how many times have you read "Laws of Badminton"?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by kwun, Nov 24, 2003.

?

How many times have you read "Laws of Badminton" back to back?

1. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 3-10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 11-20

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. more than 20!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. what are you talking about?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. only read parts of it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    That's what I thought too but then this is another player shouting to his/her partner who is about to take the shot. :confused: I know that we do it all the time during our club play.

2. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    How about when you play a shot that is going to go out, whilst the other player who also knows the shot is going out, catches it on his racquet outside of the marked court, before it falls to the ground? in competitive play, is this a fault?

I thought you could only rule it out when it touched the ground...so in theory (though not really possible) that a gush of wind will blow the shuttle in, at the last moment.

In our level of play, sometimes when playing singles, a player will catch a shuttle before it lands (mainly from a long serve) because it is obviously going out..but I am not too happy when someone does that to me, as I hope that a tropical breeze will make it's way over :p

3. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Also, is it legal to recieve serve with your back turned but face looking back and racquet up? I know it would be disadvantageous...but the thought of doing that in competition makes me laugh :D

4. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Obviously if you go by the rules, that's considered a fault. You have to ask yourself whether the player catches the shuttle because it is so obviously out and it might end up in the other court (interfering with their play). I don't see why you can't let them know that they should let the play drop. Obviously in competition, that's a fault.

As for your other question about standing with your back to receive the serve. Nothing in the rules about it so it's legal.

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

A player shouting to a partner who is about to hit the shuttle should not necessarily be regarded as distracting the opponents.
    Calling ‘no shot’, ‘fault’, etc should be considered a distraction.

I don't think 3.8.2 makes it crystal clear and unambiguous but it has two seperate sentences, which I think mean:

1) shouting to your partner is ok, but only if your partner is about to hit the shuttle.
    2) shouting at any other time, or to anyone else, is to be considered as a distraction.

Now, even in the first sentence it says "should not necessarily be regarded".
    This may be to prevent players shouting something for every shot.

"No shot" and "fault" are usually called by a player after he has played a shot, so that would not fall under sentence 1.

Does anyone think that the use of "etc" in sentence 2 is useful?
    Does it imply my interpretation?

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It seems alright in a social game to intercept an opponent's shot that is "obviously" going out although it has not yet landed.

But as pointed out, "unthinkable" situations can arise whereby a seemingly "out" shot could well be "in" and that's why players can often be caught in tight situations of errors of judgement and lose a point.

So it is always better to go by the rules and let the shuttle land on the court surface first before picking it up, to be fair to one's oppoenent. It is considered a fault if one 'catches' a shuttle before it lands out as the racket forms part of the person and the shuttle is therefore liken to hitting the body of the receiver. :p

7. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    ive read it a few times a have a copy next to me ive just had the review it as ive taken (nad passed) my coaching award

to Lohs's point i can hit clears were i 'spin' the shuttle it flies and appears just out of the tramlines when it is nearer the back of the court it curls or glides into the back corner of the court id b pretty annoyed if u caught the shuttle.

8. Ken

Ken Regular Member

Student
    Fault or Not? - please help!!

I've read it a few times but find no answer to the following dispute!

It happened last Sunday when I was playing Doubles at my club - my doubles partner was trying to return a dropshot from our opponent, then one of the opponent rushed to the net and just held his racket up above the net waiting to block my partner's lift return (before my partner hit the shuttle) without performing a stroke (no hitting action at all) to intercept my partner's lift return then accidentally, my partner's lift return hit the opponent's racket head and bounced straight back to our court floor!! So I called it a FAULT and we had a dispute about the incident.

As I remembered the same incident once occurred at another club and the organizer/supervisor called it a fault. But this time (last Sunday), our opponents insisted that they did no fault and so we decided to back down and end up lost one critical point and felt robbed!

So here I am asking you experienced players (umpires), am I right/correct or wrong to call it a fault? Is there any other badminton laws/rules book I can refer to? Your knowledge of the above issue would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Ken

9. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    i think it is legal as long as his racquet was still in their part of the court. also that the shuttle hit his racquet/stringbed (pls clarify) and not a part of his own body.

thats my opinion. someone else should be more qualified tho to answer this.

cheers

10. Ken

Ken Regular Member

Student
    Just like hitting the shuttle into an extended net!

Yes, my partner hit the shuttle to the opponent's static (stationary) racquet/stringbed and bounced back to our side of court. There wasn't a hitting action from the opponent at all, not even with a slight tapping action from fingers/hand/wrist/forearm! :crying:

I have seen professional players (Kim D M) perfomed jump interception to cut down opponent's lift from the net at forecourt area, of course with hitting action.

Need more help please!

Ken

11. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

i actually try to do this all the time. do you know how hard it is to actually connect? the chances are like almost zero. i got it only three times and that was just purely by luck. plus 2 out of 3 times the shuttle still crossed over to my side of the court and we (my partner and i) were fault! cause it drop into my side of the court.

i suppose im a windmill most of the time :D

#51 jug8man, Aug 26, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  12. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    It is a fault. :eek: That is not a legal stroke.

Mainly in order for your situation as describe to occur, your opponent's racquet must be angled over into your side of the net, so that your partner's return of a drop shot (obviously returning from low to high) hits their racquet and bounces back.

The initial contact of your opponent on your side of the net to 'block' the shuttle violates law 13.3.

Law 13.4.4 is violated because your opponents racquet's prevented your partner from "making a legal stroke where the shuttle is followed over the net. (Directly from the Law)"

The shuttle must clearly go over the net (obviously it could be by a mm!) before it can be struck by a legal stroke.

Print out the Laws and show your opponents next time you see them.

Good Luck. ;)

13. quisitor

quisitor Regular Member

Re: Fault or not

Reading was never exactly my strong suit. Understanding-- what's that :confused:
    (The Disclaimer)

I see no fault at all with your opponent's action.
    Blocking is not illegal.

14. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    why don't they ever write it in english?? lol....

15. Ken

Ken Regular Member

Student
    Fault or Not Fault?

Hi Prophet,

Many thanks for your reply.

Is it also violate the law if the initial contact of my opponent is on their side of the net to 'block' the shuttle and the shuttle bounces back to our side of court? Thanks again.

Ken

16. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

well was your opponents racquet over the net in to your court area?

please clarify.

17. Ken

Ken Regular Member

Student
    Hi jug8man,

Thanks for your reply again. Since no hitting/swing action so the racquet head was on their side of the court. Thanks.

Ken

18. ReVoLuTiOn44

ReVoLuTiOn44 Regular Member

Student
    Pls tell me wat are those thing you telling...

19. aerotus70

aerotus70 Regular Member

some questions

I got a few questions after reading the "Laws of Badminton"
    1)If i smash or drop the shuttle and it hit the top of the net then went over to my opponent side, does it count as a fault or do i get a point?

2)In a singles match, i got the 1st serve and got a point (1-0) following that i will be serving on the left, if i lost the serve when i was serving from the left which side would my opponent be serving? left or right???
    The laws says zero or even points serve from right and odd from left, does it mean points from both sides add together or points of the serving side?

Can someone please help a badminton noob:confused:

20. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

You win the rally.

When serving:
    Shuttles hits net and lands on your side. Fault
    Shuttles hits net and sticks in net on your side. Fault
    Shuttles hits net and sticks on top of net. Fault
    Shuttles hits net and sticks in net on other side. Fault
    Shuttles hits net, goes over, doesn't land in service box. Fault
    Shuttles hits net, goes over, and lands in service box. You win the rally

Shots other than the service: