Some advices on choosing a Training racket, please

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by johnnxiv, Apr 8, 2012.

1. johnnxiv

johnnxiv New Member

Your job
    I plan to buy a 180g training racket,

Which weight is best to training for a decent beginner player?

I dont want to break my wrist,

2. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    Just buy an AT700 and play with it. Maybe someday you'll even love it. All those training rackets will mess you up if used improperly.

3. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

i have a HEAD badminton racket thats low-end and is about 105grams. pretty decent to warm up with and practice with

but again its quite heavy so using it for a long time tires my wrist and i get anxious for injuries.

4. johnnxiv

johnnxiv New Member

Your job
    Im thinking about getting a 180g lol
    that is why I'm afraid its too heavy

5. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

id say 180g is bloody heavy
    not that i have super strong wrists, but i weight train quite often and even so my wrists are tired working the 100g racket around.

6. johnnxiv

johnnxiv New Member

Your job
    I agree with you , that is why Im asking to see if anyone using those weights,

I like the heavy because it will train your muscle too, but idk

7. SlaShEr

SlaShEr Regular Member

tinkerer
    just get a cheap racket. You can add up some more weight using lead or some modeling clay bar as you progress and develop wrist strength. Just make sure to tape up the clay bar with some tape/duct tape so it wont spoil your racket bag or furnitures just incase of a mishit.

8. johnnxiv

johnnxiv New Member

Your job
    Is there anyone has tried the 160g 180g rackets,
    How is it? Does it help increase your swing power?

and more control when you switch back to the normal racket?

9. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I think you should gradually progress to heavier training rackets. Start at 120g and go from there. I have two training rackets 135g and 150g (dry weights). I use the 135g for warm up and rec play with friends (not smashing hard with that thing). I use the 150g for dry/practice swings in my office.

The training rackets should help improve your power and quickness but not your control.

If you go straight to 160g or 180g...I'm betting you'll injure your wrist.

10. sslam72

sslam72 Regular Member

I wouldn't bother with a training racquet.

Here's my recommendation to strengthen your wrist and get better shots without wasting your money on a new bat.

TIP 1
    1) Buy a pack of four inch or 100mm long screws.
    2) Buy some 4" x 4" sawn timber (not hardwood)
    3) Buy one Philips (cross headed) screw driver

Here's what you do, every morning and then also in the evening, screw 10 screws into the wood and go at least 3/4s of the depth of the screw. Then unscrew all of them.

Keep doing it and:
    1) In week 1, keep to 10 screws
    2) Week 2, advance to 15 screws
    3) Week 4, advance to 20 screws

I've been recommending this method for over 30 years. If you haven't figured it out this will strengthen your forehand and backhand wrist technique.

TIP 2
    1) Get a regular unopened can of beans from your kitchen (don't steal one from the supermarket)
    2) Sit upright with a straight back on the edge of a firm chair (not a soft sofa)
    3) Hold the tin directly above your head with your arm out-stretched
    4) By only bending your elbow and wrist, lower the tin with moderate speed to the back of your head before raising it back up straight above your head. (try not to lower your arm too much)
    5) Week 1, repeat 50 times (twice a day)
    6) Week 2, repeat 100 times (twice a day)
    7) Week 4, repeat 200 time (twice a day)

This will help you strengthen your shoulder, triceps, and forearm for your overhead shots and you'll soon realise you're also keeping your racquet higher up and ready for the next shuttle, instead of dragging the head below your waist line.

You should also repeat this with your left arm or not racquet arm, but only do the repetitions for half as much as stated above.

The best thing about this is you don't need need to buy a big heavy bat and damage your elbow or shoulder, and you don't need to pay £60 per month for gym membership and then you're building up your strength and potentially improving the quality of your stroke play.

Stick with the racquet that you're used to playing with and enjoy getting more out of it.

