Do you keep playing over summer?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Mag, Jun 4, 2004.

?

Do you play badminton during summer?

1. I keep playing as usual

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I play more than usual

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I play more seldom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I play some badminton, but engage more in other sports

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I play badminton outdoors

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I don't play badminton during summer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    I play the same.

Although unlike Kwun who is satisfied with only 365 days of badminton, I wish a year was more than 365 days so I could fit more badminton in. :D

2. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    What I have noticed is that the squads do not tend to play through the summer but have light training sessions to keep in with their workload as it were, where as the club players tend to keep playing all the way through the year and try to get in as much practice as they can because it is a more social setting.

It would depend because squad players or advanced players would only do light sessions because they would tend not to enter competitions (because there are none) during the off season and would not need to keep up the same level of fitness, so would not play in order to recover from the season they have just completed.

3. HelenaKTF

HelenaKTF Regular Member

Nurse
    Ondoor hall doesn't close so we play 52 weeks this year:-d! YAY!! Normally we have a 3 week stop:-(

4. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

summer = reduced gym hours = less play :mad:

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    :)
    Thank God we're in Singapore where the game is played the whole year round. Elsewhere, outside of the tropics, in countries with the four seasons, you need to be like Kwun who manages to play 365 days a year despite curtailed hours during Summer and Winter.

Maybe that is also one reason why Asian players are more dominant in the game as they have more hours to train. But what of China? Well, if they shift their training venue to southern China, they can avoid the vagaries of the weather in the north.

6. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Kwun's in the Bay Area ... what winter? :D

-dave

7. bluemp88lover

bluemp88lover Regular Member

Yeah! Singapore has summer all year round!:p

8. mnda_315

mnda_315 Regular Member

yeah Indonesia is same like S'pore.. it's summer everyday:D

9. bluemp88lover

bluemp88lover Regular Member

Yeah, it is always so hot around this region. Worse if it is humid. You get the "sticky" feeling.:eek: I hate it!:mad:

10. salamander89

salamander89 New Member

Student
    Best Sport ever

I wish I could play a whole lot. But I'm on holiday the year I get overly obsessed with the sport. The recreation centre near my place doesn't have very good time slots. During school, I'm not free for teen badminton every tuesday. I wish I could play on that day tho. Right now Im on holiday. I got a new racket. Wait.. I ordered one. But getting it 2 days from now. I can't wait. And when I finally get it, finding a place is gonna be so hard. That's what you get for loving a sport that if you want to really play, you need an indoor court.

11. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Math teacher and coach at Univesity of Montreal
    Usually, the tournament schedule is from end September to end April. Then, we take a break from end April to mid June to recover menatlly and physically from the season. From mid-June, we begin the physical trainning and by the beginning of July, we start the trainning on court as well.

JRMTL

12. libra

libra Regular Member

Anyone want to 'confess' to who voted for 'I don't play during the summer'? I noticed there was one vote for that.

By the way, I play all year round but the hall closes from Christmas to New Years so I have some difficulty finding courts during that time. :(

13. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    My school gym closed for a lot of time during summer. As for July, they only open for about 5 days only and it's all in this week. So, I am thinking that I will play them all! :)
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday(Tournaments), and Sunday.......It's going to be rough.....and hot (90 degrees+ 'F all the time)

14. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    Usually in the season i play quite alot 5x a week once personal coaching club nite county coaching another clubs nite and i coach
    This summer its been 4x a week with personal coachin a club nite were i also coach another club nite were the focus is less on coachin and more on the poub afterwards and i do a coaching session as well

the upshot of this is that since september 03 ive been playing 4x a week so now after a tendon damage problem in March this summer my knee 'collasped' now im a at least a month unable to hit a shuttle and looking to the new season and tournaments with questionning glances all at 16 ,my county manager isn't happy:mad: (also his son is my doubles partner:( )

so less keep your eye in over summer but bewere a rest is a good idea

15. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Now I can't play in the rest of summer.....because the gym is closed!!
    School gym is now performing the scheduled maintenance, which would take about roughly a week or two. :(

16. Rohly

Rohly Regular Member

I play a lot less for a few reasons

1.I play golf instead
    2.The club has less hours
    3.It costs £5 a night in the summer
    4. Holiday
    5.Coach injured
    6.I play golf and get obsessed in the summer just as i get obsessed with badders in the winter

17. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

Kwun's guestimate was quite accurate. He's put the options up in the same order of popularity as we have voted...impressive

(or does the software automatically rank the options before you voted for them, in which case ignore my post).

18. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Lol. but really now, would you put "I don't play badminton during the summer" option at the top? or in the middle?

Well, I seldom play during the summer because of full time job. >.<

19. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Regular Member

we're lucky here in the bay area....we have 2 clubs and now i hear theres like 3 or 4 facilities that are dedicated to badminton 7 days a week. bintang badminton and uhhh united badminton.....and something about a smash city or whatnot...but anyway, if someones looking to start an entreprenurship...theres an idea....open a badminton gym...all you need to do is get a warehouse, and add nets. Then just charge everyone $5 a pop.

20. krantikt

krantikt Regular Member

I wish it was such an easy task, get a warehouse, get some nets....lol....and then we have so many people picking on a particular kind of floor.
    I think it takes a lot more effort into runninf an open gym than just a warehouse. and as far as I know, $5 is a heck lot cheaper than many other dedicated badminton open gym's.

I play thruoghout the year, more so in summer. Being in the bayarea is a great advantage with the long open gym hrs.

Never feel lazy in summer.