Wrongful Resignation?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by raymond, Mar 21, 2011.

1. druss

druss Regular Member

I subscribe to the philosophy of: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Einstein was a pretty smart guy...

It would be a lot simpler if life was black and white as Tactim states, unfortunately, we live in a world of greys. The philosophy of "winners never quit and quitters never win" is easier to live by when you're in your prime, less so as you get older.

#41 druss, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

I think most of us here already agree that we should recognize the limitations of our bodies and avoid playing beyond it, otherwise we're at risk of incurring minor or even heavens forbid, major injuries. Even in tournament matches, we're still really playing at a recreational albeit competitive level, but not professional.

It is just a game, fellas. Our pride may be on the line. But we can always keep our bodies intact and come back to fight another battle another time. We have to keep this in mind.

However, having said that, I can understand that we should not quit a game just because we're slightly tired. Once we've accepted to play a game, we have a responsibility to play to the end, unless we were injured or overly fatigued. At that point that becomes our prerogative to choose to continue or stop playing. No one can force us to keep playing then.

#42 visor, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  3. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    it's never black and white, you're right...
    but in competitive sports, and you're dead tired and down by 5 points in the finals, you dig deep and tell yourself "alright, suck it up, I can do this".
    Because the alternative is "good game, I'm tired, going home to take a nap"... and that by definition, is a pansy.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

I think most of us have some semblance of pride preventing us from doing that.

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes

Actually, that's all quite profound! I'm sure Sun Tsu would have regarded you as a worthy candidate for a student...

6. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Firstly, I apologize to you and anyone that I might have offended along the way. Some of the comments somehow did provoke some strong but negative feelings in me. I guess I wasn't in a very good mindset, and perhaps shouldn't have come out of the closet anyway.

But, as Matt pointed out, I asked for a discussion, so I guess I need to be ready for anything. And for you Matt, I actually read a lot of your posts, and have a lot of respect for your technical inputs here on this forum.

That certainly wasn't my intention, to set up a strawman, and to beat it to death, in order to win an argument. Maybe I really didn't read your post careful enough. However, I also feel you and perhaps a few others here didn't read some of my previous posts careful enough either.

I said - my daughter is very young, and had played 12 intensive games against tougher/stronger opponents (and she lost all of them) leading to this last match , all in 3 hours.

It's perhaps easy/obvious to say the pros won't quit because of tiredness, but then would they get into a comparably tight situation in the first place?

I also said she started making lots of mistakes in her 13th game, and showed in body language a sign of fatigue. I didn't say she played carelessly. Note that making lots of mistakes when one's tired should be quite normal, isn't it?

I admitted a mistake was made (to allow her to start this last match), and asked if this mistake should be corrected, or instead, should have let her finish, as someone (e.g. parents) complained about.

And I also asked why this early resignation is disrespectful. What I got from your post is the repeat of "early resignation is disrespectful", "is not courteous to your opponent". But why? I think I almost get everything I'd like to get out of this thread. This is perhaps the last thing I'd like to discuss/hear about. Any more comments?

Perhaps we're at different wavelengths (i.e. the topic somehow was switched without each of us knew about it)?

This is certainly a very tempting offer, something I'd have taken up many years ago. Now, I'm more aware how precious my time really is, and the policy of this forum...

7. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Here's a video clip in which Zhao JianHua discussed about injury prevention. Around 2:59, it mentioned about the relationship between being tired and being more easily injured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzsoeDZYRhY&feature=related

Granted he only spoke from experience, and didn't try to analyze the reasoning (physiological or otherwise) behind it.

And then if you google around with "tiredness", "sports", "injury" as keywords, you'd find some articles about their relationship.

E.g. http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/back/hamstrings/hamstringstrain.htm
    "Tiredness and fitness: When a player is fatigued he/she loses coordination between certain muscle groups. The biceps femoris muscle is known to become damaged due its two portions being innervated by two separate nerves. In states of tiredness, lack of synchronization between these two nerves can lead to a mismatch in firing resulting in a pulled hamstring. "

And http://www.brianmac.co.uk/injury.htm
    "Fatigued muscles do a poor job of protecting their associated connective tissues, increasing the risk of damage to bone, cartilage, tendons and ligaments."

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Our discussion was going in different directions......

I should have reminded everyone that our discussion was going in different directions;

(1) Raymond was asking: Was I wrong to stop my daughter's match?

(2) Matt was telling us: Tiredness doesn't lead to injuries.

Some BCers (including myself) replied to (1), some to (2), and some to both (1) and (2).
    :):):)

9. Blisse

Blisse Regular Member

Student
    There is a difference between resigning because you're scared of losing once you're tired and resigning because your body can't go on.

You'll see very often that if you're winning, you don't even notice being tired. And sometimes, when you push yourself, you don't notice that pain either. It doesn't mean the pain is not there, just you don't feel it.

The question you must ask yourself is if you had an overwhelming lead and this same sense of being tired, would you still continue to play? Only then can you decide whether to quit when you're tired.

If I cannot give my opponent, or myself, a good game, I will not hesitate to stop. Who wants to play a game for fun when all you do is crush your friend? Not I. In a tournament, I am obliged to be in the best shape I am to give a good game. If I fail to do so, then I must put up my best effort until the game is over, since we're playing for something, honour or points, not just fun.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It was Raymond who stopped the match, not his daughter (the player)

From what we have read (from Post #1 to here), I believe that Raymond's daughter wanted to continue to finish her match.

