Anyone use 'Non-Badminton' specific shoes?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Maklike Tier, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I dumped my Yonex shoes last year because the sole disintegrated and I found that they severely lacked cushioning for my 97kg / 193cm frame, and switched to Asics Gel Challenger 7's.

They're a pretty good shoe, but I'd like to find something lighter, as the top of them is unnecessarily tough, being almost entirely synthetic leather. Which is fine for Tennis, not so great for Badders.

Last weekend I had a fondle of some Nike Kobe VI basketball shoes and I was actually really impressed! They looked like they had good soles, good cushioning, not fat or bulky at all, and I'm guessing seeing they're for big basketball dudes, they might actually be viable for me.

Anyone have any experience with any other lightweight court shoes?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

You may want to look into volleyball shoes, as they're designed for indoor courts, lateral motion, and especially in your case, cushioned for big dudes like yourself. :)

3. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Yeah, I'm kinda intrigued by the Mizunos, but the Kobe VI's are just so deliciously light. :)

4. Blisse

Blisse Regular Member

Student
    I think the argument against cushioning was that if the shoes are too comfortable, then it often means there is too much cushioning. The body and feet were designed so that humans should walk barefoot. Meaning that the cushioning should mimic the natural movement and rotation of the feet in that activity.

Running shoes are designed for a very specific set of motions. Same with all sport shoes. As an example, you wouldn't want to use hiking shoes for badminton, as they are designed for light walking, endurance and good traction.

There many not be any consequences with random shoes for light recreational play, but when it gets intense, the wrong shoe could twist an ankle.

Or it could be that all shoe companies are spouting non-sense with their specifically sport targeted shoes in order to maximize profit.

Shoes are very much like racquets; everyone has a different feel of what's good and bad, but in the end, everyone likes and gets their own, and no one can say one is better than the other. It's simply that shoes are immediate necessities, so they have developed further.

But holy cow you're like 6"6 and 220lbs. I'm not sure how much of it applies to badminton players of that size... do they even exist?

5. jdm_supplies

jdm_supplies Regular Member

I'm 110kg on a 6' frame. I used to wear the KOBE V for badminton and still find them better overall though they cost almost twice as much as compared to my current SHB-91MX. Have already bought another KOBE V to replace my current shoes once they wear out.

6. badmoon

badmoon New Member

Yup, the kobe's are great, but the thing with basketball shoes is that almost all of them are only offered with one width per size, so you really have to try your luck. I would recommend Mizuno wave lightning 6's (volleyball shoes)... I actually find them a bit better than my shb92mx on average wooden gym floors in terms of traction. To be fair, on rubber mats, the 92's are better in traction and felt much faster (because they are a lot closer to the ground) on rubber.

And yeah.... 6'6 and 220 lbs... think of the intimidation when you are playing doubles on the front court against this guy....

7. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    I'm a size 12.5 and they regularly go on ebay for USD110 which isn't expensive, especially when you consider they're USD240 here in Australia.

I think an indoor court shoe is an indoor court shoe. I honestly can't see how the Yonexes I had were any better or worse designed than my Tennis based Gel Challenger 7's - except of course my C7's have lasted longer, and have more cushioning for guys that aren't a 60kg Azn dude.

Oh, and for the record I'm 6ft 3ins :)

Thanks for sharing your experiences jdm, good to know I'm not the only non-midget playing Badders! ;)

8. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

How about tennis shoes? (e.g. Adidas Barricade)

I sometimes wear tennis shoes if I play on concrete/tiled court.

All around great cushioning for lateral and forward/backward movement.

Only downside is kinda heavy to stand for prolong periods on the 'balls of your feet'.

9. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    when I go back to Indonesia I will buy badminton shoes
    for now I use running shoes

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Volleyball players aren't exactly midgets either so models like the Gel Sensei might be something if they are wide enough for you (rather narrow) and Mizuno volleyball models ...

11. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Yeah, I've been eyeing off the Wave Lightning and Tornados, but I've never seen them in the shops here.

12. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Man, if they made a lowtop version, that would be very interesting.

I made the mistake of trying on a pair of Kobe VI's last week. They fit like a glove and you feel fast just standing in them, and from the brief time I was in them darting around the shop like an idiot, I couldn't see how they'd offer any less support or directional stability than a 'dedicated' Badminton shoe. I'm sold!

Which reminds me, I still gotta sell that kidney......

13. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

I went away from Yonex shoes because my knee would bother me after training a bit (Osgood S.)
    After witching to Asics Rocket I didn't have a problem anymore. I went to Mizuno Wave Spike and they felt ok, but my knee starting to act up again (yes I know they are women's shoes but they were on sale for $40 usd).

I think I'm going to go back to Asics and try the Volley Lyte next. Keep in mind that Asics have a thicker sole than the Mizuno and Yonex so watch your ankles until you get used to the height.