2011 All England: Day 4 Friday 11-March (Quarter-Finals)

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2011' started by chris-ccc, Mar 10, 2011.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Shizuka Matsuo/Mami Naito beat another CHN pair today (after Du Jing/Pan Pan yesterday) 21-19, 15-21, 24-22 in a match that lasted 69 mins. They saved 1 match pt, despite having 3 match pts of their own saved earlier.

They will now face their team-mate Mizuki Fujii/Reika Kakiiwa for a place in the Final.

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The Japanese gals sealed it, yes! Aiyoo, hope your friend & family are ok.

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    No wonder the Malaysians lost. The Danes are using 'BoMoh' (I think 'black magic' in Malay) on them.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    wow. 3 Japan entries in semi-final!

too bad the WD gets to meet each other in semi already.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    We thought you were to be waking up early to watch the Hoon Thein How/Zakry match.
    :p:p:p

6. cadlag

cadlag Regular Member

researcher
    Both Tian and Zhao played tough MD before. LYB should seriously consider this issue for OG 2012. The schedule of OG12 will be hard for players who play two games

7. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

not bad, at least they ensure a final place in WD. :D I think Hirose has a very good chance to be in the final too. This AE always produces 'black horse'. :D

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Indeed a most fantastic win for the Japanese girls. And one of their teams will enter the finals since the surviving two JPN pairs will be meeting today in the SF. Can they go on to win the title?

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Japan WD arriving at the 2011 All England Finals !!!

What a great achievement by Japan; Arriving at the 2011 All England WD Finals !!! :):):)

10. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

No lah, no Astro, so boring if see livescore.Even Ah Koo & Ah Tan match also i snooze already

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Did you PAW for Eriko Hirose? I didn't, I thought SN would win. :eek::eek::eek:

12. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

me neither. But she will be playing against Petya tonight, a very good chance for her to reach her first ever SS final!! Like what Tago did last year!

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    PG says :

"Hey Guys, well, tonigh i can’t bring you the best of news. I was up against a very good player tonight. Chen Long played on a very high level and made it very difficult for me. In fact I had a good feeling before the match and really looked forward to the game…However he came on very strong and played with a lot of confidence and power..

I really tried my best to get into the match but every time time I came close he came even stronger back. In the second set I was leading 10-7 and I was on my way into the game but Chen managed to come back and take 6 points in a row. That was the end for me and I was not able to get back at him losing 12-21 12-21..

I had hoped for better today but first of all Chen Long played a great match, secondly I have to keep in mind that my preperations has not been the best. But this is All England and you always want this even more….So I guess I feel a bit down now, but hey..I tried this before - and know what I have to do..

Thank you all for your support during the tournament and I'll be back with an update soon.. By the way, next up for me is the Solibad Exibition on monday in Geneva..Take care.
    "

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Gu Juan has done great to go this far. Can't remember any Singaporean girl doing so well at a prestigious tournament like the AE. Juan's small size could be her disadvantage against the bigger and much more experienced European. But winning 19 points in the second game and 16 points in the first cannot be described as a complete 'blast'. I think in the second game Juan gave back her opponent some of her blasting smashes.

If Juan's performance is considered poor, just look at the 'slaughter' that Boonsak suffered at the hands of LCW. and Boonsak's experience and exposure is far greater than Juan's.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Gu Juan has done really well to have arrived at this AE Quarter-Finals

I thought Gu Juan has done well already, to have arrived at this AE Quarter-Finals (as a qualifier).

Hope to see her doing well again in more tournaments.

16. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    It is good for a change that the Chinese do not dominate the WD and XD's semi-final clash in a super series tournament.;););)

17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

You are misinterpreting ;). By blasting I meant Petya's playing style would overpower her (which doesn't automatically have to mean 10 & 10 score or so) whereas probably the majority of PAWers would have picked Gu ...
    The stats aren't necesarily accurate either with only so few categories on tournamentsoftware and in the previous match there were only smash or "other" points :D

#417 demolidor, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yes at first I thought it was her partner's racket coming in front of her when getting ready to serve. Probably she ran out of rackets and took one of Ropke's ;). Lucky it's doubles then ...
    Was already before the interval in the 2nd set!

#418 demolidor, Mar 11, 2011
  19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Ah now I see what you mean. :D But the way you expressed it (in red highlight) gave a wrong impression. :confused: I take it to mean that Juan will be overwhelmed with smashes, like bomb blasts, and when I checked the stats .... it wasn't really the case.

I agree Petya's playing style is somewhat "rough and tough" and coupled with her bigger size I would have thought it would pose a real threat to Juan's smaller size and reach. But she did not 'overwhelm' Juan who almost caught up in Game 2.

The Stats say (and in the absence of other information I could only rely on this and since I did not watch the match as well):

Score: P (21)[21] -- J (16)[19]
    Smash winner: P (6)[4] 10 -- J (1)[5] 6
    Net winner: P (7)[7] 14 -- J (5)[5] 10
    Clear winner: P (2)[7] 9 -- J (3)[3] 6
    Other: P (6)[3] 9 -- J (7)[6] 13
    Game points: P (1)[2] -- J (0)[0]

( ) Game 1
    [ ] Game 2

In Game 1, Petya must have smashed more and succeeded with 6 winners against Juan's barely one. But in G2, Juan reversed the order with 5 winners against Petya's 4. Judging from this Petya could not have been seen 'blasting' Juan all over as she was 'outblasted' in G2. :D

I thought Juan would play more net shots to compensate for her smaller size against a taller and more powerful Petya, but Petya surprised by winning more net delicate plays (14) than Juan (10). :eek: So Juan has more work to do at the net although I think her smashes must have improved tremendously since the last time I saw her in Singapore.

Perhaps Petya realized in G2 that it would be more effective playing more attacking clears to maximise her inherent assets and it paid dividends when she won 7 points against Juan's 3 only. This probably saved her from having to play the final rubber game as she won by merely 2 points with 2 game points. And another reminder to Juan that she needs to improve much more on her attacking clears. :rolleyes:

It seems that Juan committed less unforced errors and this is a good sign that she is more focuss and steadier, not overwhelmed by her bigger opponent. :p

#419 Loh, Mar 11, 2011
  20. geebees90

geebees90 Regular Member

Student
    This time All England is full of upsets, I'm happy for Marc Zwiebler more than anyone. I believe Lin Dan would win again if he doesn't feel any pressure, I predict that he would win in two easy games against Marc as he would be tired from his matches and may play three games against lee chong wei in the finals.......Good luck Lin Dan, I feel sorry for Peter Gade......