It was Raymond who stopped the match, not his daughter (the player).

#50 chris-ccc, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  11. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Raymond:

I think I would agree, we were on different wavelengths! I seem to recall at the start of my first post, saying I would not go into whether this was right or wrong at all, but was interested to see why people thought that tiredness led to injury - unfortunately, thats not what this topic was about - my fault!

I firstly apologise for the rudeness of my comments. I did not know (I must have misread - I apologise) that it was evident that your daughter looked fatigued - I also mentioned that its usually obvious to see if someone should stop playing or not, and having not been there, its difficult to judge. As I have said before, if you felt there may be concerns for her safety, then stopping the match was absolutely the right thing to do. To clear this up: if an injury is at risk, I do not see it as disrespectful to stop the match short. Indeed, that sounds sensible. And the comments from the other parents were very strange.

What then occurred to me, was whether there actually WAS a reason for tiredness to increase the likelihood of injuries. I was somewhat sceptical as to whether injury is more likely from tiredness: and I meant that only in terms of facts, not opinions. I would have expected that a tired player, probably chooses to push themselves harder, and that pushing results in the injuries (not the tiredness). I wondered why people thought that tiredness itself cause the problems.

I think you have found the answer to those questions with some of your links above. A simple enough job to find them (something I should have done in my own time, but I was in this for the discussion).

Although I respect Zhao tremendously, I am inclined not to trust "experience", even given his wealth of it, because I know that there are so many variables involved, and its usually hard to separate the true cause and effect. However, the other links provide a physiological reason for why more injuries occur. It certainly makes sense that as your body becomes more fatigued, they start to respond differently to the mental stimulus (the neuronal activity that activates the use of those muscles - this is unchanged as I understand it), than when they were fresh. This, potentially leading to less coordinated movements, and thus injuries are more likely. This sort of result, is easy for me to accept as tiredness being a cause of injury.

I think visor summed up quite nicely the point I was trying and obviously failing to make.

Cheers

Matt

12. Blisse

Blisse Regular Member

Student
    I just played two games where I was too tired to put up a good fight.

Against the first opponent, I was worn down completely by the second set. The first set was close, but the second set was full of mistakes and me being tired. So I lost that.

The next opponent was even better, and I was even more tired from the back to back games. I found I couldn't put up any resistance at all. My legs were stiff and glued to the ground. My reaction was terrible. And my returns missed more than half the time.

Basically I played a game where I mis-hit the majority of the serves. Meaning a best of three lasted maybe five minutes. Probably less. In that situation, is there even a point in going on? I'm going to lose, he knows it and I know it. I'm tired, and he knows it already from before. And neither of us have fun or a good game when one player can't see or hit.

At this point, tiredness is affecting my game, and I thought about this thread. Shouldn't I just have forfeited? I was all over the place, falling over, tripping, and pushing myself to go on, but to no success. There's a physical limit to the body, and I don't know whether I reached it then. Maybe I should have forfeited.

As a side note, I haven't gotten good sleep in a week, and I've been practicing or playing for four days straight.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

I think it's good for us to push ourselves to "playing till exhaustion" at least once in our lives so that we know where our ultimate limits are. Then we can draw from that watershed experience and know our limits and know when to draw the line.

"I know my limit, do you know yours?" :D

#53 visor, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  14. urameatball

Photographer
    but the greatest thing about the human body is the more your push the limit, the greater the limit becomes. It's why when you do training, you always train to the point to complete exhaustion, then try to do one more set after that.

15. Blisse

Blisse Regular Member

Student
    What if you're so tired you can't do one more set? Like, completely unable to play?

And why are you up so late? o:

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Train to the point to complete exhaustion

IMHO, training to complete exhaustion may be good for the training for stamina/endurance; but for the training for speed/power, it is best performed before the body is tired.

#56 chris-ccc, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  17. blackvans1234

blackvans1234 Regular Member

Yeah....Im a human biology major and theres something you should know about tendons and ligaments.
    The human knee has many attachments for both tendons, and ligaments (just look at how much your knee can bend and twist)
    Tendons- connect muscles to bone
    Ligaments- connect bone to bone

To ''push yourself to the limit, the greater the limit becomes" is not true for tendons and ligaments. I don't care what sport it is, how physically fit or built someone is (be it cardiovascular capability or muscle mass), tendons and ligaments do not increase/decrease in size/strength.

In the case of the child, I feel as though the father made the right choice, a torn ligament or tendon is something that could be very detrimental to a child because they are not fully developed yet.

Tendons and ligaments do not readily heal because they do not have adequate blood supply. There is no way these can be trained. These are our physical limitations, end of story
    Technique is key, poor technique will damage these 'untrainable' ligaments/tendons.
    Training will not change your tendons/ligaments

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Heh! Maybe its time for you to change your alias to drillsergeant! :D

19. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    He could also change it to trollface.

20. urameatball

Photographer
    All I know is hard work pays off, and quitting doesn't.
    if that makes me a troll, then call me drill-sergeant troll-face. (only fair since I'm allowed to call quitters pansies)