Yonex is fooling us!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mms6a, Jan 5, 2012.

1. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Copied from the previous reply:

REMEMBER, racquets are not the main problem here...

Getting a Yonex made in Taiwan $70-90 racquet and a $150 - $250 made in Japan racquet is no difference.

Just make sure the racquet is around 3U or 4U range (I prefer 3U though, 4U is a tad light for me)

Make sure that it is a Carbon graphite/fiber or whatever

String it to a tension depending your skill level and use the string of your playing style (ATTACKING, DEFENSING etc.)

Now all it matters is your skills and techniques...

Even if you have the top of the line YONEX NanoSpeed 9900, or Voltric 80, or ArcSaber 10/Z-Slash, or MusclePower 100, or Armortech 900 P/T,

The question is DOES IT REALLY MATTER???!??!??!???

If you are not going to be that good at technique, just spend less money on a flashy racquet and more money in getting a court to practice or maybe get a little bit of lessons....

NOT TO MENTION, grips are actually more important than a racquet...
    MAKE SURE you get a good grip size when you order your racquet that fits your hand. OR you can always build the grip with overgraps, but the balance will no longer be the original manufacturer's balance, and also the weight of the racquet might go a little higher (depending on how many grips you are building with.)

String is important, if you bought a Z-Slash and strung it with crappy BG-8s you will not get the desired performance. Try BG-80/85/65 Ti (a bit slippy though)/66 (Ultimax/Maxima)/Nanogy 98 etc.

Does it matter if your racquet has that "(Ultra) High Modulus Carbon Graphite", "(X)-Fullerene", G-Force Ti", "Ultra PEF", "Elastic Ti", Cup-Stacked Carbon Nanotubes", or even just the traditional "Carbon Nanotubes" ???!??!??!

THE ANSWER IS NOOOOO!!!!! IT DOES NOT MATTER....

These thing are just minimal additive that is part of Yonex's Marketing Campaign tio build up hype..

In reality, the performance is similar to other racquets of the same balance, stiffness and weight.....

Forget about all those fancy YONEX vocab (Ultra HM Carbon, Sound Filter, X-Fullerene)....

I mean will I really hear a difference of sound filter or not on the Voltric 80?
    The Answer is NO, I WILL NOT HEAR A DIFFERENCE.

Yonex Sound Filter my ass

Just get some BG 66s/80s or Nanogy 98s and you are SET!!!!!!

2. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

I agree that this is the most important aspect of playing badminton and choosing one particular racquet over the other :)

There is no right or wrong, or if this or that racquet/string/tension/grip [size/type] will suit "me" more. The SAME applies to all the professional players too.

3. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

I dont think you are entirely wrong nor right, But at the same time, racket choice is a personal preference. Different rackets work for different people. Even if you like the NS100, someone may like the NS9900, and will use it accordingly. There are minute differences in the rackets that wont make a difference for most players, but someone with a high enough level can see the difference and appreciate

As for the Marketing Hype, don't all companies do it? not just Yonex?

4. ghoster4u

ghoster4u Regular Member

What i agreed and always beliefs for a long time is yonex dont have value for money racket.
    Even thought there were some diff but the price is just to much.

5. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    why must Yonex? Li Ning is more expensive.

6. awekuda

awekuda Regular Member

Pemukul Bulu
    i think all the company use marketing hype to market their product.... agreed with drifit.. lining seems the most expensive badminton brand here :D but still a lot of baddy using that brand.. maybe their marketing hype really made the impact :D.. for me... just used the racket you comfortable with either for your hand or your pocket :D...

7. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I don't agree one bit with the OP. There are big difference in material and quality of rackets in different priceranges. To say that all rackets are the same and only strings and grip?!?! matter is only true if you are not good enough to really push the limits of the frames/shaft.

Marketing BS is a different matter with all catch-frazes marketing mumbo-jumbo, ltd coloring versions.. buzzwords etc.that are really a mockery to consumers. Mkt. dept. often trying to avoid the itty-gritty details in the specs and replace them with new technolgy with catchy names and provide little detail about how it was tested adn the science behind it. For example.. They may hype CNT, but placement and exactly of how much etc. are never mentioned.

This Marketing BS creates a gap of what is promised/expected and what is delivered. And I think this is where YY has dug itself a deep hole!! If you for example make ads for a racket claiming it smash 421km/h and speed measurements have it outperformed at pretty much any tournament, then reality doesn't add upp to the marketing BS for example.

If you sell it like a Lexus, you can't take shortcuts, use cheap material, skip good QC, have low warranties etc.etc..

But this is not the same as stating material and technology therefore are not important in rackets.. This is just a marketing problem for YY not walking the talk!! I and many people expect the "made in japan" sticker to really have some meaning.. If it doesn't apart from adding extra dollars to the pricetag, then people are bound to feel "fooled"??

8. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

You are a funny one.

For someone who is complaining about yonex, 4 out of your 5 rackets is made by yonex.

why not vote with your wallet and try other brands?

9. Warlock

Warlock Regular Member

Marketing exist in everywhere...likewise in badminton....

If u talk about yonex fooling us,then I would say Li Ning is even a bigger "scammer"

Can you justify a racket closing near to 400sgd for a made in china Li Ning racket compared to a near 300sgd for a made in Japan yonex?
    *the above is my personal opinion*

But at the end of the day,it depends on which advertising u r sold on to...

For me any brand of racket works if I feel comfy playing with it in my hands.
    Be it a yonex,victor,carlton,Wilson,head,apacs,kason,gosen,Dunlop.
    Having a 100pieces of racket in my arsenal lets me know what is the definition of stiffness and flexibility that each brand possess.
    And how fast is fast with each diff brand and the variants of it.

