Wrongful Resignation?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by raymond, Mar 21, 2011.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Nah, that's ok. :D you are what u r... as r v all... :D

2. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    @urameatball

On your point about pushing body limits, I totally agree with you on that! I think we're just getting mixed up now because we're comparing physical stamina to injuries that indirectly happen due to fatigue or the stress we put on certain parts of the body that aren't muscle. Pushing your endurance to the limit definitely will increase the strength of your muscles as well as the stamina they have, you're totally right. But they don't increase your resistance to injury, that's from technique training in my opinion. And perhaps if you feel less tired because of your stamina training, you'll be less prone to injury since that's what we've been talking about anyway =).

@Blisse

Since I just talked about endurance and physical stamina, being tired is part of EVERY sport (physical AND mental), not just badminton. If sports were about playing always at your best and only when you're not tired, that takes some of the fun out of the sport because it's one major part of competing. It's great if you have good technique when you're not tired, but being able to do the same when you're tired is a hard thing to do. That's what pros have to deal with all the time, trying to win even if they're tired. Just because tiredness is affecting your game, it doesn't mean you should give up. Now if you're tired to the point where you'll throw up or you think you'll injure yourself, that's another thing to consider and you should perhaps think about calling it a night because we already discussed that it might lead to injury if you make a bad step or land awkwardly because you neglected your footwork technique while tired.

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    A post of mine has just disappeared from this thread. ???

4. druss

druss Regular Member

Last post of mine in this thread because basically, we're just going around in circles.

I don't play the game to just win... I play to have fun, if that means sometimes that I play at less than my best so that my opponents can have a better game then I will do so.

The philosophy that winners never quit... sorry but that's ********... winners quit all the time. Pro athletes will pull out of a match BEFORE they get hurt BECAUSE it's their livelihood. Sure, in the finals of wimbledon or the AE a pro will give 110% but in a regular tournament? No, he will "quit" before he injures himself because one stupid decision will affect his/her entire career and the quality of his/her life until they die (if the injury is bad enough).

I don't care how macho your personal attitude is, if you use the same attitude in all aspects of your life then don't bother getting married and please, please don't have kids... life is all about how well you can deal with compromise... most of THE MOST important decisions in your life will be a compromise.

5. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    tell that any professional boxer, motorcycle racer, rugby, UFC, Football, Hockey player. They play through a whole slew of injuries.
    or how about a marathon runner, triathlete, or ironman contestant who vomits mid-race and continues like it was nothing... or push till they faint and require medical attention.
    And if memory serves, didn't Ivanovic AND Zvonareva at some point within the last few months play until they passed out on the tennis court? I believe both instances were on regular ATP tournaments (non grand-slams).

"winners quit all the time"? wouldn't that make the 'winner'... a loser? And wouldn't that make the other guy... the winner who didn't quit?

6. visor

visor Regular Member

eh... pass..........

7. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    awww, come on, feed the fire... pleeeease :D

8. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    I always ask myself, "What would Ana Ivanovic do?" (WWAID?)

So if she played till she passed out, I will do the same from now on.

9. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    An interesting point, and unrelated somewhat, is that I believe (don't quote me on this...) that Roger Federer has never not completed a tennis match/tournament that he started. If that is no longer true, then it was true for a number of years (at least 5). Now, we all know that he is very careful about looking after himself, and will not enter a tournament if he feels he needs to rest/protect his body, but once he started, he never stopped. In the face of everything, I think that is astounding!

I seem to remember a 5 set match in the final of the end of year Masters vs David Nalbandian where Federer was injured, and lost, but played a very good tactical game, to try and make up for his physical problems. Very admirable in my opinion.

I think this post was just to glorify roger federer, but it also shows a very interesting mindset of a very talented/dominant/competitive player.

Matt

10. Blisse

Blisse Regular Member

Student
    Well I'm not Roger Federer, but I tried playing today against another opponent after being destroyed ruthlessly by a better one. Pulled or ripped something in my thigh, and couldn't continue. Sure I could have played through the pain, but at what cost? Losing and worsening the injury? I was unable to stand or bend my knee, and I still am unable to, five hours later. I think I'm not prepared for the physical effort it takes to play singles twice a week and practice three times a week. My body is literally falling apart. I forfeited that match, but already at what cost?

11. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Blisse, I am sorry to hear that you picked up an injury. It is never a good idea to play through that pain if it might make the injury worse.

I hope you rest well and recover quickly.

So you all know:
    A recent release by badmintonlife.com is a 70 video training exercise regime for badminton players, thought up by one of the top canadian badminton squad personal trainers. He goes through in quite a lot of detail ways to improve co-ordination, flexibility, some dynamic stretches (VERY important), plyometric exercises, strength work, general fitness work and a fantastic wealth of knowledge put into recovery, regeneration after playing/training and injury prevention protocols for the knees, ankles and shoulders.

I think its fantastic, and worth a look to any who are interested.