Nitto Tape - Will this damage the string?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by allyjack110, Nov 4, 2011.

1. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    DSCF2602.jpg

Hi guys,

I've been playing at a new venue recently where the court surface is particularly rough. As such, I've noticed that the strings on my rackets around the 1, 2 and 10, 11 o'clock positions are becoming a little frayed due to me scooping up the shuttle. My concern is that this will ultimately lead to premature string breakages. As a result I have placed small sections of nitto tape (pvc electrical tape) around those positions to act as a barrier. My question is: Is this a good idea or is the adhesive on the tape likely to erode or damage the string?

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts. Thanks.

allyjack

2. anthemtwins

anthemtwins Regular Member

Software Developer
    It won't do any damage to your strings at all, but depending on how sticky the tape you've used is it may stick a little bit too well to the paint on the outside of your racket head!

I play with a guy who's done this religiously to his 9900's for as long as I've played at that club. (18+ months!)

3. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    Thanks Dude,

The tape is not especially sticky. In fact it's very easy to peel-off. My concern was that the adhesive would 'eat' away at the strings. Strangely, they feel ever so slightly head-heavier now.

4. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

Well of course. Nitto tape has weight, and you are putting it on the head of a racket. I assume you used at least a gram, so its effect will be noticeable. no worries, its not going to break the shaft of the racket.