Peter Gade loses his match at 2:30 AM, thanks All England organizers!

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2012' started by galaxyduo, Mar 9, 2012.

1. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

It is unacceptable that matches complete at 2:30 AM in the morning. I thought All England was the premier badminton super series in the world - and they've been organizing this year after year. Yet Peter Gade is unceremoniously loses to Rajiv Ouseph at 2:30 AM in the morning:

http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/gade-furious-after-exit-1.58071

Taufik also had to wait 3 hours to play and couldn't eat in the meantime, almost losing to Kevin Cordon (check Taufik's comments in the article above).

Is this how the Olympics will run? With players playing to 2:30 AM in the morning and players unable to eat their meals at the scheduled time? As Peter Gade mentioned, they could have run 5 courts instead of 4 courts. Also, if the timing was that tight, couldn't they have started the tournament a day earlier?

2:30 AM in the morning is unacceptable and unprofessional. Don't even mention the players - the umpire and line judges are prone to make mistakes at 2:30 AM in the morning, nevermind the players.

2. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Mods, please don't lump this into the Day 1 thread. This needs to be seen and heard, because this type of joke can't happen at the Olympics. It will just be an embarassment for badminton if the organizers do this at the Olympics.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

And I'll also have to add:

How can an umpire be allowed to effectively disqualify Koo and Tan at 19 all rubber match, by showing a yellow then a red card for something simple as a drink and a walk around the court?! :eek:

4. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

That's what I like to say to European, especially England badminton coaches & players, don't complain about the dominance of Asian countries in Badminton sport, just look at how poor you treat badminton itself!!! Just look at how poor you invest in badminton and how poor in organizing a Premier Super Series like this! Even for AE , which the English Badminton Asso is always proud of its historical statue in badminton sports, comparable to Wimbledon in Tennis ( only in history, but not quality of organization IMO... :D)

5. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Watched the koo/tan thing live.,they were repeatedly warned. They left serves and asked let when they were ready etc. Good to see an umpire enforcing continuous play, lots doubles pairs taking far too long...get ready twitch look down, walk away, hand slap, get ready , hand up....so tedious for spectators.

The 2.30 match is a disgrace, its clear that 35 minute turn around on 2 courts can never work

6. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I agreed that it's very poor organized if a match has to play at 2:30am. But I don't agree with title. Peter Gade didn't lose the match because of the organizers. Didn't his opponent have to play at 2:30am also? Taufik couldn't eat for 3 hours. If he's hungry, and there were still 3 matches (for example) before his match, he could definitely find something to eat. 3 matches should last at least 1 1/2 hours.

7. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

That's really the point! 45 min per match is more reasonable.

8. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
  9. tiching99

tiching99 Regular Member

Genuine question: Does anyone know why? Seems like a silly regulation/rule to me ... but then again bwf is headquartered in kuala lumpur so maybe thats why, if you know what I mean ... (disclaimer: I'm malaysian)

10. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I have no idea. They seem to create some awful rules. The panel isn't all Malaysian so it doesn't matter where it's based.

11. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

From what I have observed, it looks like OSIM, the title sponsor, wants more visibility. Their logos around the umpire and service judge s chair space are now bigger. To accommodate for more space for their logos, the number of courts will have to be reduced. That s pretty stupid. Big does not mean better visibility. It s like Polo Ralph Lauren.( not sure about correct name.) They used to have smaller logos on their apparel which are visible yet classy. Now their logos are so big, it s loud and makes the brand look cheap and out of proportion. OSIM probably thought size is important. Well, from the mind awareness point of view, it s frequency and proportion that matters more. Well, from the spectators view, it s frequency, so 5 courts are better than 4. From the tv viewers point of view, if the logo is too big for the screen, it annoys the viewers enjoyment and jars the mind, so the effect is negative and the objective of giving OSIM more space by standardising to 4 courts, misfires. Plus, doing it at the expense of players and fans, will backfire on them. I may be wrong. I just thought the space around the umpire and service judge s areas look so out of proportion, it s weird. ( By the way, OSIM is a Singapore company. So I m not surprised they want maximum bang for their bucks. Except the extra bang is negative. Haven t they heard bigger does not mean better.)

12. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Remember that one BCer complained about the lack of INA's organizer's proffesionalism?? it turned that INA Open SSP was voted the best tournament by players and official...
    Remember that BWF allows 4 courts for SS except for Japan Open which the hall they use has to be clear before 9.30 pm as I believe...
    Also it is very common that it starts at 9 am instead of 10 am..it may help....

