muscle pains

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by derekso, Jan 23, 2012.

1. derekso

derekso Regular Member

after playing intense badminton, my muscles started to ache here and there. i'm wondering if i'm using correct form............
    here are the places that ached:

right handed
    singles player

calves left and right
    thighs are sore when walking.
    the muscles on the right side of my back
    when i do a rotation of my right arm all the muscles around the shoulder hurt like a lot, they hurt the most. my right forearm is sore when i use them. especially when i play the piano, i have difficulty playing the higher tier speedy songs due to soreness of the right fore arm.

and when i squeeze my behind together, the right cheek muscles hurt.

is this a sign of bad form. if it is, you pros out there please help me. :crying:

thank you so much guyz.

2. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    When was the last time you played badminton? These all sounds like muscle aches from atrophied muscles right after a hard badminton session that your body isn't used to.

If you get these normally even though you've been playing regularly, you may have never pushed yourself that hard before past your current limits.

I get all these muscle aches if I haven't played in a month or more, fairly typical. It doesn't sound like an injury, but if you've been pretty fit and this is a sudden oncome and doesn't subside, then maybe it'll be more serious. I don't think it'll be that though.

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    did u warm up and prestretch?

what about cool down and post-stretch?

4. derekso

derekso Regular Member

yea, i played around 7 hours of badminton yesterday. much more than i usually do. i just want to make sure that they are the "right" muscles that should be hurting.
    like if my left hand is hurting, then theres something wrong lol.

5. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    7 hours. That's.... insane. How many hours were you playing before that? And how often do you play normally per week for how many hours per session? I would say 7 hours is pretty taxing and would result in muscle aches like that

6. derekso

derekso Regular Member

2 hours a day when season starts or else 3-5 hours every sat and sun.
    i played 7 hours cause i had nothing to do, why not spend that time trying to get better XD

7. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    I suspect that's the reason why. Don't push yourself too hard because once you become more tired, there is a higher chance of injury due to tired footwork. 7 hours is quite beyond what you normally do. The upside is once you stop hurting, you'll have adjusted your body to have more endurance because you played so long and developed stronger muscles. Normally you do these things in small increments for gradual improvement, not twice your normal workout all of a sudden so I wouldn't recommend doing this in the future.

Just rest up, you're going to be hurting for around 2-3 days, maybe even 4 if you really stretched your limits. No more than that though.

8. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

yeah its normal for your rightside to hurt more, especially from the lunges and back hand/swings your right side of glutes and lower back is gonna hurt a bit. calves are probably from jumping a lot for 7 hours.

get some active recovery, compression gear or a massage will help your circulation for recovery.

i'm a big fan of supplements so you can try to find some creatine or l-glutamine for recovery :D

9. derekso

derekso Regular Member

thanks guys

10. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

All of your lower-body soreness is normal. As long as it's not a sharp pain, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you eat lots of food, especially protein-rich food, and rest up. The forearm and shoulder are also probably normal, again as long as it's soreness and not pain. If your shoulder is in pain, you might need to correct your overhead stroke (not enough wrist, too much arm, or bad timing).
    As far as your back, that might not be normal. Maybe you stretched a lot to the side to get a shot and strained it a bit? If it's not okay in a few days, I'd consider seeing a physiotherapist. You don't want to take chances with something like a back injury. Same with your shoulder - rotator cuff injuries aren't fun either.
    But chances are you're fine, just take it easy, do some stretching, and eat like a pig :D.

11. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

Oh and for the shoulder, if it's just sore and not in pain, you're probably fine.

12. johnv

johnv Regular Member

IT
    7 hours?! thats probably got something to do with it.

Soreness is ok, it will lessen with conditioning.

Do weight training exercises in off season to help maintain muscle tone. Helps with power on court too.