How has the men's singles metagame changed over the years?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kaitamasaki, Apr 14, 2012.

1. kaitamasaki

kaitamasaki Regular Member

If this has already been extensively discussed, please link the thread instead :).

I became a fan of badminton and following all the matches closely well after the change to 21 points, around 2009 or so. I'm just wondering why the top men's singles matches these days are played at such a slow pace, with high clears and slow drops.

Are Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei pretty much "defining" how singles should be played at the moment? For example, many of the rallies are seemingly very casual and slower-paced. I am guessing this is because they're both at a skill level where its unnecessary for them to play flat or play overaggressive, because they know it won't get them points quicker. Even say, Lin Dan vs. Taufik Hidayat in the 2012 All England Quarterfinals, they play a very calm, relaxed, almost chess-like game, but if Taufik were to play lower ranked players, he could get by with just big smashes and a flatter, faster game with more urgency. Is LD simply too good compared to his competition now, such that he doesn't even need to play a fast attacking game anymore compared to how he was like back in 2004-2008?

Is it actually dentrimental for a recreational player like me to sort of imitate the way LCW and LD play? I notice even most national players don't play the way they do (well I'm from Canada), instead preferring to play a flatter game, such as pushes, pop/fast clears, which makes their footwork always seem very rushed and "unstable".

I'm not saying the top players can't be fast, its that they seem to have much less of a reason doing so, and are instead resorting to sudden injections of pace or playing counterattack.

2. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

id say, in the case of top top world MS players, that you couldnt just be pedal to the floor all the time becuz their stamina and anticipation of shots is so good.They instead play and work the rally to find opportunities to earn the point with pace change and on-the-edge type of shots ( close to sideline smashes, brutal-tight net play)

3. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    You know that's an interesting observation that deserves some analysis. I watched a match between Chen Hong and Taufik on Youtube in the World Championships 2006, and both players were smashing at every lift at speeds from 270 and frequently in the 290+ kph.

Aside from the tactics argument that being overly aggressive won't be any more effective, I suspect part of it has to do with age and the fact that these players are no longer in the early 20's. It is no longer feasible for Taufik or Lin Dan pull smashes 280+ kph on a regular basis because they are physically unable to sustain that pace consistently. I actually think that was part of Lin Dan's weakness when he first appeared on the circuit was that he started at an insane pace, but wouldn't be able to sustain that level and thus he would drop his game and be weaker in the 2nd and 3rd game.

I would say that the current play style is easier on the bodies of LCW and LD. Part of playing sports is not just to have great technique, footwork, stamina, and strategy, but ALSO to stay healthy by not getting injured. If LD and LCW don't want to expend so much energy in the opening rounds of the tournament so that they can save it for when they face the higher ranked players, that's a perfectly good strategy even if they were capable of crushing their opponents with the aggressive and high energy play style. If they can do the exact same thing without expending that much energy, why not?

And you're right, it is because LCW and LD are that far above the rest of the competition that they can afford to play several levels lower than their top capability.

But then again even against each other, LCW and LD don't exactly go all out with powerful smashes at every opportunity. They employ a sort of hybrid game which you say is like a chess match with sudden injections of pace when they have a good opportunity to do so. The high energy ultra-aggressive game I suspect is the last gear of LD when he really needs it, which I think is something LCW doesn't have or can't do it on the same level LD can. This gear was on full time in the 2008 olympic finals between LD and LCW, and you saw the result.

4. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Since the defence of top players nowadays is so good that smashing all the time exposes yourself to even more danger. Playing long rallies is physically very demanding and you need good accuracy and, most importantly, wisdom which only come after years of training, but these are the basis of advanced badminton and already suffice to separate the top players from the rest of the world. The way how they play looks less aggressive but actually very difficult to imitate. It would be fantastic if you could.

It's not the way they play that makes their footwork look rushed, but rather I think it's the quality of their footwork itself that determines their way of play. The top players' footwork remains calm and rhythmic even under reactive situations.

#4 fauci, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  5. fauci

fauci Regular Member

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

It's subtle, but if you look and study the games, I think you will find that when lcw/ld play clears they are forcing the other to be moving backwards to retrieve the shuttle in a position that smashing is not a good choice. When they play a drop they make sure the opponent has to move for it!

To often if recreational-intermediate players will try to immitate their 'slow' game, they will actually be serving up 'dollys' to better players. Their clears wont be deep enough/easily intercepted and the drops will be too slow/high/loopy.

Add in to the mix that footwork skills are massively different and lower level players can get caught out from simple clear/drop shot. This means it is much better to pressurise your opponent at lower level because it is much easier for them to make a mistake, and there will be less 'waiting shots' where anyone make mistake/fail to reach shuttle.

So for recreational player to 'play slow', yes I think it is not wise. For me, when I play like that, I lack some consistency - I will hit too many shuttles out in long rally, or choose wrong shot to give easy kill.

