Was this unethical? I intentionally caused a midcourt collision on the opposing team

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by thumpsky, Apr 3, 2012.

1. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    I did a JJS style stop drop, which caused one player to make a very heroic leaping dive to recover the shuttle that took everything he had, and he wasn't able to recover at all. In fact, he was face down and groaning. He lifted it up nice and high, but instead of smashing it on his body, I returned it with some height to give his partner a glimmer of hope, and he also dived for it (whilst his partner still hadn't gotten up yet) and thus they had a collision.

It was totally intentional and full of malice on my part.

Was this wrong or funny?

circle one.

[​IMG]

2. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    nothing wrong with that
    it's a game, they want to win, that's why they collide

IMO, it's a good thing, it shows determination
    of course this in panic situation (where they are in a pinch)
    in normal situation, if you give hit the bird in the middle and both try to get it, that means either they are not fixed partner, or they don't understand each other position

3. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    yes but I could've got an easy point by just killing the birdie when he lifted it. instead, I was trying to cause damage.

4. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I can understand that you could of been trying to give them a chance, but if your intention was to lead to damage then I think it's wrong.
    Was it a competitive or friendly match? And had they done anything to provoke you?

5. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

AE278BB6CBB7487C0FF7AE706177CDE2E45AC583 is my dig
    If you were my client and a politician or a business man: well done. It resembles Hobbes and Machiavelli. Evil for the win.

This is badminton and sportsmanship, however. Shame on you.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

This is no different than if you had smashed or dropped down the middle between them, causing them to clash rackets. It is totally their responsibility and prerogative to judge how safely they can play their shots, be it protecting their rackets, or their bodies in your case.

But if you play with such malice (if you're using that word specifically as defined as "evil"), then may I suggest that you seek some psychological counselling and perhaps look back into your childhood to sort out your attitude before you go near a court again.

7. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Since your intent was to get them injured...I feel sorry for you.

8. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

LOL, I'm moving to Vancouver. I'm probably skilled enough to avoid such a situaiton. But, if someone like you did do such a thing. I'd likely get pissed. If I read about the A$$hole posting on a forum bragging about it, there is a good chance someone would need to visit a proctologist about having a shoe removed.

9. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    competitive.

i treat sport, especially badminton, as a metaphor for combat.

10. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Let me ask you this, if you were playing football, would you go in to tackle your opponent with the mindset that you want to injure them?

11. thunder.tw

Sounds like you have a bit of trouble distinguishing metaphor from reality. For Christ sakes, I used to box and compete in martial arts and even then there is a line between competing and trying to injure. If you really have trouble with this concept then make sure you only play with people who are smaller than you or you are.

Even allowing for your combat metaphor, coming on to a forum to brag about speaks to a rather unbalanced mental state. I'm guessing you were/are bullied a lot.

12. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

I don't think his bragging, his more so asking for our opinion on the situation that occurred. I think its just bad sportsmanship if you did something like that :s What about this? I know when I play, especially at the net, when there is a loose net shot, I'd hit towards the opposing net player's body. Or if someone dove and the shot was weak i'd smash it towards them? But not like purposely aiming at their face? Would you guys consider this to be unsportsmanlike? even knowing that the opposing pair, at least the one not on the floor after the dive, could retrieve your shot?

13. thunder.tw

To tell you the truth. If it happened and I saw it, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. If a player put himself on the floor it's pretty much fair game to take advantage of any weak position your opponent may be in. So at that point it's part of the game. So, I actually don't have any issue with the incident itself. In fact I've drilled a smash at a fallen opponent myself but only because the whole point of the game is to put the bird on the ground. But, I had no thought to causing any injury to the guy. I didn't head hunt and I didn't hope that his partner would collide with him.

However, in this case you see the guy post that he was trying to cause injury to the opponent and then asking about the ethics of the matter. This is a completely different matter and speaks to someone having a very deficient morality and/or someone in serious need of a good a$$ kicking.

More likely we are dealing with some troll who's telling us some bull$hit story. I can't believe anyone playing at any competent level would be so stupid as to dive into their stationary partner.

As for your examples, I consider it fair to hit into the body. In fact it's good strategy to do so. But there is a difference between trying to win the point and trying to hurt your opponent. Remember there is no subjectivity here. This worm has stated explicitly that he was trying to "cause damage".

Like I said though, likely just some troll here on the net playing make-believe.

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Maybe your opponent can sue you for intentional bodily harm/injury and cite this thread as evidence?

15. thunder.tw

I doubt it. I'd actually put more of the fault on the guy's idiot partner for jumping into him. Also, likely a made up story so maybe if you did have a trial, Santa Claus could be the Judge.

16. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    i draw the line at face shots. but i thought precipitating a collision would be funny

17. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    double post

18. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    to me, the added humiliation is part of the spirit of winning.

just like how people will use a trick shot if they have a chance, or will allow someone to smash to their hearts content only to keep lifting it to mentally break down the other side.

that's what i was going for.

he was expecting his partner to recover in time, but he didn't. also it was a very long drawn out rally so there was a huge emotional investment in getting the bird.

it happened.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

make sure you understand the definition of "malice" before you use it loosely as you do...

1. desire to inflict injury, harm, or suffering on another, either because of a hostile impulse or out of deep-seated meanness: the malice and spite of a lifelong enemy.
    2. Law . evil intent on the part of a person who commits a wrongful act injurious to others.

because if you really mean malice, then you have serious deep rooted psychological issues...

as a matter of fact, if you really meant malice, i'd like to see how you drive... or maybe i don't want to...

20. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

Wow!!! Now that is some serious A$$ Kicking going on here :D
    I think the OP wanted to brag about his awesome display of calmness in a tense situation and was then wondering about the much intended 'malice' on his part. Then he wrote the post expecting some mollycoddling from other members here... you know, telling him that "its Ok", "It happens", "I'd have done it too!" etc... (You get the drift ;))
    Instead, he's been bashed left right and center! Well, tough luck buddy! What you did was unsporting and your lousy attempt at atonement was laughable and mildly disturbing. Get help!