question about returning the serving when playing doubles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jamesxie63, Mar 31, 2011.

1. jamesxie63

jamesxie63 Regular Member

agent
    sometimes when i return the serving, if i react wrongly and the bird is already behind me, in this case should i still have to step backward to return this serving or just give up. i mean if i still have time to get this bird? thank you.

2. Blisse

Blisse Regular Member

Student
    Never give up. Never surrender. What's the fun in surrendering when you still have time to get the bird?

3. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    Do you mean that they are flicking you? if so are they flicking you a lot? you should still go for the shuttle if you know that its going to land in, never let a shuttle go that is going to be in.

To prevent that from happening always have your racquet around top of the net level when waiting to return the serve. And maybe take one step back incase your standing to close to the line, else if its just once in a while this happens then practice pushing yourself backwards so that your able to get into the back of the service box to hit a shot quickly. All in the power and explosive movement that your legs can generate to move you in a quick situation like that.

4. Sunsgambit

Sunsgambit Regular Member

Student
    Never, EVER, EVER give up! Keep calm, move back, relax and try to get the shuttle back any way you can (preferably with a clear)

Now, I'm not saying do this (because you can't - only the great Lin Dan can do this in a freaking tournament), but it gives you some idea, plus this is amazing and this topic made me think of it... rant over, just watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6qgxmhQRkQ&feature=related

5. Alapongtai

Alapongtai Regular Member

if you dont wanna be tricked, dont have all of your momentum frontwards when theyre serving. that way you can either attack or step back accordingly.
    if you get tricked, try to move back as fast as possible and return the birdie with a jump clear if that makes sense... or just a regular clear lol
    and as others said, dont ever give up because you can actually get a lot of them back if you really tried even if you dont think so.

@sunsgambit those shots are amazing but i think lin dan kinda did them on purpose lol
    i mean he had some time to move back since those lifts were pretty high...and u dont even see him running back. he just jogs back lol

6. Dr.Dino

Dr.Dino Regular Member

Never give up on the rally. If you have the chance go for it. A famous quote said,"You miss 100% of the shots that you don't try." Give up, and you'll never know what would've happened. I understand it's annoying when you have the wrong reaction, believe me it has happened to me before, and all you have to do is keep playing, and sooner or later, you'd be able to get the right reaction.
    Practice makes Perfect, remember that quote??????

7. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    Try this,
    If you are standing close to the service line-mentally be prepared for the flick serve. Keep the racket up and be ready to intercept any flicks. And once you see that it is a low serve, you still have enough time to move forward and intercept it near the tape because, low serve will travel dlow.

I have seen a lot of players doing the other way-standing as close to the net as possible and and always prepared for the low serve only. An advanced opponent can easly deceive this kind of players with a flick#drive serve.

Let me warn you-to toe in on service line and yet effectively deal with flicks, you need around 6" feet height or very quick reflexes (and preferably both) Otherwise, it is better to stand 1-2 feet behind service line.

Prince