Football 2011/2012

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by wilfredlgf, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Just as some of us feared before the match, today's 8-2 massacre was a massive, massive dissapointment and many Gooners are rightfully upset and desperate today. There is no doubt that mistakes were made and change is needed.

But before you join the WENGER OUT bandwagon and take to the streets, don't forget some crucial facts:
    - Don't forget where your club was before Wenger
    - Don't forget where your club would be without Wenger
    - Don't forget The Invincibles
    - Don't forget some of the most entertaining football the world has ever seen being played by your club
    - Don't forget Henry, Bergkamp, Cesc, Vieira, RVP, Pires, Ljungberg, Campbell, Wilshere
    - Don't forget your brand new stadium that will allow Mourinho-like managers of the future to splash the cash and buy trophies
    - Don't forget the minimal resources Wenger had to work with
    - And please don't forget who the most succesful Arsenal manager of all time is

Your club was never as rich as City or Chelsea, or as big as United or Liverpool. The only reason it is competing with them is because of one man.

I am saying be critical. But remain respectful. I thought it was what made Arsenal fans special.

http://www.onlyarsenalnews.com/

The future of your club depends on it.

2. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

In Wenger still we trust

Humiliated? Yes, gave up, NO!!

Total of 8 new players this season to hope for: Park Chu Young, Andre Santos, Per Mertesacker, Mikel Arteta, Yossi Benayoun, Gervinho, Oxlade, Miyaichi. Not bad Arsene!!

Imagine the new Gunners line up:

Szczesny, Sagna, Vermaelen, Vermaelen, Santos, Arteta, Walcott, Wilshere, RVP, Arshavin, Gervinho

On the bench:
    Almunia, Koscielny, Squillacy, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Ramsey, Rosicky, PCY, Miyaichi, Chamakh, Oxlade.

3. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Per Mertesacker - Is he the answer to Arsenal defense??

[video=youtube;rwN3LwWo_mo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwN3LwWo_mo[/video]

4. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Andre Santos: and how about him?

[video=youtube;WFEM8TW7P24]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFEM8TW7P24[/video]

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Wenger said he only signs right quality player for ARSENAL.. so i'm sure they are the RIGHT quality player for the squad.. Glad to know that the 3 signings are park,santos and metersacker.. we should also not forget that he sign Benayoun on loan from CHELSEA and the last minute signing MIKEL ARTETA;):) 41779_120703981095_8872_n.jpg

6. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Panic buy or good spending?

I'd say Arsenal bought well by bringing in some seasoned campaigners and some jaded players looking for a new challenge - most especially Arteta and in a lesser extent Benayoun.

Wenger finally saw the light?

7. viver

viver Regular Member

What was Mourinho's budget with Porto when he won the UEFA and Champions League? :confused:

Now I know why Messi is the best player of all-time :) ;)
    http://www.goaledor.com/lionel-messi/platini-referees-greater-protection-messi.html

8. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

And what was his budget was when he's at Chelsea, Inter, and Real Madrid??

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Quite substantial at Porto I'm sure. Gateway to South America ... Nevertheless still impressive and to think all those (early) prizes could have gone to Benfica if not for the ludicracy of the presidential elections and everything it comes with ...

10. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Wenger's track record is by no means a pushover but the club is not doing themselves any favour by annually shipping out top players for the exchange of promising young talents. They are on a constant rebuilding mode that the current players end up unsettled, coupled with new recruits who take time to bed in. A fact that Gooner fans like to ignore at their convenience is that The Invincibles were made up of a core of seasoned campaigners:

• Lehmann
    • Lauren
    • Campbell
    • Toure
    • Cole
    • Ljungberg
    • Vieira
    • Gilberto
    • Pires
    • Bergkamp
    • Henry
    Don't forget the effects of Overmars and Petit whom were part of this team in different years.

Recent signings during the transfer window seemed to see Wenger taking heed of the problems of the glaring issue of experience and cool head during trying times but it's by no means a new problem. Every year you read and hear about the 'wunderkinds' of Arsenal... doing pretty much nothing substantial apart from neat passing.

I like Yoppy's rally cry to stand behind the manager but unless the rest of the league collapses and Wenger builds to win things, not to keep the chequebooks black - be ready for more of the same; good enough annually to mount some kind of charge but not enough in the tank to go past the finish line. Worst part is many fans and the owners are happy to accept things as they are when Arsenal should be looking higher.

11. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    hey guys, haven't been on this forum for years. Good to see names I still recognise like Wilfred, Demolidor and George.

On the Arsenal (my team!), I was at the Emirates when we beat Man U 1-0 in May this year when the suqad was Szczesny, Sagna, Koscielny, Djourou, Clichy, Song, Wilshere, Walcott, Ramsey, Nasri, Van Persie. Fabregas didn't play and most of the players above are still at Arsenal. I think the problem we have is that our subs bench is a bit weak and so when we have 8 people out (as against Man U) we don't have quality replacements. I think Arteta (providing he remains fit) and Mertesacker will make a big difference to the spine of the team. More importantly, they bring experience. I would have liked us to have bought Scott Parker too but, as the Rolling Stones said, You Can't Always Get What You Want.

#111 crosscourt, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  12. viver

viver Regular Member

Sorry that I was not clear - what is a Mourinho-like coach? A big spender or a budget conscious one?

With Porto, Mourinho stated their budget was at most around 25% of Manchester United's and... André Villas-Boas would not have gone to Chelsea, if Porto could match the salary :eek:. There is no comparison of the resources between English (say also to Spain, Italy, Germany and France, etc.) and Portuguese clubs, if not we would not lose the best (and good) players to other leagues.

On Benfica, can't say enough the stupidity of the executives. Even today, we are not winning because of the internal issues. Porto on the other hand, it is said that their president is the guy wielding all the power and is working for them!!

13. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I merely quote from an article which I provided the link, nothing more. But I do still believe Wenger is second to none. He maybe stubborn, but just like any "idealist" or "artist" you have to be stubborn. Any notion that Wenger should be out is insane.

14. viver

viver Regular Member

I admire Mourinho for the ability to manage a team. But there are other public actions of him that I might not admire. When it says Mourinho-like, I am not sure what the writer is mentioning - his ability to lead a team or other types of behavior.

I agree with you that Wenger is among the best manager/coach out there. I'd say he is one of the best in the development department and also an excellent tactician. Mourinho has not proven his ability in the development department, but surely a master tactician.

15. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Fabregas words:

"I have everything, I could not have done more, my performances were fine and I played as much as I could," he said.

"In terms of titles, I am bitter about that - missing out on winning the Premier League about three times, I would have liked to have taken that, but it could not happen.

"But London will always be my city, I did not make great friends, but friends from the changing room and Wenger, you can look no further I would be nothing without him, no world champion, nothing.

"I talked with him a lot, his words to me will last a lifetime. I could hardly talk when I left, but I did speak with him. But what he has given me is priceless."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/barcelona-ace-cesc-i-always-gave-my-best-arsenal-1862731

"I suffered during this match and especially because of the enormous rivalry between the clubs.
    "But I am convinced that the squad will improve for the next matches.

"I will always have important feelings with the Gunners. I am a fan through the good and bad moments."

Fabregas also paid tribute once again to Arsenal boss Wenger, saying: "I hope that I can transfer the lessons Wenger has taught me to my new work at Barca. I will always be grateful to the coach."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/artic...bregas-felt-hurt-8-2-drubbing-man-utd-1858531

Goodbye Cesc......wish you well

#115 Yoppy, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  16. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Nothing can be said the same to NA$$$RI

17. crosscourt

Legal
    With the possible exception of Henry, I don't think any Arsenal player has succeeded after leaving Arsenal, even the big names like Overmars, Petit, Viera, Cole etc. I think Cesc will do well but I'm not so sure about Nasri.

18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

"Gio" v. Bronckhorst is one that did quite alright (eventhough his best was at Rangers), Henry was just a happy passenger on the Barca train :D. Pires can be added to the list above as can Ljungberg but for the majority of the names above they all left after their prime. Overmars sold at his peak for the then world record transfer fee ;).
    Cole iirc was still highly rated in the first few Chelski years, often as the "best leftback in the world" but his private life caught up with him [​IMG].
    Depending on how long he will have to claim checks at ManC Nasri might still do just fine once either he or Mancini leaves ... after all it's not like he was solely made at Arsenal, he was already good at Marseille :cool:.

19. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

[video=youtube;-psa7Utw4JM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-psa7Utw4JM[/video]

20. crosscourt

Legal
    he got a yellow card for his trouble as well!!