Li-Ning Singapore Open 2011

Discussion in 'Thailand / Singapore / Indonesia Open 2011' started by Loh, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    MD Semi-Finals INA versus CHN

Alvent Yulianto Chandra/Hendra Aprida Gunawan (INA) bt
    Chai Biao/Guo Zhendong (CHN) 21-19, 24-26, 21-14 (1 hr:12 min)

INA should have taken the match much earlier had they not squandered the second game. In the end they still won with a convincing third game but they lost meekly to Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng in the final, 21-17 and 21-13 in 36 min.

Attached Files:

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    A Pictorial Tribute to Peter Gade

At 34, PG will probably retire after next year's London Olympics. So this is perhaps the last time he will play in the Singapore Open after so many appearances here and winning the MS title in 2006 by beating compatriot Kenneth Jonassen 21-10, 21-14.

Lin Dan won in this memorable SF match, but not after PG extended him to three games by shocking LD in the first 22-20 before losing the subsequent games 17-21 and 15-21 respectively in 1 hr 15 min.

Maybe because of this tough game and another previous 3-gamer with Simon Santoso in the QF, that Lin Dan gave the excuse of sickness to gift his countryman Chen Jin with a walkover in the final. LD probably wants to recover fully before his expected duel with Lee Chong Wei at this week's Indonesia Open. But because of his unsporting behaviour, he has earned the ire of Singapore badminton fans. :(

So these pictures are a tribute to a great sportsman and a gentleman in court, Peter Gade Hoeg of Denmark, who had given us so much thrill and excitement all these years. :)

Attached Files:

3. bigfatfish

bigfatfish Regular Member

already the m'sian fans are not coming for the finals.

to sell more tickets, organiser was damned dishonest
    with lin dan's cancelled match. they had the big fat cheek
    to print the MS as a scheduled match.

don't forget that the price of tickets had increased this year.

the lack of openness and transparency operation is exactly what the
    government of this country do.
    damn!

4. sputneek

sputneek Regular Member

Haha! On the contrary, no. I'm still waiting for my back to recover and doing very minimal movement or light exercise such as swimming at a really slow pace.

I just bought the camera so I'm still on learning phase. So, still very "on" with camera and stuff. Heheh :)

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    RI shuttlers win Singapore Open

Jakarta Post

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 08:39 AMFollow us on

Niken Prathivi, The Jakarta Post,
    Jakarta | Mon, 06/20/2011 10:03 AM

Less than a year after teaming up, Indonesians Liliyana Natsir and Tontowi Ahmad showed a consistent performance by grabbing their third consecutive victory in mixed doubles at the US$200,000 Singapore Open badminton tournament on Sunday.

The pair previously won the India Open badminton super series and the Malaysia Open Grand Prix Gold in May.

The world No. 5 and Singapore Open fourth seed pair outclassed unseeded Hung Ling Chen and Wen Hsing Cheng of Taiwan 21-14, 27-25.

“I’m really glad of the victory. Hopefully, we can maintain our performance in the upcoming Indonesia Open because we will face more great players,” Liliyana said after the match as quoted by the Indonesian Badminton Association’s (PBSI) official website.

The pair is set to play in the $600,000 Indonesia Open in Jakarta starting on Tuesday.

On Sunday, Liliyana-Tontowi had no significant obstacles in the first set, staking out an 18-13 lead.

The situation changed in the second set when Chen and Cheng changed tacks, bombarding the Indonesians with aggressive play.

The Taiwanese took the lead at 18-15. Liliyana-Tontowi, however, managed to close the gap and win the match.

“I did not think about catching up. All we did was collect one point after another,” according to Liliyana.

She said she hoped the hat trick would motivate her and Tontowi to more success at the Indonesia Open and the 2012 Olympics in London.

Liliyana, who grabbed a silver medal in Beijing during the 2008 Olympics with Nova Widianto, was upbeat about the prospects for her and her new partner.

The other Indonesian survivors, men’s doubles Alvent Yulianto Chandra and Hendra Aprida Gunawan, surrendered to fourth seeded Yun Cai and Haifeng Fu of China 21-17, 21-13.

Meanwhile, unseeded Jin Chen of China won a walkover against top seeded countryman Lin Dan due to illness. “I felt very unwell after I went to bed. This morning I still didn’t feel very well so I went to the tournament office and consulted the team doctor,” Lin told a news conference as quoted by Reuters.

Tournament referee Ernest Robinson confirmed that Lin had pulled out due to gastroenteritis and that Chen Jin had been awarded the title on a walkover.

On the women’s side, third seed Xin Wang of China beat Tine Baun of Denmark 21-19, 21-17 in the women’s singles, while fifth seeds Qing Tian and Yunlei Zhao of China outclassed sixth seeds Ha Jung-eun and Kim Min-jung 21-13, 21-16.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Oh no, You are doing it again?

Don't know if Ernest Robinson knew much about Lin Dan from other past tournaments in which LD has given 'walkovers'. :confused::confused::confused:

If he has known, he must have said to Lin Dan; "Oh no, You are doing it again?". :D:D:D

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    No sign Lin Dan faked illness: officials

The Straits Times

Jun 21, 2011

[​IMG]

Lin Dan facing the media after pulling out of the men's singles finals of Li-Ning Singapore Open 2011 due to illness. -- ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM

SINGAPORE - BADMINTON officials said world number two Lin Dan was unlikely to face further action after he controversially pulled out of the Singapore Open final citing illness, angering suspicious fans.

