Ashaway rackets and their Yonex Counterparts

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Renmazuo27, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

I'd like to know, which of the various Ashaway models have a Yonex counterpart/equivalent.

I know that the Ashaway Archblade/Arch Striker series are related to the Yonex Arc Saber series but I was wondering if there were any others, specifically the Nano Legend 9675 from Ashaway. This is a racket I love to death but I'm just curious, what comes close to it from Yonex?

Also could anyone shed some light on the specs of the Nano Legend 9675, all I know is that it is a 3U racket with 96 hole grommet system but I'd also like to know what flex it is.

As I'm a beginner I don't have the expertise to define what is stiff and what is flex.

Any feedback would be appreciated

2. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

The nano legend 9675 is a pretty old racket indeed, not sure how many of the BCers here have tried it before.

According to racketmaster, the spec of this racket are as follow:

• Head: Isometric
    • Flex:[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium[/FONT]
    • Weight: 75g
    • Composition: [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nano Carbon / Graphite[/FONT]
    • String: MicroLegend XL
    • Case: full
    It's a very light racket, right at the lower end of the 5U range. It's mid-flex, that means it's easy to bend which is quite suitable for beginner who does not have enough strengh(wrist and arm). For more information about the flex rating, refer to the following thread.
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/40187-Shaft-stiffness-flexibility-explained

3. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

One more thing to add, a 96 hole grommet racket is pretty tight. Analogously, you can imagine, with the same area which normally has 72 people, you now have 96. It will be very crowded, a slightly lower tension is suggested.

4. Renmazuo27

Thanks for that Big! I have been using them for 2 years now and I absolutely love the feel of them. Mine are generally strung at 24/25 pounds which is perfect for me.

What's the closest thing Yonex has in their range that comes close to this? (obviously the 96 hole grommet system will be negated)

5. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I don't really see anything close to this as there is no yonex weight 75gr (CMIIW)
    96 hole grommet also unique on few brands only (And definitely not yonex racket)

if you really want to find the closest, we can only retain 2 informations, the shaft flex and balance point (however, at the end it would play pretty differently with your ashaway racket)
    anyone knows what is the balance point of nano legend 9675?

6. Renmazuo27

how bout a 75g, medium flex, yonex racket then Avenger? Anything from yonex fall within those lines?

7. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    based on 2011 Yonex catalog, there is NO yonex with weight 75 (all above 80, and mostly 85-89gr)

and you need to know the balance point of the racket (is it head heavy, head light, or even balance) to know which racket is the closest

again, however it would play pretty differently as 75gr would be light and fast (with less stability and power) and yonex racket mostly 85+ gr which is more stable but would be slower due to 10gr differences

so there is no yonex racket that can be compared to this racket
    it means this racket is ashaway own line racket (not a copy cat racket like arch striker)

8. Koyukii

Koyukii Regular Member

Student
    But 75gr must be the racket unstrung and without grip. I owned some Ashaway rackets, currently using the Electro VB which is supposed to be 82gr. on the scale it is exactly 82gr unstrung and without grip. Add string and towel grip, it is now ~95gr. It was the same for the Viper XT650.

9. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    yeah, when we talked about weight it would be dry weight (without string and with factory grip)
    it is same with yonex, 85 is dry weight

10. Koyukii

Koyukii Regular Member

Student
    82gr was without grip at all for me.

11. Renmazuo27

Alright, I'll ask the guy I get my rackets from if he can get the specs (mainly the balance point) of the Nano Legend. Seems to me that Ashaway rackets are a bit of a mysterious entity

12. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    that means it is not dry weight
    you need to add factory grip to gain the dry weight (maybe around 85gr?)

13. Koyukii

Koyukii Regular Member

Student
    Yeah it should be around 85g with grip on. But the weight announced on the ashaway website is without grip. That's what I meant.

14. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

I don't think Yonex has similar rackets, not even those classic ones.
    75g is definitely very light, which is not quite popular. If you really want something close, the only racket I can think of is the Apacs Tantrum Light Infinity. It's 76-79g, that's pretty close. It's also mid-flex, which also suit your requirements. Finally, it's the balance point. The Tantrum light infinity has a bp of 285-295. I don't know the bp of your racket, would you mind measure it yourself to find if the TLI has a similiar one?

15. Renmazuo27

how do you measure the balance point big?

16. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

17. Renmazuo27

Thanks demolidor...just need that machine now :p

18. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

Actually, you can simply use our finger to get a rough estimation of the balance point. What we want to know is when your racket is head-light, even-balance or head-heavy. That 1-2mm differential is negligible, as using different grip can alter the balance point for quite a lot.

19. Renmazuo27

I did think about using my finger/bar as a balance beam, though i didn't think it'd be accurate enough. I'll have to get another Nano Legend to measure as the ones I have in service are overgripped.

20. Renmazuo27

Well I got an email from the guy I get my rackets from. The specs of the Ashaway Nano Legend are as follows, according to the email:

Ashaway Nano Legend 9675
    Weight: 3U
    Balance Point: 290mm (Normal)
    Flex: Stiff

Hopefully with that amount of info, is there anything in the Yonex range that comes close?