How do you deal with this, if your opponent serve this way...

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by e_rat, Jul 20, 2011.

1. e_rat

e_rat Regular Member

Art
    I am a intermediate player who plays pick up games in a local club 3-4 days a week. I usually play with other usual players there. There are a few people serve this way: 1) He gets ready to serve, but his hand / fingers keep adjusting the grip, before he settles the grip, he hits the bird. I wanted to point out it was illegal, but since my partner (just a pick up partner), told me to forget it. My partner did not say if it was legal or not, he just did not bother to confront.2) a player picks up the bird from the floor, slowly walks to the serving position, but before his walk stops, or just as soon as he stops, he hits the bird to serve. Couple of times, I did not receive, and told him I wasn't ready. Sometimes, I knew it would happen, so I even give him a quick net shot.3) when a player ready to serve, he look down at the bird, I was waiting, then he suddenly looked behind me like something just happen in the next court, then he serve.I post this here to ask two questions. 1) are they legal? I think 1 & 2 are not, for 3, I just blame myself. 2) like I stated at the beginning, I play with almost the same 20 ppl at that club, I can't, and don't want to confront them, or ignore them. What will you do?At this time, I say "no thank you!" to games that they are in. But I am afraid other 2 guys think I ignore them too.

2. alexh

alexh Regular Member

If you're playing with people like this, you should probably download the official laws of badminton and read them carefully before you get into any arguments. There are a few places where you can download the laws; google will help you find them.

There's a rule that says the server shouldn't serve if the receiver isn't ready. If he breaks this rule, and if you make no attempt to return the serve, then you're allowed to call a let and ask him to serve again. The important thing is that if he tries to trick you in one of these ways, then you mustn't play a shot. If you try to return the serve then you're not allowed to say you weren't ready.

Number 2 may be illegal if he's still walking as he serves. (The server should have both feet on the ground and stationary when he hits the shuttle.) I think 1 and 3 are legal, although they're bad manners and you should probably be calling a let.

In casual/social games it's generally not worth starting an argument about things like this. Just figure out which people you enjoy playing with and avoid the bad ones.

3. zatliteblogspot

zatliteblogspot Regular Member

Easy. Put your hand up to indicate you're not ready while they walk up. wait for them to take their stance. If it's the person from number 1, wait until you think he's happy with his grip. Put your hand down when you feel you're ready. From that moment on, expect a serve. At this point, it will be your opponent's choice to serve right away or pause and serve but at least you should be ready to receive it.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Good points above. All 3 players are serving legally but have poor gamesmanship. Have a copy of the laws of badminton in your bag ready to show them when needed. The advantage of playing with them weekly is that you'll remember these few nimrods and be well prepared for them. Just don't attempt to receive if you feel you're being disadvantaged and call a let.

5. e_rat

e_rat Regular Member

Art
    Thanks for the good suggestions. Right, I play badminton because I enjoy it. I am not there to argue. I will avoid the known bad ones. If similar situation happens, I will put my hand up until I ready. If you see a guy puts his hand up every time before his opponent serves, that is me... Ha ha....

6. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

just hold up yr hand to yr opponent to show that u r not ready
    if he still serves, he is at fault.

he shd make sure u r ready b4 serve

7. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

sometimes i just deliberately squat down n tie shoe laces to make such opponent feel frustrated.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

you can only do that so many times before they tell you to get velcro shoes :p

and anyways, you'll be stooping down to their level of gamesmanship if you do that... which could also could cause you to be faulted for delay if you do that many times

9. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    There was another example of a perfectly leagal-yet annoying serve.

I used to play with him and he will be in a ready to serve posture even before his opponent is there to receive it. The moment you take your position, he will serve. I used to lift my palm to ask him to wait-but the problem is, as I lower the hands, he will serve.

His serve is perfectly leagal and it is also right from my part to indicate that I am not ready when I am really not... It is a dead lock and the end result is, so many lets in each game. We never fight over these issues.

My advice-don't get these things in to your head. Play within the rules and there is nothing wrong to make him wait if he tries to be oversmart. Even after getting in to position-don't look at him till you settle to your stance & ready to receive. I do not think some body would be foolish enough to serve if you are not looking at him! If he serves, it is a let by default.

NP

10. visor

visor Regular Member

only if you don't attempt to receive.

if you even flinch a muscle, then you've indicated that you were ready.

11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    well, if he is annoying, find some other ways to annoy him back. copy cat him. or do things like hold your hand up farting, stretch the legs, hands, heads one at a time. ;) He will get what you mean. ;)

12. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

i dun need to give face to such idiots or morons... since he dun treat me with the gamemanship... why should 1?

nothing wrong with tie shoe laces at the time. there are many reasons i can think of to make him feel frustated. i wont always do the same stuff..

13. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    Yea-that is obvious... I am prepared not to respond when I don't look at him deliberately.

14. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    I think it is not a good idea. If somebody does not treat you with proper gamemanship, you do not want to degrade yourself to that level. We all get angry to this kind of behaviour-but it is good for us to keep our dignity and professionalism even if our opponent does not. Please think about what he is going to acheive by all this? A couple of points only-not even a game, and lot of bad reputation!

15. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

Interestingly, I had the opposite problem. An opponent would hold his hand up for approximately 10 seconds, then put it down. In that time, most people are in position and serve as soon as he puts his hand down. Because he is dictating the timing of the serve and the game, he gained an advantage. As with the previous posts, this behaviour is legal but unsporting.

Of course, the way to deal with this is not to hold your racket up/out until the hand comes down, then go through your service routine in your own time. The first time I did this, the hand went straight up again! However, I took the racket away again, the hand went down & he allowed me to serve in my own time. After that, he didn't hold his hand up against me.

I also agree with visor. Regardless of how disrespected you feel, there is no excuse for stooping to their level. Know the laws and keep cool when others choose to disgrace themselves.

16. alexh

alexh Regular Member

I'm not sure about that. I think this is illegal according to law 16.6.1, "A player shall not deliberately cause delay in, or suspension of, play". If it happened in a tournament, the umpire should warn the player the first time, and fault them the second time.

----

For what it's worth, I agree that you shouldn't descend to the opponent's level. If you see other people behaving badly, and you don't want to start an argument, at the very least you can set a good example.

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    how about putting up a clown face. Just put 2 red spots on the cheek and a wider mouth to distract him. Is this legal? lol. ;)

This is to put a little sense of humour onto the game. ;)

18. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    for number 3, if he does not stare too long, I think it's fine
    sometimes people want to see good spot to serve (which might be behind you)

for no 2, what I do is to lift my left hand until I ready
    if they serve when my left hand is up that means they serve before I'm ready

for no 1, maybe it's just a bad habit
    maybe you can do the same, lift your hand until he is ready

19. e_rat

e_rat Regular Member

Art
    I like it. How about a badminton custom party? With disco light? Wow, some business idea here!

20. e_rat

e_rat Regular Member

Art
    I understand some ppl may check the spot where they are going to serve to. But this one I described here is like his attention was supirsingly caught by something behind me, and his tension was slightly lower.Also, i remember there was a thread here asking where u look when your opponent serve. For me, I look 50% on his posture, 40% on bird and where the racket about to contact, 10% his eyes. So, where ppl look normally doesn't bother me, but this one is really acting it, and at lease 3 times in a 21 pt game.