Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    You'll do well with any racquet. If you're really keen, try to borrow the racquet you have in mind first. The VT80 has all the newest tech, and if money is no issue, I'd get it and adapt to it if I were you. Have fun.

2. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I actually played a lot of my competitive badminton in the mid to late 1990's, and I was just a small kid then - back then, I didn't have much of an idea about rackets (internet wasn't like it is now hehe) and just played with whatever I got given (and I pretty much got given the "cheap" rackets). Trust me, those rackets were much heavier than the 3U VT80, and yet I don't recall getting any arm/wrist fatigue. I think even when the "Carbon/Graphite" technology came out, I still used a steel racket for many years. I remember in my high school team, I was ranked "number 2" (2nd strongest player). Every player by then used a Carbon/Graphite racket, while unknowingly, I was still using a Steel racket - the "number 3" player in my team pointed this out to me and was wondering how I was still able to beat him hehe!

Anyway, I think we've definitely been "spoilt" in the last 10 years or so. I was still using 1U or 2U equivalents up until around 2006-07 - that's when I jumped straight to using Yonex high-end 3U rackets.

But yes, as has been mentioned several times before, the 4U racket is likely to be more compatible for beginners or intermediate level players who didn't play in the era of steel/wooden rackets hehe.

3. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    SSJ100 If you say you compete when you're a small kid in the mid-late 90's then I'm sorry but you didn't grew up in the steel/wooden rackets. In the mid-late 90's, there's full carbon graphite rackets already. Yonex Carbonex, and Isometric series blossomed in the 90's. Carlton, Hi-qua, Pro-Kennex and other manufactures have full carbon rackets in the 90's.

I don't think we're spoiled with the variety of rackets. Times changed and the racket manufacture have to keep up with the demand as the game play changes.

The VT80 is an excellent racket. Regardless of 3U/4U spec, it's still a VT80. Playing with a 4U doesn't mean that you're weaker or your level is not advance those who uses a 3U. It's a matter of personal preference, and how comfortable you feel with the racket.

4. CarlBkk

CarlBkk Regular Member

fashion wholesale
    View attachment 100200

Voltric 80 just arrived (£130) with BG60 Ultimax string and tested it out at the club earlier (oh, and the new shoes!). Previously been playing with an APACS 900 and before that a Z Slash.

My expectations were high, mainly as a result of this forum's comments but also the range-topping price. Mine was direct from source (import) hence the much more acceptable price. Well, my expectations were exceeded. The wider frame added a "softer" sound and feel when hitting the shuttle, reminding me of my old Wilson Profile tennis racquet. It meant that it has serious power which needs to be handled well BUT was also amazingly delicate at net shots...unlike the APACS. Easy clears, great smashes, good net shots...but still needs getting used to. More control and fewer mistakes than the Z Slash and smashing marginally better.

Doubles was easily - I notably played better than usual with it (against partnerships I know well). Half-court singles not so good...mainly because I was used to the behaviour of the APACS and I need more time to understand the VT80. Looking forward to seeing how it goes a few weeks from now. Just need to harness that power and become familiar with the drop shots it can do.

APACS ok as back-up but the VT80 much better as an attacking racket. Z-Slash is average in comparison.

Believe the hype guys....this is the racket to have.

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

The cheap rackets were probably still steel ;). And yes we are spoiled nowadays: spoiled with info and online shopping :) (well internationally from Asia that is :D)

#1485 demolidor, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  6. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I think you missed my point. As demolidor has already said, the "cheap" rackets were probably still steel. Regardless, I definitely used a steel racket for most of the 1990's, even if "full carbon rackets" were blossoming - I guess I was deprived of new rackets! Also, I'm sure those "full carbon rackets" are heavier than the 3U rackets of today - in fact, I know this is true, as I still have some of them.

You probably took my generalisation a bit too far. I never said that playing with a 4U means you must be "weaker" or that your level is not "advanced". I simply said that a 4U VT80 is likely to be more compatible for beginner-intermediate level players, particularly those who aren't used to heavier rackets.

7. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    Don't forget to rip off the original grip and replace it with supergrap on the wood:)

8. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player

I know what you're trying to say and I was just making a general statement as well, was not pointing at any comment in particular.

Anyway, back to VT80. Has broke theirs yet? Knock on wood, but mine has been holding up fine. My VT70 and 80 3U strung at 30+lbs has been holding up dispite multiple racket collision and banging against the floor, it's holding up really well. I guess Yonex stepped up on their quality.

9. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    Am on my second one. Clashed when smashing from the back position and pardner moved backward to get the birdie at the same time. :( The baby was only 2 weeks old. Pardner's racquet was fine.

#1489 chilli, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Sorry I was under impression that you are a beginner since you mentioned the word "amateur" LOL

11. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Yes, i am amateur. :)

12. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    we are all amateurs
    because we don't get paid for playing badminton
    instead we must pay to play
    the pros they get paid and earn a living from playing badminton

Amateurs
    no matter what level you are ...
    novice or beginner
    intermediate
    expert or advance

13. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Yes now I know what you mean, but I would not use that word in the first place when describing about my level of play. As we all know here that we are all amateurs, which you can always describe your level more precisely

14. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    on the contrary the pros have no levels
    they are all advance ++
    the difference between them is BWF ranking
    how many titles they win and how much money they make from prizes or endorsement / sponsorship ...

we are amateurs also because our name is not on the BWF ranking list ...

15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

BWF ranking doesn't make you a pro or even advance ++ ;)

16. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

what if I find my name on the BWF list? Does that make me a pro?

17. sxg2009

sxg2009 Regular Member

In India everybody claims they were either 1st, 2nd or at the most 3rd rank holder or some state player/champion etc. I wonder how many of such player ultimately play really good and get some real ranking in the world badminton championship. Sometime your judgment sounds too much text book oriented.

18. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I think you need to carefully re-read my post again. Make sure to keep in mind the word "context".

EDIT: anyway, back on topic, did two smash drills last night with the 3U VT80, first one lasting 10 minutes, second one lasting about 20 minutes, non-stop smashing at my hardest. Very exhausting, but I must be used to it by now (to the drills I mean hehe) - only a slight ache in the shoulder muscle today. Wrist feels fine.

#1498 ssj100, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  19. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    Wow! What a racket! This VT80 is one heck of a racquet to reckon with ... on and off court!!

20. 3radius

3radius Regular Member

i think so too, did u play doubles or singles?