best way to improve your game, not racket, nor your smash.....

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Jun 23, 2003.

1. GiGaChip

GiGaChip Regular Member

Say, I don't have a place (it takes a while to go to the clubs and I dont have that time or resource to get there) or a wooden floor to practice footwork. Would it be ok to practice footwork on some other surface (say i somehow measured a court sized area and began to do footwork)? I know the feeling and resistance isn't the same, but maybe something like a cement floor or something...?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Go ahead! Badminton is played on many types of surfaces depending on the facility. Not all floors are wood.

3. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Strongly agree footwork is one of the basic skills one needs to master, but my coach keeps telling me it is not important in playing doubles :mad: So, I cannot make him teach me proper footwork...well I asked few times but he never done it.
    So, I have to learn from experts in this forum. I heard things about footwork like "scissor" or "split", what does it mean ? Can someone please explain to me ?

Thanks.

4. MP_User

MP_User Regular Member

I completely agree that foot work is important, but where you position yourself after you take your shot is important too. In order to do so, you have to be able to somewhat predict your opponent's shot, which can only be done through experience. The combination of right positions on the court and perfect footwork will lead to more labour for your opponent(s), and a better chance of winning. (Although this concerns singles more than doubles)

5. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    A friend from Nanjing always does about 15-20 minutes of footwork drills after everybody else has left for the day. This after he has been playing for 2 or 3 hours. I recognize the advantages of this kind of drill, and even the benefits of doing it when you're tired to increase your overall stamina. I try to follow his example, but so far haven't sustained the program for more than a few consecutive times ( the group I play with meets Friday Saturday Sunday). Laziness is a big obstacle for me. Guess I should develop my characted more.

6. Cubanpuckstoppr

Cubanpuckstoppr New Member

System/Data Manager
  7. Bobatea

Bobatea Regular Member

I would have to disagree with your coach. Footwork is important in doubles. It may not be as important as singles (because you're covering the court on your own), but it really does help you get in position for returning and executing shots and you will notice an improvement.
    I don't know what the 'scissor' or 'split' means. I should probably search the forum and get into context. The only thing I can think of at the moment is the 'split step'. You probably already know this, but just in case I'll explain it a little. The 'split step' is used in almost every racquet sport. It's basically a little hop right before your opponent hits the bird (in the case of badminton). Your feet are generally at shoulder width or a little wider and standing at your ready position. What it does is prep your muscles to be able to react to the shot. This pretty much balances you and keeps you from moving before the shot is actually executed.

MP User: I agree that where you're positioned to receieve the shot is important. But it doesn't really require the skill to correctly read an opponent's shot (although that really does help a lot. Cuts down on your work physically and mentally ;) ). Footwork is what will really overcome this weakness. If you're having issues reading a persons shot and getting there in time, just work on footwork more.

#27 Bobatea, Sep 16, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    fire your coach!

footwork is just as important in doubles as in singles.

9. Bobatea

Bobatea Regular Member

Yes, fire the coach :rolleyes: . I can't believe he actually said that...

10. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    there is a saying. to play good doubles, you need singles footwork.

11. confuzzledfreak

confuzzledfreak Regular Member

Student
    i totally agree with this.....recently my strokes have been getting better, but definatly not my consistancy, ive decided it is due to my footwork, as I am so lazy :( (and always caught flat-footed)

12. confuzzledfreak

confuzzledfreak Regular Member

Student
    btw, it is ideal to have to move for every shot, right? :rolleyes:

13. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    skipping rope

I am also quite lazy as can rely on my reach, being fairly tall and flexible, so my footwork becomes slow and I stretch for the shot instead.

Though I run 6km a week, which helps build stamina, I find it did nothing for my court speed. I then took up skipping, and found like a boxer, it helps me get 'light' on my feet and easier to stay on my toes rather than get 'stuck' after hitting an awkward shot or return under pressure. So my tip for people who find their footwork is slow, but don't really want to do all the drills and feel a bit dumb doing footwork practice, I find this helps a bit too.

14. viver

viver Regular Member

In my opinion, racquet strokes are as important as footwork. To position yourself properly you have to move in a speedy and coordinated way. When in position you need good racquet skills to strike the shuttle to achieve the maximum effect. However in a match situation where both players are very tired, I believe the player with better footwork has the edge and bigger chance to win.

But what you consider as good footwork? What do look in a player and say he/she has good footwork? Is it the smoothness (i.e. Hoyer-Larsen, Yang Yang), speed/athleticism (i.e. Zhao Jianhua), more strenght-based (i.e. Xia Xuanzi), leg speed (i.e. Gong Zhichao), etc. Anybody care to provide some insights?

15. esca007

esca007 Regular Member

footwork

Hi,
    your message about improving footwork is logical, so my question is how to go about improving your footwork? I want to improve my footwork as well but I don't really know where to start. Any suggestions? thanks

esca007

16. Radium

Radium Regular Member

Student
    Footwork is all about speedy movement, and although smoothness is needed, so is leg and lower body power. Badminton is an explosive game so leg exercises are a good choice.
    You can practice traditional exercises, such as squats etc, but I find standing on my tiptoes, while shifting wieght quickly from one foot to another helps. Bending your legs is neccesary. This replicates a similar stance found on a badminton court, and it helps with leg strength and balance.

17. acwong

acwong Regular Member

I agree Footwork is definitely the MOST importantly skills in badminton. In an extreme case, if you are fast enough, you can basically avoid doing backhand clear for the whole game. (Obviously no one is THAT fast, but you get the point.)

18. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Lin dan is ALMOST fast enough. Watch the Ae 2004, I think he only did around 5 backhand clears.

19. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    Are you sure man...?

20. Kai91

Kai91 Regular Member

Student
    Hmm true...but how do i improve my footwork:confused: ? And shall we have another sticky on this?:)