The Badminton World Federation (BWF) said there was no evidence 'Super Dan' faked the bout of gastric flu which prompted his late withdrawal from the men's singles decider against Chinese team-mate Chen Jin.

Fans booed loudly and some stormed out of the Singapore Indoor Stadium after Lin appeared on court to announce his pull-out, which follows a string of similar incidents involving all-Chinese matches.

However, a tournament doctor confirmed Lin's illness and nothing more could be done until the federation receives the referee's official report in about two weeks, said BWF spokesman S Selvam.

'I won't like to comment on the past trend but for this, the tournament doctor has confirmed that he is ill and I think we can't do anything more than accept that yes, he is ill and he can't play,' he said.

The illness was Lin's second during the Singapore Open after he also missed last week's pre-tournament press conference with a stomach upset. -- AFP

8. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

BWF should penalized such WO by disqualifying LD entirely(no ranking points whatsoever or only giving him up to sf) and letting the losing semi-finalist, in this case Peter Gade, to play in the final. Just like a beauty pageant.

#308 BadFever, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Some food for thought:

* What happens if the other semifinalist is also from the same country as the other finalist?
    * How do you share the prize money?
    * What about the awarding of ranking points to the one giving the walkover?
    * Should the semifinalist giving the walkover be penalized in other ways too?
    * To be fair to other players and paying spectators, should there not be a better assessment of the "sickness, injury or other medical/physical complaints" by the medical doctor. Should there not be a second opinion from the panel of doctors. Should not BWF devise a checklist for different types of medical complaints to ensure their authenticity?

#309 Loh, Jun 20, 2011
  10. Chayady

Chayady Regular Member

Wonderful idea. Hope there is a brilliant person in BWF that hear this and put it on their law.

11. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Sorry, Loh. I re-edited my initial posting before your reply. :p

12. miss.boon

miss.boon Regular Member

this is a very silly idea but obviously ppl here have never played in tournaments (or at least a tournament of some standard) before.

beauty pageant is not like sports competition.
    players need to do warm up and tactical preparations before approaching a match.
    basically u r asking all the losers in all rounds to be on stand-by.
    NOT practical.

beauty queens just need to apply make up and choose which dress to wear.

13. miss.boon

miss.boon Regular Member

this is Good.
    BWF has officially confirmed that Super Dan was indeed sick and unfit to play in the finals.
    no more arguments.
    same like what happened in boleh-land open.

Consider this, if u r having bad stomach ache or injured ur leg, but ur boss force you to work, what do u do?
    maybe,just maybe if u work in office, die die also u can go but if u r working in construction site where much physical is required,
    do u still go and risk further injuries or illness?

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Rising XD stars Tantowi Ahmad and Lilyana Natsir

Natsir has separated from Nova to partner the much younger Tantowi and in less than a year this new XD team has produced promising results, winning three titles together.

Unwittingly, they have become INA's rising stars and will be their best golden hope for London Olympics next year.

In this S'pore Open, they were seeded 4th, but they went on to demolish all who faced them in straight games, even CHN no.1 seed Zhang Nan/Zhao Yunlei.

This was their journey together:

Defeated:

R1 Qiu Zihan/Yixin Bao CHN 21-13, 21-12
    R2 Xu Chen/Ma Jin CHN 21-14, 21-10
    QF Lee Yong Dae/Ha Jung Eun KOR 21-14, 21-16
    SF Zhang Nan/Zhao Yunlei (1) CHN 23-21, 21-16
    F Chen Hung Ling/Cheng Wen Hsing TPE 21-14, 27-25

Will they be able to do likewise at home in the Indonesia Open to be held tomorrow? :D

Attached Files:

15. miksss

miksss Regular Member

actually five titles uncle Loh.. :D

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I agree that if LD was really sick, he should not play.

Although the tournament doctor confirms this, people are still doubtful because of what has happened in the past with Chinese players and in this case LD also did not attend the press conference citing stomach ache, which was not confirmed by a doctor I think.

This is crucial because his final opponent was his teammate and giving an improper walkover will only benefit him for London Olympics ranking points purposes. "Team orders" from CHN's big boss has happened before.

So I suggest that BWF must have another neutral doctor to double confirm for a second opinion. A doctor can also make mistakes like any other human being. There have been reports of patients (like cancer patients) being misdiagnosed or the real problem not detected initially and the patient died.

#316 Loh, Jun 20, 2011
  17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Wow, very impressive! :D

So INA still has hopes in XD, MS (Simon) and MD for London. :)

Hope you like their pics.

18. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Hehe.. sure i like those pictures.. [​IMG]

19. Chayady

Chayady Regular Member

I can't wait to see Simon beat Lin Dan in quarterfinal.
    He almost beat Lin Dan twice this year, hope he will do it in his country :)

20. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

I don't think setting rules base on specific opponent doesn't work. But I believe deducting a portion of the prize money and ranking points make a lot of sense. There must be a price to pay for WO.

Another rule I like to see change is the Olympics Qualifying rule. There should be a maximum of 2 players from each country. Period.