Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. amleto

amleto Regular Member

any camera that can do HD will be more than good enough. Older cameras that do e.g. 640x480 will probably be good enough as well!

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

anything of 640x480 upwards is good - just make sure it has 50fps. Anything less can be a bit troublesome for such a quick sport^^

3. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Who is responsible for putting this thread to sticky , since then no one has even posted a message !

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

No idea. I might take some vid tomorrow though, if it bothers you that much ;)

5. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    When I get great internet connection or go back home to my laptop in a week I will upload a video or two.

6. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Same, since I have more time to play badminton :)

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Had a fun session today, even though I'm still recovering from a wrist injury and the guy with the green stripe on his shirt was sick for 2 weeks.....as per use, I'm the tallest guy on court. Wearing the black&grey Li Ning shirt :)
    Starts at 1-1.

[video=youtube;05A1Y3-HuuA]youtube.com/watch?v=05A1Y3-HuuA[/video]

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

time for revenge ;)

your body position gets sideways on very frequently when you are in sides formation. I think it is better to be square on to the shuttle (I've never seen it suggested otherwise).

#1368 amleto, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Ya hard to get that habit out. When I'm in a position where the attacker takes the shuttle slightly to my right, I take my right foot back though - makes the forehand defense much easier as you have more space to move the racket. It's pretty much an emulation of LYD who enjoys much success with that stance :)
    The longer we played, the more relaxed I got, and the lazier my movement around the court. The first match of the day was very one-sided because I was so fired up that I nailed down everything high :D
    I've also noticed my smashes could be lots steeper on many occasions. They also looked a bit harder than last time I filmed myself, so maybe they don't drop as much before crossing the net [or I just screw up the angle]. Three things to work on, including my horrendous rhythm at the front (the split-step is WAY too late :O)

Edit: Haha, loving the dance my partner does around ~14:15 :D Didn't see that when editing it :D

#1369 j4ckie, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  10. nbonkowsky

Athlete/Coach
    I had some time in the ASIANA lounge at the Incheon airport in Seoul,
    Korea this morning and was able to convert and upload the video of my
    match from Vietnam before I fly out to Japan.

So here it is, I am on the right side of the video (far side of the
    court) with the orange shoes on if you can tell. I apologize that me
    and my opponent wore the same colors, it didn’t help that I had
    another yellow shirt in my bag >.<

This is game 2 of the match against Jacob Malieka [14] from RSA. I
    made a lot of simple unforced errors some simply off returning serve
    which is not something I am proud of. I was very inconsistent and
    unable to keep rallies going, there is no excuse for this. I was
    simply not up to par with the standard of badminton being played. I
    can easily find many weaknesses and flaws in my technique, game,
    footwork, and strategy through this match.

That being said there are aspects of the match that I am happy with
    and some rallies that I am proud of and very happy. I have seen some
    progress in my game it isn’t a huge leap forward but it’s a small step
    in the right direction. Time will help with that and at this point I
    just have to keep working hard, become stronger, faster, and smarter
    on court.

[video=youtube;giMFzrtsXD]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giMFzrtsXD&amp;list=UUpEC9SYB1 JopHnDHIu|4Yog&amp;index=1&amp;feature=plcp|[/video]

#1370 nbonkowsky, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  11. nbonkowsky

Athlete/Coach
    [video=youtube;giMFzrtsXDk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giMFzrtsXDk[/video]

i am currently in japan and onoly have the hotel computer for internet at 100yen for 10min. i dont know if the youtube link works if not i will post one on saturday when i get back to korea. if a mod can fix it or knows what the problem with the video was that would be awesome. thank you.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

jackie: you gotta practice your serves! :p very easy to do by yourself

13. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Good stuff Nick!

14. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

hi nick

nice vid, maybe 2 things you could consider:

1. your net-drops are often times not tight enough. too often, it's quite easy for your opponent to recover after you play a net-drop.

2. you always play fast drops/almost stick-smashes from the rear court. try to mix in some slow, very short drops to keep your opponent moving and get him out of position. most of the times, he can reach your drop with just one step.

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I do! In competition play, I rarely make more than one error per match, and it's pretty tight for my current level of play. Even gets complimented by the better players in my club :p But I agree, not the best match I played, though that is to be expected in that group (it's hard to stay serious with that bunch^^)
    Usually, I start training with warm-up, a few minutes of footwork, and then 10-15 minutes of serving. Getting to the stage where I hit the lid of a tube of shuttlecocks in a training situation. Need a little more time with the string, the BG80 plays very different from the 80Power imop...much harder.

16. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

hi jackie

i think the main thing for you to become a better player (which is true for many players at your level...) is: CONISTENCY!
    you have some nice shots, quite good technique, everything fine. but you make quite some unforced errors. maybe trying to play to complicated, sometimes a bit too late and still try to go for the killer-shot, sometimes a bit lazy, sometimes a bit too relaxed/not concentrated. you know what i mean?
    the key difference to the next level (or 2 levels) is consisteny...

keep on working, do (silly) routines to make your game less error prone.
    and always remember to better make a decent, save shot 9 out of 10 times than a spectacular excellent shot 5 out of 10 times...

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thank you - I know exactly what you mean, and it's always been my biggest weakness (also with table tennis which I played before). Not having the foundation of junior training is kind of a setback, but I'm trying to work around that. Improving the footwork and consistency have been my focus for a few months now, and I've made quite some progress, my consistency has already improved significantly (which has been commented on by fellow club members - they told me my game was always "looking very good, but very error-prone and ineffective" a few months back, and that it's nearly as good as it looks now :D). As I have to play a couple hard singles matches next season, my main goal is to improve my athleticism and movement around the court for now. That should also help with consistency as I'll be able to reach the shuttle earlier and keep my body more stable for the shot. My coaches focus in training is on doubles right now as his club is very weak there, but I'm the first in the gym most of the time and he always takes time to correct me when I do some drills on my own :)

If you got any further tips, I'm always grateful :)

18. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

You play International tournaments ?!?!?! O.O
    sorry in the video which one is one? there are two player with yellow shirts.

19. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

I watched the first 5 minutes without knowing which player was you. My observation was that the player at the far end was a higher standard than the nearer player. Your movement is very fast and light, nice technique but many of your shots were too safe to put movement pressure onto your opponent. Your favourite shot appears to be the crosscourt drop from the forehand rearcourt, which is quite deceptive, but against a player who knows this then your in real trouble in the huge space on your backhand side. You'd be better off with a straight smash more often so they get used to splitting into a wide base, then throw in an occasional favourite which could be a winner.

As said before, your net plays are too safe also.

20. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

He said already, far court in the orange shoes:)