Question about playing badminton and Tennis

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jean-Carlo, Dec 18, 2006.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Footwork: in Badminton Vs in Tennis

Hi Jean-Carlo,

OK, I found a little spare time to think about your question, ie [FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]”Would it hurt my arm or my game in badminton if I start playing tennis ?” [/FONT]

I, with the help of other members@Badminton Central, might be able to answer your question.

Did you know that we could write a very thick book to answer your question?
    General question always require long, long answers.

So, let us break down your question... and let us deal with just [FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]”Would it hurt my game in badminton if I start playing tennis ?” [/FONT]

Let us start with Footwork in this post.

I want to tell you this...... If you play tennis you could develop slower Footwork in your game of badminton.

In tennis, you have 2 options to return your shot;
    (1) return the ball before the ball hits your court, or
    (2) return the ball after the ball hits your court.

In badminton, you have no option, you have to return your shot before the shuttle hits your court.

What I am saying is “If you play tennis, you could develop slower footwork, which is not good for badminton“. Tennis players with slower footwork usually return the ball after it has hit the court.

BTW, if it is possible, come a day when someone who could return all tennis shots before the ball hits his/her court (other than the service, as per the tennis laws/rules), that someone will be a World Champion.

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]Before my next posting (another topic other than footwork), we should await comments from other BC members regarding this [FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]topic of Footwork[/FONT]. [/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]Cheers... chris@ccc[/FONT]
    [FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]PS: I see that our Dmitry has come out with the topic of “Wristwork”. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]And I like Dmitry's comment, ie comparing Badminton to Fencing VS comparing Tennis to Heavier Sword Fighting. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]Perhaps, our next topic should be on Wristwork.

[/FONT]

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    excellent overview of tennis vs badminton. Yes, the reason why federer is among tennis fans favorite because he is enjoyable to watch as he uses footwork and stroke skills to beat his all power opponents. In badminton, an all power oriented players would never make it far in the pro circuit because he will defeat himself. In tennis, a few all power type players can win some big titles like Patrick Rafter and Rafael Nadal

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I alway view tennis as a clubbing fest, like who can out do the pounding the ball back. In badminton MS, there are occasional full smashing but it is only one part of many tactic used to beat the opponent. Funny how u mentioned fencing. Fencing is one of many parity of function and form found in badminton.

4. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    You are partly right (if we are talking baseline to baseline).. But definitively not if we talking midcourt to midcourt.. A full power midcourt smash landing midcourt will have a much greater speed than a tennis shot, when it hits the ground!!!

/T

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm...Federer vs. Taufik..

..hmm, so that does mean Federer can possibly adjust/adapt easily into playing badminton?? Since we all know badminton uses wrist a lot, and like you mentioned above, "his strokes are more 'wrist-using'..-so he has more control, more deception, more options what to do"??..
    All he has to do then is learn the basic footwork & a basic technique...Hmm, maybe a Federer vs. Taufik match, just for us to see the battle of the "wrist/backhand-maestros"..I wonder who would win if both of them meet each other??..Imagine Federer booming a backhand clear all the way to the stands..hehe:rolleyes: :p :D ;) :cool:

#85 ctjcad, Dec 23, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Roger Federer played Badminton as a child

Hi ctjcad,

Roger Federer might have started Badminton before he started Tennis :confused:

In his interview with Rahul Jacob, Financial Times, dated 13-Jan-2006, Federer said he played a range of sports as a child for his hand-eye co-ordination, and he did mention Badminton.

For those who are fans of Federer, you might want to read this long article.
    Link= Ace of grace

Cheers... chris@ccc

#86 chris-ccc, Dec 23, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  7. nluciano94

nluciano94 Regular Member

Still Searching
    I played tennis first before badminton, I did enjoy tennis up to this time. I still watch and keep myself updated with tennis events BUT badminton really got me!

8. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
    i find tennis very easy to play and if you have good hand eye co you will be good at it, i was a total beginner at tennis and managed to beat a friend who had been playing reguraly for years because i was able to serve harder and place the ball to the corners. also, when a tennis player serves he is aiming for a small part of the court where as in badminton he/she can smash it anywhere with alot more high variation making it harder to get back.

9. Hunterex196

Hunterex196 Regular Member

Hey guys, i know its been a very long time for this thread, but seeing as this is Badminton vs Tennis, and everyone seems to use Federer as the ideal example here, thought you guys should take a look at this
    http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/29/not-just-tennis/
    Federer himself states publicly that he played badminton to enhance his HAND EYE COORDINATION...
    If that statement alone is not enough to get you to understand that badminton's coordination, reflex and overall skill is far superior to tennis, then, I'm not sure you've ever played competitive badminton.

10. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    I'm not sure if it would be considered far superior. It's just, different. It's hard to compare the difficulty of tennis and badminton in terms of skill and hand eye coordination because the two sports differ in some fundamental ways. While I believe that tracking the birdie requires on average faster reactions than it does in tennis, you have to take into account bounces and spins in tennis which are not present in badminton. In addition I would also say that the skill transfer is much easier from badminton to tennis than it is the other way around, one of the evidence being how loosely Federer plays with his wrist though normally it's supposed to be kept firm during shots.

Have you actually played tennis or watched competitive tennis? When I first tried out tennis it was a lot more difficult than I thought. Surprisingly the way people believe badminton is a touch game and tennis as a power game is actually reversed when I think about it. It's MUCH harder to keep the tennis ball in while it's a lot harder for people in badminton to smack it hard enough for a full clear or a smash to go the full length of the court. When you get to the professional level of both sports maybe that difference becomes less evident, but don't take away from the difficulty of tennis.

I'm personally a badminton player because I enjoy the sport a lot more and I've been playing it for much longer, but I also respect the skill of tennis players as well because I have tried out the sport for myself only to find it's not quite that easy.

11. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    I sometimes use tennis as a form of strength conditioning for badminton. Lets just say tennis players don't grunt because it's a 'touch game'.

12. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    And I will agree, the racket is like 3-4 times heavier than a badminton racket so it naturally requires more strength for the average shot. I would say that starting out and to the early- intermediate level, you never really get to hit the ball really hard because it will most certainly go out. In badminton you can put all the strength into your stroke but really not get too much power out of it because of technique limitations. It's not really until you get to the mid-intermediate level or advanced level that I think both sports require just as much power and control as the other to play. I suppose I should have clarified that because you have a point as to the tennis player's "grunting" (though sometimes they grunt on slice shots too! =p).

13. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Wow. This is such a good read. Very intense. Whew!

14. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

I play both but tennis as a recreational sport. But badminton is more intense n satisfying somehow, maybe because I play better badminton (competitive) than tennis:D

Now I am playing badminton about 8-10hrs a week and tennis 1-2hr a week.