Do u prefer 15 points rule or 21 points rule?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Smichz, Nov 17, 2007.

1. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Double post sorry.
    I get an error when posting a comment

2. 14players

14players Regular Member

Engineer
    those who dont know how to score/play the new scoring system should watch TV or games competition more often.
    they uses the new scoring system.

3. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I agree with almost everything you say here. I think the 21 system has made the professional game much less entertaining. But I guess the answer to that is skirts and bikinis. Maybe next the braintrust at the BWF will institute go go dancers at the 11 point break.

4. thunder.tw

So? It builds tension and makes things more exciting. There is less incentive to get creative on your serve if you know it's going to cost you a point if you try something alittle higher risk and it fails. All they've done is made the game more mechanical. But, this is just my opinion. I actually don't want them to change back.

5. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    The bottom line is 21-pt system suits old fart like us...15-pt system too punishing and tiring for oldies, 21-pt way to go:D:p

6. thunder.tw

The irony of this is out of all the clubs I go to play, it's the clubs with the older players that insist on using the 15-pt system.

7. viver

viver Regular Member

The younger people I play with does not want to play the 15 points; it's too demanding and do not have the legs for it, they say. :eek:

8. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Thunder, the truth is old fellas cannot let go of the past to embrace the present, difficult to accept change:D
    Viver, the truth is you are too good for those young fellas.:D

Okay, jokes aside, I like the 15-pt system, it gives me recover time to catch up if I am trailing, the 21-pt system is quite unforgiving and too fast. We have 3 courts here playing from 7.30 to 10 pm, and sometimes we could have as many as 30 people playing, so 15-pt system would take too much waiting time, 21-pt moves the game faster. If say after 9.15 pm and most of the crowd has gone home, we can play singles...for me, I could handle most 2 singles game a night and my legs gets wonky...these kids are good;)

9. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    Today at my place, my city here, for double many still play a classic 15points rule, but instead play 1 full set, we play half set but the point is increase from 15 to 25..
    except for tournament we play a 21 rally point..

10. permanis

permanis Regular Member

The OSS and NSS has both its critics and supporters. The NSS favours players with power and attacking game. It is faster and more intense. There is no room for error and risk takingis kept to the minimum. Shots are powerful and fast. It is good for competition where winning is everthing. Also with no service over and no second serve in doubles, the running time for the game is faster and good for TV.
    Even the nature of the game is different in certain ways...... the low serve in singles these days is an example.

The OSS is still common in many clubs with veteran players. Because games are organise at club level, it is meant to be a social activity where the rally goes longer (at least for those raised playing under the OSS system). The high serve in singles and second serve in doubles adds to a different level of fitness and strategy. To lessen the waiting time, many clubs play 21 points one set only using the OSS.

So whilst IBF impose the NSS as mandatory for all competitions, many clubs still use the OSS all over the world. It is a stange affair indeed. Imagine tennis having no second serve and the game will be different with the element of surprise gone. That's why tennis cannot get rid of the second serve.

So if you are like me who enjoys playing badminton in many places round Asia, the first thing you ask the players before the start of the game is whether they play under the NSS or OSS. You just have to cope with both.

This debate of the OSS and NSS refuses to go away.

Cheers

Permanis

#50 permanis, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  11. Rivai Zhukov

Rivai Zhukov Regular Member

Student
    For me NSS and OSS have their own advantage/disadvantage

NSS
    Advantage : Focus,concentration,speed,and mental is crucial.
    Disadvantage : Short gameplay

OSS
    Advantage : Physical and patience,Long gameplay.
    Disadvantage : Extremely exhausting and game pace is slow.

Currently I using both of them and loving it.
    NSS for gameplay focus and OSS for physical test.

12. travoltarulez

travoltarulez Regular Member

I used to be an intermediate level player who's come back to the game after more than a decade. Found a couple of like minded friends too who're in a similar position as me. A lot of things are new to us, like how good plastic shuttles have become:), how easily all the foreign brands are available in India, and (coming back to the topic) adapting to the 21 point system!

Must say this. The 21 point system makes a lot of sense in doubles matches. The games run faster, and the players are on their toes all the time. Now there's no making up for a weaker partner.

But for singles, I am a strong advocate of the old 15 point system. The game format in itself is more forgiving, yet it requires more stamina on part of both the players. There have been instances when I'm down - say, 8-13, yet have come back from behind to take the win. Don't think this would be possible in the new 21 point system.

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    2006 Malaysian Open: Lin Dan couldn't win with 8 match points

Some say that seeing is believing. :):):)

Click on this link ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbAmA6KWUwU ) to watch the video - at the Mens Singles Final of the 2006 Malaysian Open, Lin Dan (China) was leading 20-13 in the 3rd and final game, but Lee Chong Wei (Malaysia) came back to win the match.

#53 chris-ccc, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  14. permanis

permanis Regular Member

This debate of the pros and cons of the 21 and 15 points just simply refuse to die even though the 21 points has been implemented and sanctioned by BWF.

Yet we can see from this forum many baddies play with a mixture of 21 points and 15 points ( say singles using the 21 points and doubles with the second serve). So this popularity of the 15 points speaks for itself at the grass root level.

Why the 15 points remained popular up to these days is probably due to the style and nature of the game. It also has that service over and second serve that makes the game a little bit more interesting and longer too.

Cheers

Permanis

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    nowadays, at the club level, the only reason i see people want to play with 15pts is they want to hog the court longer!!

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I played with a group of players who were still using the old scoring system just 2 days ago.

A game lasted so long that it became boring (for me). In the same given amount of time, we could have played 2 games using the new scoring system.

17. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Hi Chris-CCC,
    Very sorry to hear you felt bored after playing the 15 points as those players you played are probably used to playing it and it's their norm to play with this system (may even derived some pleasure from this scoring system). I play both 15 and 21 points with players depending on their preference. There are even players who took up the game four or five years ago and don’t know the 15 points score. For those players new to the club, I always politely ask them whether they like to play the old or new system and we play according to their preference. Funny enough, I always grim like a Cheshire Cat whenever a newcomer says play whatever system you prefer meaning he/ she understand there are two systems and that one still has a choice.

Permanis

#57 permanis, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012