Our shuttlers fail to come back for the winner

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by ants, Aug 17, 2004.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar
    TOP Malaysian singles player Wong Choong Hann and world number one Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah fought enthralling battles almost shoulder to shoulder at the Goudi Olympic Hall yesterday.

And both fell in almost identical manner, winning the first game, losing the second and breaking Malaysian hearts in the rubber.

Choong Hann was beaten 15-11, 7-15, 9-15 by Indonesian Taufik Hidayat in a second round match while Tan Fook-Wan Wah fell to a 15-11, 11-15, 9-15 quarter-final defeat by South Koreans Lee Dong-soo-Yoo-yong-sung.

Wong Choon Hann came on first against Taufik and in a rush, he was 8-2 up, then going on to 14-7. Taufik fought back, reducing the gap to 11-14 before surrendering the game.

The late fightback by Taufik seemed to rattle Choong Hann, who just could not get anything right in the second. He failed to lift the shuttle and kept getting caught at the net.

Taufik racked up the points and raced to a 10-3 lead. He allowed Choong Hann four more points before wrapping it up.

The rubber was painful for Malaysia.

Choong Hann led 5-0 but allowed Taufik to draw level. The Indonesian then took charge and held game point at 14-9. And Choong Hann hit the shuttle into the net to give Taufik victory and a quarter-final date with Denmark's Peter-Gade Christensen.

“I was caught out by the draught,†said Choong Hann.

“So was Taufik early in the game.

“But when he got used to it, the real game began. I tried to change my game after leading 5-0 in the rubber but it did not work.â€

Taufik agreed that the draught had made the difference.

“Whatever I did in the first game, Choong Hann was there to kill me off. The wind affected my play. But I managed to settle in better,†said the Indonesian, who now has his personal coach, Mulyo Handoyo, back with him after two years in Singapore.

Tan Fook-Wan Wah took to court just minutes after Choong Hann began play.

And they, too, raised hopes with a clinical 15-11 win in the first game over Dong-soo-Yong-sung.

Still, Wan Wah was a nervy player as the service judge kept faulting him. And he had to approach the judge to figure out what was wrong with his service.

The second game was totally different. The Koreans' smashes worked very well and the Malaysians could only defend as their opponents took a healthy 13-6 lead before wrapping things up at 15-11.

The rubber was another heart-stopping affair as the pairs battled for points until 6-6.

The Koreans got lucky at 6-9 when the shuttle fell over the tape afterwhich it all went their way.

Wah Wah denied that he had been affected by the service judge's call or that he was nervous.

“They were very good. Their jabs worked very well and they returned everything we could throw at them,†he said.

“We gave our best but it was not our best performance. Our game today just suited them well.â

2. leehsim

leehsim Regular Member

I saw Wan Wah play nervously before especially when he serves. During his service, his hand is not steady. He tends to move his racket backward and forward at least two times before he deliver his serve. He was then faulted by the Service Judge under Badminton Law 11.1.5 "The movement of the erver's racket must continue forwards after the start of the service (Law 11.2) until the service is delivered." His jerking movements were especially bad in rubber game.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

That is one thing about Msian players.. cannot handle pressure.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    it's sad to hear that olympic quality gym/courts have draft problem. I'm sure china know how to construct a real gym come beijing 2008

5. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I don't know... there seems to always be draft problems!
    Especially in Gangzhou where China Open was held last year...
    Does anyone have a solution to build big halls without draft?

6. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

All I can say at the moment is that all Malaysians are very disappointed with the outcome. To have all the players wiped out so early is a very big blow. However, it is difficult to fault our players for not trying, it is the manner in which they lost after fighting so hard that saddens me.

So here is the plan to revive for the future:
    1. More money and sponsorship (probably not even a problem).
    2. Bring back Hafiz to be with Chong Wei.
    3. Old players to semi-retire but continue to support the game.
    4. Most importantly, develop players from young and start sending them out for tournaments. Start with a clean slate and build up a strong stable with young players who are eager and do not fear anyone.

