carbonex 21 special usage help recquired

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by vijaykumar, Mar 11, 2011.

1. vijaykumar

vijaykumar Regular Member

Banking
    Hi All,
    I have a cab 21 special stung wth BG65 @21 lbs, cab 8000 plus .
    I particulary find playing with cab 21 special not that good .. i feel its lacks power ... or may be me .... smashes are not that powerful but the drops and overheads are pretty good.
    i feel cab 8000 plus to be pretty good .... considering the fact cab 21 special to be double the cost of cab 8000 plus.
    Can you guys point out wats the difference between both and point out how can i make use better of 21 special.

2. RyuHayabusa999

RyuHayabusa999 Regular Member

Businessman
    I sold the racquet a long time ago. Get something new and better.

3. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    replace that string. pick either bg80 or bg85 @ 24lbs.

4. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

I totally agree with this. I think the cab21 special was only delivered in 2U. For 2U use the BG80. If it was a 3U version, us a thinner string with more repulsion power like the BG85 or BG66. On my 2U cab21's I have BG80's. On the 3U version the BG66. 24 LBS is almost the limit for this thin and older racket.

5. vijaykumar

Banking
    i always felt skill and secondary racket is more important.
    can someone explain how important is string?
    wouldnt stringing cab 21 special at 24 lbs harm the racket , the maximum limit mentioned on the cone 22 lbs?
    can some point out the strength of cab 21 special?

6. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    22 lbs on the cone is recommended tension and covered by warranty
    however, usually a racket can hold more than that tension

if you are afraid 24lbs would harm the racket, then try 22lbs

7. vijaykumar

Banking
    thanks man fr reply ... i wld possbily string it with 24 lbs BG 80 ... can you point out how important is string ? and how really it helps ?

8. CarbonexFan

BG65 is very durable, but has little repulsion power so feels very dull. The BG80 has a higher rate of repulsion. Stringing it at lower tension usually has more power, but less control. If you string it at higher tension, the control will be better, but the 'catapult effect' will be less.

9. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I'm not very knowledgeable with string (so please correct me if I'm wrong)

the string is pretty important because it is the point where your racket contact with shuttle
    no matter how good the racket is, if you choose wrong string and tension, you will feel it
    numb feel, not repulsive enough, not lively, cannot generate enough power from it, etc

string divided into tension and thickness (CMIIW)

lower tension usually more forgiving because of larger sweet spot
    and if you are a beginner or lack of power, lower tension help you to bring out power (since there is trampoline effect)
    lower tension also helps to maintain the string (string durability)
    however, for few shots that require precision such as net play and bird placement, lower tension makes it worse because you need to count the trampoline effect

high string tension is not forgiving, it is because higher tension means smaller sweet spot
    it also give better precision in net play, or bird placement
    and also the string feels more repulsive
    if you have power and right technique it would be better to choose higher tension because you want to trade your power with more precision
    it also produce higher / crisp sound which is pretty nice to hear
    however, higher tension means your string is tighter and it would snap easily (depending on the string thickness though)
    and without correct technique, higher tension would be a disaster for you since they are not forgiving and you cannot generate power from it
    many pro players use high string tension, such as 28-36lbs

string thickness:
    thicker string means the string can hold higher tension and has good durability
    however, it feels numb and less lively

thinner string, would give you better feel and repulsive
    however, it cannot hold high tension, and has bad durability

choosing string tension is matter of your power and technique
    choosing string thickness is like trade off, better durability or performance

#9 Avenger, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  10. CarbonexFan

Tried to tell in fewer words. I agree with all except the sweet spot section. I don't think the string tension influences the sweet spot and the forgiving properties. It's a design specification of the racket.

11. vijaykumar

Banking
    thanks man ... you put in a very simple words ... i would do the stringing on next weekend ... would update on the change of play

12. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

I know few people who uses the racket for few month only. After that its either they sold it or just get a new one. I've tried this 21 special, and personally I think apacs clone are better racket. Carbonex 21 special is no where near the carbonex 21 sp. The 21sp is still among the best racket to play with. If you still need to play with the racket then you might need to experiment with the right string, string tension and the grip size. Happy badminton.:D

13. vijaykumar

Banking
    Hi
    can someone point me out ... wether cab 21 special is an offensive racket or defensive racket ?
    by going through http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/30885-Yonex-String-Chart thread it seems BG 80 - hard hitter kind of thread and BG - 85 goes more for control .
    Suppose If cab 21 special is more of defensive racket that can i string it with BG 80 for more power or cab 21 special is more offensive racket than i can go BG 85 or is stringing generally done the way that racket and string strengths are mapped together or they contast each other.
    To give you sense of my play .... i can hit the birdie from back boundary line to opp back boundary line ... i am good at drops , clear ... but smashes really lack power