So I think to employ this style of game, you should be technically very good, and at least equal to your opponent. Otherwise you will simply lose on consistency basis.

Simply put, if you are not top pro, there are holes in your defense + court coverage. It is easier to win points by putting pressure on suspect defense and aggressively moving opponent around than it is by playing slow game.

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Just watched that match and there was one 290+kph smash in the first two games :p

8. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    LD likes to play a counter attacking game (and always has IMHO). Thus he is patient and waits for his oppurtunities. He is capable of playing very fast when he needs to force the game, but playing fast is a very risky strategy, it can tire you out as in most cases in professional level attacking uses more energy than defending. In lower level the opposite is generally true.

LCW is more attacking but against LD he knows he cannot do that for the reasons above.

I do agree that LD's influence on the est of the players has led to a more counter attacking style being most prevalent. When CH was No1 everyone tried to play 100% and smash everything.

9. kaitamasaki

kaitamasaki Regular Member

Thank you for the thoughtful replies. I actually heard one of the English coaches that was commenting along with Gillian Clark for the LD vs TH AE 2012 game, and he said something along the lines of:

"I've always only watched Lin Dan play on TV, and wondered why he really is so good. Then once, I had the luxury of coaching a player against Lin Dan, and when you're on court-side against him, it's almost impossible to tell where he's going to hit it."

So first of all, if you're not near the skill level of a top 10-20 player, you won't even be able to follow Lin Dan even if he was playing his current, slower style. He can throw you off guard just by playing seemingly simple shots, and break your rhythm. Or you'll have to sort of hope he's having a bad day (Wong Wing Ki vs. LD in Denmark Open). And that's if you're mentally calm playing against the "best player in men singles ever".

Definitely agree as well, I haven't thought about this extensively, but playing the same shot over and over is technically very demanding, such as a straight clear. Hell, I can't even get a proper hitting angle every time, much less playing it at a good height and making sure it doesn't go long.

10. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Heh, there were actually a fair amount of 275+ at least in the first two, but things REALLY took off in the 3rd game. Taufik actually hit at 300 kph one in the 2nd, but the problem is that a lot of the indicated speeds were not shown on the TV but rather through the commentators reading them out, hence why you saw only 290+ kph smash in the first two games. Chen Hong just smashed whatever lift he was given, and man he smashed them hard. But it's a high risk play style.

11. Yuzo64

Yuzo64 Regular Member

The problem is, LD and LCW are far too good compared to all the other players.

Especially on defense.
    They have the ability to retrieve everything you throw at them.

So when they play against someone else, they are patient and just rely on their defensive skills until the opponent makes a mistake or get tired.
    Attacking is great, and the best way to score a point, but it's highly demanding physically.

Let's say LCW plays aggressively in a tournament. He wins easily until the finals against LD, then loses because he's tired from the previous matches and can't play at full speed.
    Same tournament, LCW plays patiently. Scores are tighter, maybe plays a couple of deciders, but overall he's probably fresher.
    And don't forget that he is (well, LD is too) an all-rounded player, so he can up the pace on a couple of points if he really needs to, for instance to prevent a 3rd set. Pace injection, as our Gill Clark says :) ).
    That's how LCW actually manages to reach the finals of almost every tournament he enters.

But when LD plays LCW, that's another story. Both players know that whatever they do, it won't be enough to create an opening. Playing your best is not enough, if the other guy does the same.
    Then you've got to be patient and wait for him to make a mistake first (bad recovery, slightly short clear, slightly higher drop shot... not what we, regular players, call "mistakes", but what they absolutely need to use and pile up to crack the armour). Chess-like, as some said already. Logical, since both players have no weakness, no weak spot.

So I believe the "slow game" you describe is just a tactic to win the tournament, used by 2 exceptional players that always consider that they're gonna meet eventually in the finals, which makes it the hardest match of the tournament. Everytime. That's unusual. You've got to adapt to it. And because they can afford to, obviously.

On one single match, without aftermaths, I still think a mastered all-out attack strategy is the way to go nowadays, given the point system. But it's becoming harder and harder to master, since the general level of defense is rising incredibly high and quickly. I'd say the Top 100 players have a god-like defense, LD and LCW being the real deal.

It's probably going to evolve soon, though, we'll have to see what the next generation holds for us :)

EDIT: Well, just read my post and found something else in it :)

In badminton, there are only two ways to score a point : to outmanoeuvre (sorry if it's wrong^^) your opponent, or to outspeed him.
    Movement, or Speed. Those are the keys to badminton.

But you can't outspeed LD and LCW. Even 300 km/h smashes are not enough to get past their defense if they haven't been moved first. So you need to combine both keys to solve the puzzle. Your only chance is to move them around like crazy AND thunder down murderous smashes to hope for a small mistake.
    The only problem is : they're defensive players. Endless stamina, lightning-fast movement, perfect technique, hard-working guys. To win against this kind of guy, one key is just not enough.

Hope I was clear :)

#11 Yuzo64, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012