Lee vs. Shon, net play fault (video)

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by jajvirta, Jan 6, 2012.

1. thomastan

thomastan Regular Member

between LCW N Shon, LCW sure can give Shon benefit of the doubt. 1 point, 2 point, 3 point. it ok de..
    Lin Dan cannot.. Every point is precious..

2. sesepuh

sesepuh Regular Member

Curious to find the truth. Anyone of you is an umpire? Or it is just your opinion base on the rules? Anyone ask about this to any umpire?

3. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Yes, I am an umpire ;)

4. H8work

H8work Regular Member

Nope definetly not a fault racket still not Lee side it's a defensive shot, racket went straight up. if he waved it around could be called an obstruction or distraction

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    This 'obstruction rule' is brought in because of safety reason

Let's look at some BCers' posts which do not understand why it should be called a 'fault'. These BCers are thinking that the shuttlecock is there for Shon to hit, no matter where LCW's rackethead is.

This 'obstruction rule' was brought in because of safety reason. As I have said before "LCW cannot obstruct Shon Wan Ho's racket-head's path of follow-through".

Let's put it in another way. If LCW's head (not LCW's racket-head) was there, would Shon attempt to hit the shuttlecock knowing that he could hit LCW's head when executing the stroke with his follow-through?

I would say "NO". Shon would complain that if he were to do his stroke, he would have hit LCW's head, and he would not do so (so as to not cause injury to LCW's head).

Other sports (Squash, Field Hockey, etc, etc, ......) have also use such rule. It is meant to prevent accident.

For Badminton players who think that don't worry about any accidents, just hit the shuttlecock - I would say that you will make Badminton a dangerous sport.

#25 chris-ccc, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

you dont have to wave the racket for it to be obstructing, which IT IS in this video.