ZELM Badminton

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sgbad, Dec 28, 2008.

1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

You don't have to have a good product to sponsor something. I can think of a number of brands which sponsor major events and their products are cr*p.

2. Udonming

Udonming Regular Member

e78, BTW I just bought a 100% woven racket (frame and shaft) no brand from them and it is only U$35 including 24lbs tensioned Gosen Pro 70 string. Very flex, light and I can smash like a bull, even my old lady likes that too.

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Iirc PP10000 was S$130 as well, just because the US dollar has gone down the crapper and the Sing dollar has appreciated doesn't mean these ZELM rackets have risen in price tremendously now does it? Ofcourse that came with a free bag but separately didn't cost all that much either ;).

4. Udonming

Udonming Regular Member

Maybe you are right about the currency exchange in the past few years. To be fair, we should get some Singaporian to tell us how much is Victor XT80, BS12 in S$.

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    If you think there is so much money being made by these companies, then maybe you should start you own company up and make you 300%?

6. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Racket choice is very personal. Whether ZELM is worth the asking price depends on, of course, the individual. I never felt any Yonex is worth the asking price (not even the Cab30, even though it's probably the best price/performance).

I've tried all the ZELMs since the PP9990. All of them played differently yet they always had something that attracted me to keep them.

Each time I own a ZELM the same time as my Yonex acquisition, the ZELM invariably edge them out. I had the PP9990 the same time I had the Arc10. I preferred the PP9990 by a mile. A lot later, I had the ArcZ and I had the Ultimate Series. The Ultimate Series stayed while the ArcZ got sold. The US700 is the latest entrant and is giving the MX80 a run for the money. I'm still having a hard time deciding between the MX80 or the US700. That's with the US700 gripped too thinly for my liking -- I'm anal about grip size.

I still love my TC700 best overall but the dust hasn't quite settled for 2nd place racket. It's a tight tussle between the US700 and the MX80. Sorry, no Yonex or Lining in consideration.

At least for me, that's how well the ZELM's play. If you prefer a brand that sponsors a super series or something, ZELM is not big enough for that. Not even local competition for now. But for the money, it's a lot of racket that ZELM is offering.

7. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

I think the point is zelm is not going to bring in many new fans becos they are not priced attractive enough for them to venture into unknown brands. It's just not worth the risk to some people I asked.

For about the same money, one could buy more highly touted Yonex vt5, vt 7, arcsaber 008, victor bs10, mx80 etc. Nevermind which is better but the fact is that most consumers who can only afford 1 of them will prefer to take the safer choice. It's 1 zelm model against many other more attractive choices.

If zelm are s$100 rackets, then it is no brainer for the budget conscious buyer. At s$150, it's not going to be as attractive as the big brands.

#1567 txv611, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  8. isben

isben Regular Member

Engineer
    Bro if u ever wanna off load ur MX80 you know who to look for, we could do a swap with my Zelm 700.
    Is a good racket for the price but reminds me of Trixon which the shaft N head weight ratio don't click.

9. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

Trixon was like that becos it's quite flexi. U mean zelm 700 also the same?

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Judging by the length of this thread I would say Zelm has quite a few fans. Not all companies want to take over the world & become world leader. Some may just want to create quality rackets.

The budget concious buyer IMO would choose a racket like zelm, because they give quality rackets at cheaper prices than YY/Lining/Victor. The budget concious buyer would take time to trial the rackets first & choose theone he likes based on a comprimise of cost/quality.

I personally didn't like the Trixon 8, too flexy for me. The others have been pretty good rackets though for my taste.

11. Udonming

Udonming Regular Member

I understand where you are from, everything you have to pay 20% VAT. So don't get too personal this is an open forum everyone can share their opinion in the open air.
    I still LOVE to buy string from UK because excluding the VAT + freight it is the cheapest for some excellent strings like NBG98 & Zymax 67.
    Isn't that nice to know the world is getting smaller everyday and you get to know and compare things within a few clicks, and people can't hide things from you.
    BTW, in case you don't know the actual postage was S$14.50 to ship one racket and if I can remember correctly it was billed S$37.0. James you always have a choice. Have a wonderful badminton day.

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Nothing personal, its just that people appear to have some disquiet about the prices, when they are still cheaper than other brands high end rackets.

I can't comment on P&P rates as they vary from seller to seller.

My choice is to try & buy then decide if value for money:)

13. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Udonming you fit the perfect job of a TROLL.

If you judge a racket just because of price you seriously need to reconsider how you choose your racquets. Even if Zelm price their racquets near other "high" end brands, each racquet plays differently so it doesn't matter. How about you compare SOTX W16 to Zelm US700? $200USD vs $130SGD? Both are full woven. Both are small brands compared to Yonex, Victor etc.

If you gave me a Yonex racquet and a W16 i would take the W16 without question. I have tried many Yonex racquets in my life and none were for me. When i tried W16 i loved it but couldn't afford so i'm buying the US700 instead. The CHEAPEST and closest design to the W16.

So if you don't like a racquet that's "too expensive" just because of brand name then don't buy it. I'll buy what i want and you buy what you want so quit flaming this thread and go play more badminton.

14. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

not knowing where you may be coming from, may i ask you the actual postage of S$14.50 to ship one racket, where is the destination? which type of shipping mode?

i have shipped a single racket to Germany and Canada on seperate occasions, both times the costs range from between S$35-$40 using Registered air parcel post. your mentioned cost of S$14.50 probably applies to neighbouring countries like East/West Malaysia or Brunei only.

15. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Chill guys, chill! Can we not quarel over this? Everyone has a choice to buy or not to buy. I am sure, everybody agrees that ZELM makes quality racket, Just that some dont agree with the pricing. I will feedback this issue. Thank you guys for your concern.

By the way, i have 2 rolls of victor towel grips to give away. f.o.c please pm me if interested:D
    1x hotpink (good for around 10rackets)
    1x lightpink (good for around 12rackets)

Reason being, i grew out of pink.:p

Thanks alot guys.

16. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    PM sent.

Will put up a review once i receive the US700 :D

17. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Hot pink is going to Phandrew!:D

18. isben

isben Regular Member

Engineer
    Is a personal feeling. Can generate good power on a consistent basis but it reminds me too much of the Trixon 8. This could be due to the US700 that I have being more head heavy as Sgbad choose the most head heavy one out of the remaining stock for me.

19. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

Trixon is very powerful though. Just a light tap and the cock flew out of play!

20. eptan

eptan Regular Member

I agree with Sgbad... stay cool everyone even though the weather is getting hot these days.
    BTW, Sgbad, is the Lightpink towel grip still avail? Please reserve for me.
    Doesn't matter what color lah, as long can use... I don't mind lah.
    cheers dude! pls sms me.. eptan here.