Who's trying out for the UofToronto baddy team?

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by wildstyler, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    well, it's saturday, who made this team??

i thought my friend would join since he did go to the tryout, but he decided he couldn't devote that much time to practice... 4 times a week?!?!?!

but should still be a decent team, i hear there are quite a number of good players...

2. wildstyler

wildstyler Regular Member

student
    canada in the school year and hong kong in the sum
    Made the team :) .

3. Bandin

Bandin Regular Member

Student
    Me too :) . But I'm manager, I won't get as much court-time.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    well done:) :cool:

5. William86_98

William86_98 Regular Member

Student
    hahaha..alrighty..

who's who

6. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    haha, i talked to brian tjoa and his wife a few days ago... i'm happy that i didn't tryout.... they told me that mr. king's practices are like... PURE fitness.... i think cheryl told me before, but maybe i didn't think she was serious or something....

have fun suckers =P

j/k =)

7. William86_98

Student
    i dunno...

how any team can call themselves a varsity level team..if they don't do fitness.

it's fitness that makes the shots possible..not the other way around

:D

8. Bandin

Bandin Regular Member

Student
    its me, brandon :cool:

fitness lets u get behind the shuttle! i know that cuz im not fit and i cant get behind the shuttle ... so the reverse must be true haha

#28 Bandin, Sep 28, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  9. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    while i agree with that, it should also be noted that it doesn't matter how fit you are if you can't hit the bird very well =)

notice how i said i heard that the practices were "pure" physical

speaking of which, who is going to the UofT invitational this weekend??

10. William86_98

Student
    well...i would have to disagree with the "pure" physical part. cuz at our last practice, we practically spent the whole practice hitting the shuttle. Sure, I would have to say that the majority of the emphasis is on fitness, but hitting is definitely incorporated into those drills as well.

apparently..there are roughly 100 some entries into the invitational

11. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    If you joined the team last year, you wouldn't be disagreeing about being "pure physical:. ;)

The reason this year it's less intense because the level of the team DROPPED drastically. Maybe Brock can even beat UT this year. :rolleyes:

Good thing Nanashi didn't try out because I know for sureNanashi can cream everyone on the team. :p

Have fun on the team!

PS. All the all stars left the team this year was because they hated the coach....LOL...

12. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    haha, good joke zero

hmm... i can't wait to see a team roster.....
    and i think fayaz told me that stephen hurt his shoulder?? if he didn't join, maybe that's why??

are you playing the UT tourny zero?

btw, u better play the intramural singles in october =P

13. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Team roster is horrible! If fayaz was on the team, he would be the best singles player there...LOL

Of course not playing the tourney, waste of money. I don't like the coach, he doesn't like me.... :rolleyes:

14. Bandin

Bandin Regular Member

Student
    A team, whether badminton or not, is not made up soley of the individual players. A team roster won't tell you anything but names, either. Maybe the Blues Badminton team will win some this year, maybe they won't. That's not important right now. What IS important is that THIS particular team has SPIRIT and EVERYONE on it is motivated and has a common goal. Given that the majority of the team is young this year (1st and 2nd year), given the chance to improve upon we could become a very strong team in the future.

15. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    What is this goal you speak of? To win? If so, I'm pretty sure most of the better players play to win too.

And yes, individual players DO MAKE the team. But it is the coaches responsibily to discipline the players to help mould everyone into a team.

So are you saying all the other teams don't have spirit and aren't motivated? If so, open up your eyes! :eek: ...j/k
    I'm pretty sure the BETTER PLAYERS that tryed out had spirit and motivation, or otherwise why would they join the team? Answer me that plz. ;)

16. Bandin

Bandin Regular Member

Student
    I'm not claiming to know anything about the others who tried out and didn't make it. There were a lot of really skilled players that tried out, and to be perfectly honest, some that I thought would make the team due to their abilities, but didn't.

What I AM saying, though, is that a team isn't just made up of all the best skilled badminton players stacked together. If that were the case, the team this year would look different.

Winning is an obvious goal, but what about forming together as a team? You don't need to be on a team to win, but you DO need to be on a team to merge together and grow as one. They are seperate things.

How do you judge who is a "better" player than the other? This year, obviously badminton skill was not the only factor when it came down to the final selections. Being "better" than someone is pretty subjective in the first place.

I'm sure there are LOTS of players that go to U of T that have more badminton skill than those on the Varsity team. That doesn't mean that these people deserve to be Varsity. To those that didn't make the final selection, but knew they had something they could possibly provide to benefit the team, why didn't they argue when the coach asked if everyone had a fair try-out? When he asked this, EVERYONE raised their hand.

17. William86_98

Student
    at the end of the day..

all that matters is that....those who didnt' try out..dont' deserve to be on the varsity team. they are not varsity athletes, no matter how much they like to claim that they can be one....they're not..

it really doesn't matter...excuses are stupid....and if you can't be happy on the team..and play well..then.ur not a team player.it don't matter how good u are...

u can be the world number one...and not be a varsity athlete..simply..becuz u dun have the attitude to be one

(when i say u...i am generalizing....nothing personal to anyone)

so maybe..the team this year..is missing some stars.maybe the skill isn't as high...but these are the ppl...who tried..and earned their spots onto the varsity team..and as to those "stars"..what right do they have to criticize?..they don't....cuz..they didnt' even take the time to try out..they couldnt' get over what attitude problem that they had....

i have nothing against them not coming out..that's their choice....but by no means should they be putting down other ppl just becuz those ppl DID try out...

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Let's say it is a matter of individual choice wether a person wants to go to the tryouts for the varsity team and then is part of the team.

And nice to know those better players graciously didn't attend tryouts. That allows a new generation of players in. These new guys get some experience and get to embellish their curriculum vitas. :cool:

19. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    I m sure Will86 can whoop anyone that was on the team this year and LAST year.

20. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    You wanna bet? :D
    If so, name a price and I'll ask the coach. I'm not talking about me, but a player that was on the team last year, but quit this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.