No two brands are alike,the most you can find is up to 75% similarity is what I can come up with.

At the end of the day,I find that brand bashing to the extreme is uncalled for.

#9 Warlock, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  10. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    I am not brand bashing Yonex

The matter of fact that I have been using Yonex for over 10 years now, not because of the marketing, but because of the durability I have experience with the past racquets and it is widely avaliable in Canada.

From the more recent racquets however, I feel the quality of newer models may not be on-par as the older models (MP-99 etc)

Though I have not cracked or clashed any of the newer racquets so far, so I cannot tell how durable the racquet is, but the paint does seem to chip more easily than before.

11. jeri_aries11

jeri_aries11 Regular Member

Student
    i dont agreed about your opinion.you r not from engineering field right?some ordinary people always mention & repeating that statement..
    engineers r struggle to develop something new product even the differen between the old one and the new technology is only in mili or micro..
    only person that has engineering background and R&D know about the details.So please dont make a silly assumption like this.trust us.we r engineer

12. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

hmm..i think every1 have his or her right of opinion...

to me.... chosing... a racket... be it....taiwan or japan..made..or with which spec..such as the so called "(Ultra) High Modulus Carbon Graphite", "(X)-Fullerene", G-Force Ti", "Ultra PEF", "Elastic Ti", Cup-Stacked Carbon Nanotubes

is important....

maybe i think more scientifically.....

its the same as chosing a car....

if i have a choice....

i chose german than japanese..

even in a car.. there come with so many difference spec..or features.... do i know them all? of course.. not....

but i personally..feel beta when i drive one with alot of good features...

its the same in badminton.... i prefer japanese made...yonex... than other..

its a personal..perference..only... no rite or wrong....

13. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    So you feel cheated cuz the paint chips more easily in your opinion? I have yet to have a chip on any of my singles racket. I have several small chips on my doubles rackets due to rackets clashing. But I expect a chip when I clash rackets.

14. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I dislike YY rackets, because when I played at 28lbs I never had a successful warranty from them on racquets £100+. I swapped to £60 racquets from Yehlex, Carlton and Head and the quality and customer service was better, for me.
    But I can't fault YY, they have very good racquets, but I can't afford the breakages with lack of warranty that I was getting. Given the chance I would play with ARC10s or NS9900Ltd Green if I got them free.
    Every manufacturer over-hypes their racquets. Head D30 material... A gel that stiffens on impact so it helps in smashes but allows bend in control shots, will that really help soo much in a badminton racquet? Doubt it. Li-Ning Air stabilising system, or whatever it's called, doubt that does much either.

15. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think mms6a has a valid point that YY really haven't really been innovative in the performance aspects, but instead focused on "profit making" by saving cost of production, doing minimal development. lots of "editions", new colors, limited editions etc. on both their rackets and shoes. Why competitors have been more agressive in trying to develop professional gear advancing their positions.

I find that YY has many loyal customers who doesn't even TRY models from other brands because of Yonex really strong brand-name since the glory days when they made Carbonex :) . But I think Yonex is walking on thin ice with sloppy paintjobs, all the frigging repainted old models, ltd editions, low warranties and less and less top players endorsed.

I really think YY needs to work harder if they want to stay at the top of the baddy scene!!

If you buy the best, most expensive racket they sell you expect they can at least give it some high quality paintjob?? For example my JP VT80 had paint-bubbles on the frame when i got it wrapped unstringed from factory!!!

I agree the low warranties and, not so durable frame (less expensive graphite/fullerene, non woven etc) is really not what you would expect in that pricerange from pro-gear..

But it different of course for different models..I find ARC-10 Very roboust.. ARC-Z, VT70, NS-models less so.

VT80 i think the frame is OK (but dont like the cost cutting voltric frame design) m and the shaft is great, but I think it also has some issues with the nanopreme shafts material over time..

#15 twobeer, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  16. Rivai Zhukov

Rivai Zhukov Regular Member

Student
    Every racket has differences.
    What you pay is what you get.

17. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

But you know something.

All these current top of the range technology on "halo" rackets will end up in mid tier rackets within 3-5 years. So it is all good for everyone :)

One must remember that no one is forcing you to buy the top of the range racket. You can leave these "halo" rackets to people with deep pockets.

18. erictung

erictung Regular Member

The materials for the frame and the coating for VT 80 should be at least somewhat more expensive than other rackets.

Why?

I clashed my racket with other people about 4 times (not that lightly too) and dropped it a couple times :p (clumsy me) and there is absolutely no dent and no scratches/marks. I inspect my racket very closely each time I clash because I don't have all that much money to spend on a new racket.

At least they aren't lying about some features of the racket, like VT 80 providing much more power to the shots.

19. Kwongie

Kwongie New Member

I agree with skill/technique, strings, grip, etc. being a factor on how one plays badminton, but I don't agree that Yonex (or any other company really) is just making a bunch of racquets similar to each other and labeling a higher price on the newest thing. Sure, they may over exaggerate, but that's advertisement for you, not lying, but stretching the truth. If a player is already playing well, has the perfect grip, perfect tension, and etc., why not spend a few extra bucks for a racquet that can improve your game? I'm really one of those people that try a few racquets, then buy it if I like it, but I do think there are a lot of people who buy racquets because it's the latest thing, then they find out that the racquet they just bought totally doesn't suit/appeal to them.

20. Chayady

Chayady Regular Member

Just wondering why TS use Yonex only as example?Do you have any hidden agenda?If not, i think it is fair if you create another thread about other brand too :)