeit pretty late, because you attacked warranting for a front-back attack formation. Your partner went wrong not in going for the lift but the combination of the cross-court lift and moving back cross-court to his base.

If he lifted straight it should give him enough time to get back to defend a slower cross court smash or, you should be able to move back to your base relatively quickly being farther back in the court than your partner.

Your recovery shot and your partner's choice of shot was funny though!

16. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

[video=youtube;92N9WkUqCSU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92N9WkUqCSU[/video]
    [video=youtube;URemrbY0Rh4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URemrbY0Rh4[/video]

Played against a friend from the local area in an English ranked tournament (Bronze).
    Not really got an excuse for the amount of errors, made, enough to say I probably lost the match rather than being outplayed, something to work on for next time. Too many unforced errors, hitting things out the rearcourt, other than that I probably would have come very close if not beaten him given the scores were 15 and 17 in 2 sets. Camera battery died half way through the second set, missing some of the best rallies unfortunately!

Was happy with my hitting + movement having spent the last 3 weeks not playing.

Any comments & tips appreciated as ever :)

#1396 AimUk, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  17. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Way too many unforced errors , clears , smashes (misplacement) . It is disappointing to watch. Footwork was slow, movement , positioning sense seems to be all lost as well . Timing was not there . Too slow at the net and shots were too loose, And what happened to getting back to the ready position ? Missing the split steps occasionally as well , Most of this are down to lack of match practice , laziness and tireness ?

18. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Part of the problem is that I probably haven't played singles much in the last 3-4 months, I only really get time to play doubles at training (which finished in March) and club nights which are also doubles. So I think it's taken a bit of a downturn in singles. I wouldn't say it was THAT bad, were you expecting to see some professional badminton or something? Not all of us are at the level where we can play that well.

What part of my movement would you say was bad, I can't see that many examples of when I was under real pressure to reach shots apart from when he was attacking well (a good attack always makes you struggle) and some of my movement to the net was slow?

Other than that, yes you're correct. Looking back I wish I was more consistent but unfortunately it was expected given I wasn't totally match fit. (Not lazy :p)

19. jajvirta

jajvirta Regular Member

Programmer
    Why all the negativity? "It is disappointing to watch" and all that. I understand the value of criticism, but I don't understand why it has to be overly negative. And its not like the poster was boasting about his abilities, he was just asking for feedback.

20. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Ok, the recovery steps after making the shots can be split second quicker. Reading/awareness of the game can be improved to gain that extra split second. When you defending , you get the first attack back but then your feet seems not to be ready for the next shot . (be alert, and use the split step). If you are quicker and more ready at the net (quicker 1st step) , you can get to the shuttle earlier , you can then hold the shot / making it more deceiving.

You are a very good player , there is no denying in that. To reach that next level and becoming even better , it is mostly down to better movement /footwork /awareness . You will be more ready and have more time on the shuttle which will help you with your shot- selection / and making the shot , in addition less errors .

You said , a good attack always makes you struggle , but ask yourself why you are in that position in the first place. If you have been earlier to the previous shot (and have more time to hit a more attacking shot ) and be as ready with your recovery steps , it would not be possible for him to initiate a good attack .

If you really want to concentrate on your singles , then you will need match play at least twice a week