Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hunterex196

Hunterex196 Regular Member

For those who have already tried out the VT80, can someone compare it to the AT700 for me? thanks a lot!!

2. muslepower

muslepower Regular Member

VT80 replace the AT900,power smash and better swing than AT900 and better than AT700, if who's want less heavy than VT80,AT900 better take VT70 very good for smash & swing but for the fastest swing ever NS9900,no racket can't bit it, i play with more than 1 year and now i try my new racket VT70 1 week old. Any opion BC?

3. jasonkok7

jasonkok7 Regular Member

Yonex vt80 review

Racket Model : Yonex Voltric 80 (SP)
    Specs : 3UG5
    Strings: Yonex Nanogy 98
    Tension: 31lbs , 1 Piece Stringing
    Stringing Machine : Yonex ESPRO
    Grip: Karakal PU Super Grip
    Shuttle Used: Yonex AS50

Initial Feeling
    This racket feels head heavy, the balance point is around 300mm. When I first swing the racket in the air, it feels very aerodynamic for a head heavy racket. Swing speed is much faster then the Armortec 700 or 900 Power, but slightly slower than the Z slash. Base line to base line hits was effortless. I just simply had a feeling that I am going to fall in love with this racket. Net play was pretty precise, with spinning net shots taking some time to get used to the feel. The raw power when smashing with this racket is amazing. However, I don't think I hear much of the difference with the Yonex sound filter technology. Probably just a marketing strategy... Receiving smashes with this racket was quite easy and I could control the placement of the shuttle pretty well. Flat pushes and drives takes a little more effort.

Game Time
    The different swing speed while smashing messed up my timing a little especially when trying to jump smash. After a few mistimed smashes, I got my grove and my goodness, I was banging the shuttle down like no other. Kind of reminds me of the good old armortec 700. Lifting the shuttle from the front of the net was quite easy too. Drop shots were pretty sharp, I actually had 2 drop shots which hit the net tape before dropping over. Net shots were very well executed. I managed to apply quite a lot of spin on the shuttle and cross court net shorts were very sharp. I would say that the racket shaft feels quite stiff, but not as stiff as the Li Ning N-90.

Conclusion
    I think I have found myself a brand new weapon. Certainly a good racket to try out if you like head heavy rackets, however, be aware that due to the faster swing speed, smashing will take some time to get used to. But once you hit the sweetspot, you can feel the raw power of the racket. Now I know why Lee Chong Wei was so lethal with his new racket.

Feel: 9/10
    Control: 9.5/10
    Power: 10/10
    Defense: 9.5/10
    Maneuverability: 9/10

Pros: Smashing Power, aerodynamic head shape, Nice feel, Color(Well done Yonex, awesome color scheme),
    Cons: None, except the sound filter which doesn't seem to make any difference

Jason Kok

4. gollywog

gollywog Regular Member

Do you think this racket would work for an intermediate standard player with improving technique???

5. bedesoop

bedesoop Regular Member

do you think this racket suitable for double?

6. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Yeah, I think when doing a review it's a good idea to say whether you play mostly singles or mostly doubles, and what level of play you're at.

7. jigglin

jigglin New Member

What do you mean with "main" weight?? didnt know that a raquet got a main version.
    could you explain that in regards of the feeling or differences please?

jigglin :)

8. jasonkok7

jasonkok7 Regular Member

I mostly play singles, but I do play doubles as well... I am currently studying overseas, but when I am in Malaysia, I played for school, and state, and also did play in the Majlis Sukan Negara tournament. Right now in the states, I also do play in a few badminton tournaments there. I am not sure if this racket would be suitable for improving technique, as for playability, I believe it is suitable for both singles and doubles. With the more aerodynamic frame, you can definitely play fast drives and flat pushes, however, after awhile you might get a little tired due to the head heaviness.

9. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    I reckon the switching to VT80 enabled LCW to have a better defense than his days with AT900p, as demonstrated in getting a few deadly netkills back from LD in this year's AE MSF. LD may not try his best in the jump smashes but I think the netkills are just as fast and returning them means more than the points he won that LD lost, but more so in damaging LD's confidence too.

I think VT80 will be LCW's newest lucky charm, against LD especially.

10. KLFreedom

KLFreedom Regular Member

Does Voltric80 swing speed on par with Arc8DX?

11. jasonkok7

jasonkok7 Regular Member

I am sorry I can't answer that question as I have never tried the arc8DX. If you are talking about swing speed, it is slightly slower than the Zslash but faster then armortec 700. I reckon it is gonna be pretty similar to the arc10, not so sure about the arc8dx

12. justinpops

justinpops Regular Member

Sales Manager
    Im currently using a VT-70. Is it going to be tough adapting to the 80? Its more stiff more head heavy.
    Currently using a 4u. Was thinking of getting a 3u vt80. Or should i just get the 4u vt80?

13. ieim_17

ieim_17 Regular Member

Student
    the swing speed of VT-80 is definitely slower than ARC8DX and ARC10 due to it`s head-heaviness. but its not too big that you can adjust to it`s timing instantly.

and VT70 and VT80 is a completely different racket imo. like KWUN said earlier, beginner or weaker intermediate player shouldnt get even near to this racket.
    VT80 is a lot head-heavier and siffer than VT70. that`s why yonex classified VT70 as racket for intermediate.
    and if you dont have good technique and power, dont expect to tame this beast

14. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

I think it is all BS and LCW has just improved and Lin Dan didn't play awesome, but LCW did play at his best. I was there and in the 2nd game he only made like 1 or 2 errors, it is not the racket, it is the player. With his old AT900P he used to play a lot of brushes at the net as well.

15. KLFreedom

KLFreedom Regular Member

I only play doubles, then VT80 is not that suitable for me, cos will suffer from poorer defence...

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Hmm... I thought one of the Danes doubles pair was using the VT80 last week at the AE2011... ?

17. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
  18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

More doubles players use it other than Boe but they're not (semi-)pro's for nothing. They all have good defense compared to average joe ... I'd say the majority so far are doubles players on tour.

#418 demolidor, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  19. lordisis

lordisis Regular Member

looking forward for ur review paul... :)

20. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

If VT80 is somewhat like an improved AT900P, then certainly they'll also come up with a revamped version of AT900T:cool:.