#6 wl2172, Aug 18, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  7. rejang

rejang Regular Member

I think #4 is the most important and it is here where Misbun will be failing miserably as head coach. He has put all his egges in one basket, trimming down a lot of potentials and focusing on a few players. You will notice that he has not sent many new players (esp singles) to many international tournaments in the last 2 years. Compare this to what was the case under Frost- there was a host of new youngster brimming on the surface- James Chua, Lee CW, Jason Wong etc etc. How many can one count of such potential toady??
    At the end of the day, M'sia will be hard press to recover from the retirement of the current senior players such as WCH & Roslin. Even if any new guys with great talents are discovered, he/she will take quite a while to make any impact at all. Misbun should look at what the Chinese are doing in exposing their potential to the world. Talent is not enough- exposure and experience are just as crucial. I supposed M'sia has a lot to catch up on both counts currently.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Ehh, I thought people would be blaming Misbun for this.

9. rejang

rejang Regular Member

I don't think Misbun or any of the players should be blamed but Misbun, as a high-profile coach (just as he was as a player) will no doubt get the full blast.
    My earlier comments are not directed to blaming him for this Olympics failure but rather his failure to develop sufficient depth in M'sia badminton. :)

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Funny and ironic, isn't it! Icuk is trying to put back greater discipline into the Indonesian camp on taking over the helm. But both Sony and Taufik are keeping Indonesian hopes alive at the Olympics. Both the gold and silver are within sight.

But certainly I agree that the people in charge must have a permanent plan to introduce young talents and groom them gradually for regional and international exposure. I suppose in Misbun's case, he was less fortunate in that the TC, UC and Olympics all came in the same year and he barely had time even to properly handle the national teams upon being called to do national service as national coach.

I suppose they will have to relook at their plans again and make sure that they have appropriate and committed people in charge to ensure a continuous and smooth grooming and transition of players and officials at all levels.

#10 Loh, Aug 18, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  11. ants

ants Regular Member

I think Msia don't really have long term plans of exposing the youngsters...
    # 1 thing in mind for them is to win tournaments. Besides that lack of sponsorships for young talents to play international tournaments.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    People were rather critical a few months back. Like Loh says, lack of time made it difficult to really put a programme into place. Misbun is only one guy and I guess he made the choice to concentrate his time on the most hopeful candidates when he was appointed. Most disappointing was Hafiz who really could have made an impact. Lee TS never found his way.

Lee CW only developed for the last 8 months. Given another 4 months of consistently getting to the s/f of tournaments and he could have made a bigger impact.

13. jaclyn

jaclyn Regular Member

student
    by the moment blam who also no use is all over
    nobody want this to happen.misbun is a good coach and the most important is the player have already try their best

14. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I kind of agree what you said, it seems Mal has only few players in the pool and for those already on internatinal stage, they give surprises during major tournaments.

You hit right on the point here, long term plan to expose youngsters, a question to Misbun Sidek, where are there ??? Maybe this is a question for BAM instead.

15. pptam

pptam Regular Member

Senior Executive
    the restructuring plan

In competition there must be a winner and loser. No one to be blame. You win either with your mental strength and physical abilities. Coaching can provide you the physical strength and skills however the mental strength it's all depend on the individual.

It is time for Malaysia to gain back the composure stop "investigate" the reasons of failures. There are many things need to be done for example, the contengency plan if the senior players had decided to leave the team after Olympics Games, re-examine the guidelines and requirement to enter the national team and stop overrated the results.

I am sure there are many good players at other states than Bukit Jalil Sport School maybe they are not given a chance or exposure about the programme. It time to search for the talents state by state. Get all these talents for "concentrated camp." Sound like an army training.

Gambatei Malaysia!!! :D

16. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    To be fair to Misbun, he can only teach players on skills. No coach can really teach about temperament, adjustment to court conditions, experience and maintaining consistency. Misbun himself had been surprised as to how his players suddenly could not handle court pressure and lose easily, even though their form and performance in training is good.

This is what I said before in another topic, consistency is alien to current crop of M'sian players. We need more players in the mould of Misbun's brothers Razif/Jalani, who almost always reach at least the semis of any competition they were entered for a decade.

One tournament wonders like Hafiz (and possibly LeeCW, if he doesn't win again) won't help Malaysia bring glory back.