Filipina Poca Alcala wins Li-ning Australia Junior's Singles crown!

Discussion in '2011 Tournaments' started by vip_m, May 18, 2011.

1. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    Filipino #1 ladies singles player, Malvinne "Poca" Alcala is improving her chances to earn enough points to join the 2012 Olympics in London. She just won the Li-ning Australia Junior's Singles crown!

DSC00507.jpg

Here's an article from her win extracted from http://interaksyon.com/article/3643/alcala-bags-australia-jrs-plum

"Young at 16 and tall at about five-foot-seven, Alcala disposed of top seed Wendy Chen of Australia in the semifinals and made mincemeat of third seed Fiona Seah of Singapore, 21-8, 21-9, in the finals to dominate the tournament that drew some of the best juniors in the Asia-Pacific.

"On her way to the finals, the champion of last year’s Singapore Youth International Championships eliminated Aussies Sarah Wong, 21-14, 21-17, in the round of 32 and Maddie Stapleton, 21-11, 21-9, in the round of 16. In the quarterfinals, she had fifth seed Verdet Kessler as her next victim, 21-15, 21-10, before showing the top-ranked Chen the door, 16-21, 21-17, 21-17, in the semifinals. She had little trouble dominating Seah in the finals."

Hopefully some more sponsors and endorsers will help her to travel to tournaments abroad and gain points and international competition experience.

So if any of you guys work for companies that can sponsor her, please do so. You can contact her at the Club 650 badminton courts in Libis.

Hello Cherifer! Poca was 5'7" at 13! Maybe you should sponsor her in ads! Hello San Miguel Corporation! Put her in your Magnolia ads!

Attached Files:

2. MelvIndonesia

MelvIndonesia Regular Member

Student
    She is still 16 years old?
    I thing she will be the best Philippines WS badminton player all the time :D

3. petergade

petergade Regular Member

congrats! :)

all the best...

4. miksss

miksss Regular Member

5. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Wow. Poca looks so thin in those pics. I'm not saying she's fat in person. She just looks thiner. Maybe it's just me. She's definitely talented. I wish for her to get more sponsors and to be able to finish school.

6. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

not sure the photo of her is how long ago.

but the racket she is holding is astec maximum

very good n medium flex.....

7. lindan_din

lindan_din Regular Member

badminton player
    yeah you're right!she is the only hope for the philippines in badminton to become world class caliber player or olympic champion in the near future,so the Phil.B.A. must give her a good program
    in training and international exposures like what the other countries do to their top and young players like thailand,japan,india,korea and indonesia.they keep sending them in international tournaments.or even those in private sector or companies pleas help this young player of yours to enhance and improve her skill level in away of giving her financial support for her international tournaments and training.i guarantee you if continues sending her in international tournament 2-3 years you will have a world champion.she is the Philippines pride.FYI she have a 12 year old brother,this boy has a very big potential to become next taufik hidayat of indonesia he has a very good skill, and he had already 2 title in international junior tournaments in singapore, the 2009 li-ning junior int'l series U 11 BS and 2011 U 13 BS both champion,and in local tournaments he won a GRAND SLAM in 2011 PBARS 4 leg tournaments in U 15 BS,at the age of 12 he completed the 4 leg tourny as a champion in U 15 BS.wow!the Phil.government and the Phil.B.A. and private sector must do something for this ALCALA sibling they are the only hope to bring honor for your coutry in badminton.me,my self i will give my 100% support for them in way of watching and monitoring them in the international tournaments.