slow after lifting weights

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by NeverWalkAlone, Feb 11, 2012.

1. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

Hey, i tried doing deadlifts the last two days. It really helped with my movement around the court. My movements are alot faster now. Thanks man.

However, my stroke swing is still slow. As i mentioned before, after doing the bicep/forearm curls, my swing felt restricted and unable to fully utilise my wrist to whip the shuttle down as b4. Also, before starting with weigths, i was using a head heavy racket (at700) and was comfortable with it. However, now, i have to change to an even balanced (arc 8dx). The at700 suddenly felt heavier to swing than b4. I'm confused:confused:.

2. NeverWalkAlone

http://www.brendanchaplin.co.uk/building-badminton-athletes/

I love the site! It's very informative and easy to read. However, i do hate the chest exercises, seems like it's the main staple for upper body strength in badminton. Given that i'm only 170cm tall, it's gonna make me look short:D. I'll probably just reduce the weights.

#22 NeverWalkAlone, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  3. NeverWalkAlone

Slowly regaining my swing speed. Currently, doing dumbell press and dumbell pull with 2 sets@ 7-10 reps with 3 kilos each for upper body (low weight/high rep). Deadlifts with 2 sets@ 7-10 reps with 8 kilos each for lower body (medium weight/medium reps). Given the weights are light, the exercises are done daily within 20-minute session only. In the future, i will add monkey bar pull up(core) and single leg exercises (lower body).

Thanks especially to andy, dlp and ohmahgawdz for ur inputs. Both ur opinions on low weight/high rep and high weight/low rep exercise are equally important. Badminton requires both speed and strength. Although my exercise are mostly low weight/high reps for now, i will maintain high weight/low reps for strength but with longer rest durations, probably 3 days to maintain my strength.

4. johnv

johnv Regular Member

IT
    I did want to ask about routine scheduling. How to fit weight training and playing sessions into a 7 day week with enough time for recovery?
    Playing 2 sessions per week and 2 weight sessions per week leaves a maximum of 1 day rest (not even).

The result is often playing while still sore or doing weights when fatigued tired - not ideal for either exercise.

Anyone have a suggestion how they deal with it?

5. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

This is my problem also... I play on Tues/Thursday and sometimes sat or sun .. but there are only so many days in the week...

6. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

Agreed, weights interfere with sport specific/endurance training and vice versa. The best balance I've found was a program recommended to me by a personal trainer (and competitive power lifter) called 5/3/1. Basically, it's better for those who are training in a sport in addition to lifting, because of periodization. You start with one week that is fairly easy, then a medium week, then a really hard week, then a deload/recovery week if you feel you need one. Then you reset and add a bit of weight to all of the lifts, and repeat. The program is very flexible, as only the "big lift" (squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press) that you're doing on a given day is obligatory, so you can skip some or all of your assistance lifts if you aren't feeling 100% on that day. The weight progression is also slower than you'll find in beginner or other intermediate programs. After doing Starting Strength in the off-season, the trainer told me to switch to 5/3/1 when I started playing more badminton and doing more footwork/cardio. I find that doing 5/3/1 only hinders my badminton noticeably during the hard week, since that's the one where you're supposed to hit a new personal record on each big lift.

Cole's Notes version: Lift lighter for a week, heavy on-court training during that week. Then a week of a balance between the two. Then heavy lifting and light badminton for a week. Then reset. If you want a program to tell you exactly how heavy/light to go, look up 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler.

I know most high-level athletes have to periodize according to the time of year as well, doing more weights in the off-season and more sport-specific stuff when they're competing. This is probably due to the recovery issue you mentioned.

For anyone who's interested, you can buy the book for 5/3/1 here http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/12/531-2nd-edition-ebook-now-for-sale/. The book is definitely worth the read, because the program is strictly regimented, so it's easy to mess up the weights/progressions without something to refer to. On the bright side, it tells you how to calculate the exact weight you need to do on each set, of each lift, on each day. So once you set it up, there's no more thinking involved :D.

Also, make sure you eat and sleep a lot.

Hope this helps!

#26 OHMAHGAWDZ, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  7. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    5/3/1 is a good strength program, however the way you've described it is not correct. Also Its not designed for badmintron training although it does include sprints. SHoulder press is not a lift most players will want to be trying to get strong at.

8. Mstornessbliss

Mstornessbliss New Member

i would never listen to anyone on some forum about weight training.

it is a very important thing to do the research for yourself and ask people who actually know what they are talking about

9. NeverWalkAlone

10. NeverWalkAlone

Please do not add any comments if u are not interested to add anything, but instead belittling people who tried to share their experiences here. Not all of us here have accessed to high tech gyms or coaches to seek advices to. The main purpose for this forum was to share experiences, so if anyone has anything to share, just write. Whether the advices are right or wrong, if it works for u, try it and if it doesn't, just stop and try something else.

Just want to add. It's been a few weeks since i started this thread, and has been continuing with some of the exercises i got from here. After doing some research and trials and errors, i can conclude that there are three type of exercises important for badminton; lower body, core and upper body.

For the lower body and core, the explosiveness can be trained by dead lifts and squats. Regarding the upper body, it's still trials and errors for me. However, strokes was slightly improved after i use the spring hand grip to help with finger strength. I'll update once any improvements are made.

pepe54 likes this.
  11. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

good post - I find when i train my upper body it tends to mess my timing up as I am stronger... it's really tricky to find a good balance - lower/core are relatively easy as this is all about movement and the margins not as critical.

12. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

Generally I never do isolation exercises any more. Building muscle mass is never helpful for badminton. I found out the hard way.
    If you do like weight training, I'd only recommend doing four exercises and that should be enough for building a good physique without sacrificing your badminton performance.
    1. squat
    2. clean and press
    3. deadlift
    4. bench press
    In order of importance.

I've done a lot of personal research into bodybuilding, powerlifting, badminton etc..
    My program is basically those four exercises along with balance training (bosu ball squats, one legged squat with foot on the flat of the bosu ball), monkey ups, "skater" (hopping one leg to the other traversing sideways), resistance band training (chest press, squat and leg extensions etc), lunges, etc etc.
    All of the exercises are geared towards increasing power.
    Basically read this article and you will have a good guideline of what you need to do: http://www.mensjournal.com/everything-you-know-about-fitness-is-a-lie

Of course, this is my most recent program. I've done a lot of programs in the past that have built a strong base strength (deadlift and squat over 300lbs, bench over 200lbs), achieve great agility/explosiveness (36" vert), muscle mass (5'5" 160 lbs, fairly lean), aerobic/anaerobic capacity (1-2 mins recovery time), cardiovascular capacity (average 45-50 bpm).

In general, you gotta pick out one goal at a time and build that, you can't do it all and excel at everything.
    If you're going for muscle mass (what isolation exercises are known for), you will always sacrifice agility, speed and explosiveness. And those three are is needed in badminton.
    The only type of training I have come across that gives the muscle mass along with the requirements of badminton is (american) football training. But those are freakishly insane workouts. Workouts I would not wish upon even my enemies.

All in all, quit doing bicep curls and forearms. Work on the four I recommended.
    You will gain the biceps, triceps and grip strength (and generally the "fit" physique) as a by-product of doing those exercises.

13. NeverWalkAlone

Thanks. i want to add clean and press into my routines next. There's something i noticed last few weeks. it's kinda funny too. But do any of u guys hv problem relieving in the toilet after doing dead lifts? :p

if u do, i found out that after doing abs exercise, the problem seems to goes away. lol.

14. Edward Ng

Edward Ng New Member

Student
    Bruce Lee vs. Arnold, wow perfect example