why do Boe / Mogensen lack sportsmanship?

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2011' started by chlsy8, May 27, 2011.

1. chlsy8

chlsy8 Regular Member

When the mix double players Fischer/Pedersen played against the Taipei players Cheng/Chen in quarter final, they called shuttle (from Cheng/Chen) out twice and the replay clearly showed it was in. One time Pedersen was right standing at the line and call it out. Thumbs up to the line judges who didn't get influenced/confused by their poses.

This reminded me when Boe/Morgensen played agains Chai/Guo in the tournament (all england 2011), Guo's return was clearly on the line, while Boe/Morgensen called it in, and the line judged also called it in. I remember clearly Morgenen showed to Guo with his thumb/index finger to show how far out it was.

IWF really should punish this kind of unethical behavior.

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Players from other countries also try to influence line judges with shouts and celebrations. WSX comes to mind. She has been warned during play by umpires to curb this type of behaviour.

3. chlsy8

chlsy8 Regular Member

I watched many games from WSX, say, more than 20 games, I never saw such things happened.

What I am really annoyed is that the danish pair was really leading and still so greedy.

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

It is silly to cite two examples of bad conduct, and then label all players from one country as unethical. Every country has people who are either unethical, or simply have "wishful eyes" (because they hope it's out, it looks out to them :rolleyes:).

So we should feel free to draw attention to anyone's bad behaviour, but we should never smear a whole nation. Otherwise this thread could get very ugly with name-calling.:(

5. chlsy8

chlsy8 Regular Member

I called only DOUBLE players. Peter Gade is always very ethical and I love him. But Fischer, Pedersen, Boe and Morgensen they are the most famous four double players of Denmark.

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

This behaviour has happened with many players of different countries. Some apply the pressure more subtly than others. Some are more in-your-face. In any case, if one decides to cite all the cases of "linesman pressuring", we could fill many pages of this thread. Like fidget said, it would lead to unhealthy nation bashing.

7. chlsy8

chlsy8 Regular Member

just ate up my post

8. chlsy8

chlsy8 Regular Member

absolutely meant no country bashing.

As I said I like Gade a lot, I know Baun has been very ethical and I like her too.

I guess what I mean is BADMINTON is more and more becoming a game of no gentlemen. People are bickering with one point no matter what the truth is. I cherish time of Zhao jianhua and Liew Swie King.

I do notice most players from Thailand, Taiwan and Japan are very polite and have a great sportsmanship. I cheer for them all the time in the game.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Boe and Mogensen are the worst for poor sportsmanship. If you watch them play against other top MD players, when they win a hard fought point, they will glare, shout and gloat at the opponent. You'll never see this type of conduct from all the other MD players.

10. chlsy8

chlsy8 Regular Member

Today during the game between Baun and Tai Tzu Ying, Baun mis-judged the shuttle from Tzu Ying, thought was out. But it was right inside the line. The Danish coach, who is sitting 5 feet to the right of line judge, immediately made a pose of "out". The line judge, who has been really great in this game, didn't get influenced at all.

11. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

chlsy8,

I like what you said about cheering for polite, fair players. They deserve recognition and emulation.

12. Winn108

Winn108 Regular Member

I think it's just the nature of a competitive game. I have seen players from all countries do it, indicating an out followed by a lookup at the line judge to see what the actual call is. It's true in many sports because it's hard to punish that kind of behavior. In baseball, you see players get 'hit' by a pitch (already start walking towards 1st base befor an umpire makes a call), basketball (recent lebron james acting), even sometimes in hockey. worse is in european football (but if refs are able to see blatant acting, they are able to card).

it's just really important to have important line judges and umpires who are not influenced by the players AND the crowd..

13. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Boe and Mogensen are unique in that not only do they try to influence line judges, when opponents do it

instead of complaining to the umpire they confront opponents directly and try to start a quarrel to psyche opponents.

Their delaying tactics during serve and receiving serve are legendary just like Taiwan vs Denmark last night.

To me its just pro tactics like football, it is easy to psyche younger players but experienced players will know how to ignore it.

14. zombiez

zombiez Regular Member

Full time Dad
    What are these in bold? Looks like chlsy8 cannot be a line judge :D

15. thomaskm

thomaskm Regular Member

I don't think it's fair to say just DEN doubles have the act of influencing the line judge and unethical.

Even some Chinese pairs, for example Cai Yun and Fu Haifung or Zhang Nan and Zhao Yunlei always attampt to influence the line judge too. (I am 100% sure about that as i have seen this occurred several times in different matches). Also, i don't think this matter should bring up to as serious as "ethical" issue, i think players on court just anxious to win therefor doing such act.

16. chlsy8

chlsy8 Regular Member

I think you got the point. lol

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    The world can see who is the good guy and the bad guy. It's drama. ;)

18. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

To me, not only Denmark's players....other country also.

I wont called it as unethical, they just trying to protect their right and give some pressure to those line judges to be more alert during the game.

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    It takes all sorts. Just because you are a great badminton player, a pro and represent your country, does not necessarily mean you are a gentleman/woman. Sadly, sledging has become commonplace and "OK" in many games. Cheating is not so rare either. While it may say something about the individual, it does not define the game, or a country, or even a team. My 2c :)

20. badadum

badadum Regular Member

Last I checked Lars and Jonas doesn't have this bad reputation about them, so stop lumping everyone together.