Again the rule as far as I know as I have asked before ..BWF stresses 45 minutes, not 35 minutes...
    also BWF official in this case the Refereeds has to look at the schdule and I am surprised why he or she allows 35 minutes instead of 45 minutes....the blames goes to BWF official who approves the schedule, not the organizer...

for OSIM logo..it is set and it has to be that way especially for TV court....
    Please note that playes adapt 21 scoring well...take a look a few years ago..we hardly see any 1 hour match...but last 2 years...it is more and more matches lasted over 1 hour especially on WD....
    Again I think it should start at 9 am on first day of tournament, not 10 am....thats my opinion...

13. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Yes...it is located in Malaysia but officials are not Malaysian entirely..they are Danish, English, mostly european...

14. johnv

johnv Regular Member

IT
    I hope the powers that be can sort out how these large tournaments are run and make a better experience ahead for players, fans and audiences. Even small tournaments often have scheduling issues.

I couldn't help noticing the the link "Traffic Nightmare" in the most read section of the Gade Fury and Hidayat Rages pages. Strange connection - people trying get to work or play on time can get upset. People who have sat through enough of those jams can understand what tiching99 means.

ref: http://www.nst.com.my/latest/traffic-nightmare-1.58173

15. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    TH did not know he had to wait for 3 hours..remember that most of players when they decide to eat something..they prefer 1 hour before their matches...it is very common that they need to warm up and streching before that....some players think that they can eat after the matches and if it is way too late then they could not eat...even eating fruits may not help much...thats my opinion!!

16. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree. Gotta start at 9am. But last match will still end at 2am. The number of courts have to be 5 when a tournament is highly competitive. BWF cannot standardise in this way because tournament standards are not all the same.

17. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Again BWF promises to standarize the PLAYER Lounge for all SS/SSP....ALL Englad does not have "standard" players lounge except INA Open SSP which their players lounge got BWF's attention....we know there will be delay due to long matches..and it is very important that we provide massage chairs ( courtesy of OSIM), snacks, fruits,hot food, noodle, games..computer, WIFI, TV and magazines/books and cozy chairs as some players like to take a nap.....so far all SS do not have that....

18. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Yes, this aspect BWF should standardise. They want players to perform at their best, food and rest must be minimum standard.

19. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Actually, the player that "slept in" that day would have the advantage by luck, because of the unpredicted delay in the schedule. Everybody's body runs on a biological clock and between Peter Gade and Rajiv Ouseph, whoever was more awake by 2:30 AM would have the advantage. Read here for more information about sleep hormones and their effect on alertness and feeling sleepy:

http://www.vaxa.com/sleep-melatonin.cfm

The point is, the match shouldn't have been decided by who was more awake and who was more sleepy at 2:30 AM in the morning! Badminton is a sport that highly depends on alertness and reflexes - whoever could stay awake by 2:30 AM in the morning had a huge advantage! It is a reasonable expectation that all matches start between 10 AM to 9:10 PM - that is what the athletes prepared for.

What if Peter Gade has a typical schedule where he likes to get up at 7 AM in the morning but Rajiv Ouseph likes to get up at 9 AM in the morning? If their match had started at 9:10 PM as per the schedule, both would have been able to play their optimal game. But when the match starts around 1:00 AM in the morning, Rajiv Ouseph would probably have the advantage because he slept in and was more alert at 1:00 AM in the morning. In this case, Rajiv Ouseph would have lucked out because of the delay in scheduling and because his opponent felt very sleepy and less alert because of the schedule!

The organizers definitely deserve the blame for Peter Gade's loss, be it BWF or Badminton England. It's unreasonable to expect players to play at their optimal level by 2:30 AM in the morning. Peter Gade may not have accounted for the delay in schedule in his preparations for the match (ie. he should have slept in that day).

#19 galaxyduo, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  20. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Is there a reason they could not have used two days for the Round of 32 instead of one day? If Badminton England knew they could only use 4 courts and had estimated each match would take 50 minutes (instead of the 40 minutes they initially believed), they would have easily determined that it is impossible to fit all the matches for the Round of 32 in one day. In the worst case that they have to play all the round of 32 matches in one day, they could have at least started the tournament at 9:00 AM instead of 10:00 AM.

Both Badminton England and BWF share the blame in this if what you say is true. Badminton England shares the blame because they estimated each match would take 40 minutes and they started the tournament at 10:00 AM. BWF shares the blame for forcing 4 courts instead of 5 courts.

The organizers for both Badminton England and BWF need to be replaced immediately before the Olympics start. I would hate to see news headlines for badminton about players losing at the Olympics because they had to play at 2:30 AM in the morning.