When you get consistently stronger you have the option of trading up to a heavier racquet that you can genuinely handle.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have a 130g, 140g, and a 160g training racket.

for someone who is a beginner, i would only recommend the lighter ones. even 130g will be stressful for a beginner. and the 160g will unhandleable.

12. sslam72

sslam72 Regular Member

However, if you're not particularly strong to start off with, start with 10 screws, but don't do it every day.

Instead, do it on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday and have a break on the weekend. The same goes for training with a tin of beans.

Don't over exercise and strain yourself and don't feel you need to get to 25 screws or 200 tin reps so quickly. Badminton isn't just about strength, it's about endurance so it's not about how fast your can do you exercises. Gradually build up your strength and stamina and don't exceed the maximum reps I stated above as it's not going to benefit you.

Remember, if you're other half sees you're spending more time with a tin of beans, screw driver, screws and some wood you'll be in bigger trouble than just being perceived as a badminton nut.

13. fiq_axis

fiq_axis Regular Member

I have a training rackets, weighing 160g, first time of using it, I can't even control the rackets. But after spending honeymoon with her (training racket), I can even smash using it. FYI, it would surprisingly increase your swing power, even your smash would be harder. 19kgf maybe? :p

14. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    @sslam72

Will exercise in a gym be beneficial or not for us as a recreational badminton player ?
    I am talking about exercising muscle, such as doing bench press, etc.

15. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Of course.
    At least, if you're training in the right way.

16. sslam72

sslam72 Regular Member

Any amount of training is beneficial, hence why the pros work at it all the time.

My point about avoiding the cost of the gym was intended to infer that anyone can train to some degree at home.

On the subject of bench pressing, you'll find that the top athletes who take part in endurance events that require power, do not train in the gym to work on absolute power. So where you'll see a pro weightlifter start with 80kg with 10 reps and work up to lift 120kg for 10 reps in a short session, by way of warming up they have conditioned their muscles to perform in such a way that suits their need to "burst" energy for short periods of time. This applies to sprinters too. The net result is that their muscle fibres are conditioned to be shorter and denser and therefore outwardly bulkier....i.e. bulging muscles. They will be more prone to being affected by the lactic acid that makes them tired and weaker faster as they expend their energy.

A marathon runner or other long distance runner, will condition their muscles so they are very strong, but they will do far greater reps but with lighter weights. So their muscle fibres are longer and and their bodies can continue to perform with greater resistance to the effect of lactic acid. You'll find that athletes who are conditioning themselves in such a way might only bench press 10 - 15kg but perform 30 - 50 reps.

17. sslam72

sslam72 Regular Member

So the underlying guidance is, to do weight lifting workouts provided you stay with low weights and high reps.

As your strength and stamina increases, then you can steadily increase the weights but keep the reps at the same level or increase depending on how fit you are.

You gym guide should be able to advise you on how best to approach conditioning your body for badminton. In the UK they will baseline your starting position on each type of exercise and they can recommend how you approach your strengthening and conditioning.

18. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I've seen many gym instructors who wouldn't have a clue where to start with a badminton specific workout. Many won't even be able to perform a power clean or split squat themselves.

19. CanucksDynasty

So I just tried out your exercise. Holy hell is it hard and tiring. I only did 5 screws. I didn't want to do 10 cuz if I did...no way could I type this post. I can feel the burn in my forearm. My wrist isn't feeling any pain. And I think this exercise might help improve finger strength too.

Heh...doing this at work. So I'll do it in the morning and the afternoon.

My planned regiment is ...
    Week 1: 5 screws M-W-F
    Week 2: 5 screws M-F
    Week 3: 10 screws M-W-F
    Week 4: 10 screws M-F
    Week 5: 15 screws M-F
    Week 6: 20 screws M-F

Now I just need to go to Home Depot and buy a big piece of 4"x4".

20. CanucksDynasty

^^

Revised planned regiment...
    Week 1: 5 screws M-F
    Week 2: 10 screws M-F
    Week 3: 15 screws M-F
    Week 4: 20 screws M-F