Walkovers @ AE2011

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2011' started by coachgary, Mar 10, 2011.

1. badadum

badadum Regular Member

I would say no since I believe my player's ability is above the rest and it foster healty competition and morale among my players. Then again, I'm not the angry baldy one from china, so what do I know? :p

2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Let's say I agree with you that these WO are setup. So how do you prove CHN WOs are fake to slap on a ban or suspension or penalty? And ban the whole CHN team, really?
    If CHN team is ban, those who pay to watch are really 'partisan' fans....a true baddy fan would want to see the best players play, for me, I couldn't care less if it is WX-WSX in all-CHN final. It is still exciting and first class performance anyway.

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Correct. But the spirit of the game has been completely mangled, desecrated and destroyed. If it is indeed LYB who is responsible, he should be BOOOed every time he shows his face anywhere in the world; made to feel unwelcome. He has worked very hard to deserve it. He gives this game, and his own players, a bad name.

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    shame them man... despicable... bullies and they felt that they can do anything to anyone with their new prosperity. ;) Shame shame... ;)

5. choonie

choonie Regular Member

Graduate Scientist
    I guess you are wrong. I have just visited the Chinese badminton forum and it appeared that quite a big portion of the Chinese people there are not against it.

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Either way, CHN will look bad. Either way, they have thrown their matches

7. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    'Credibility/sportsmanship' to 'winning-is-this-only-thing/$$$' are 2 different things. LYB is paid to win esp the majors, and as long as no BWF rules are broken, so what?
    You and me are sitting on a high chair, easy to critic and scotch free. If your job is on the line, you would really do the right thing? Really?

8. extremenanopowe

Can someone post my link to shame them? ;) That will teach them a lesson. If the leaders can do such a thing and no one can do anything about it, what else is there for the poor people? ;) Dictatorship sucks. ;)

9. ThePlayer

ThePlayer Regular Member

Who has more power on the tournaments, BWF or LYB? I think BWF. If BWF does its job right, LYB can not or need not arrange those WOs. BWF mangled the spirit of the game by setting up those dubious rules.

10. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I don't agree with BWF limiting entries for SS final and for World Championships. I believe the best should go.
    The Olympics is a different story since IOC has the overall say and it maintains its focus on wide participation in every sport, not just badminton.

What rule did BWF change to limit CHN's dominance?

11. choonie

choonie Regular Member

Graduate Scientist
    Agreed. BWF do not know how to play the cards and tell LYB who is the boss in badminton.

12. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    BOO all we want...LYB walks and laughs all the way to the bank...the one way to break this is for players to be independent like tennis players....and as long as LYB is in control, get used to it.

13. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

CHN walkovers? That s normal behaviour! It reinforces the well known fact that CHN sports heads are a bunch of cowards.

1) Why do people think so highly of CHN matches, I don t understand. Most CHN players are grinders and their matches are mostly boring. CHN understands the advantage of walkovers because they win their matches through grinding. To do that well, energy conservation is key. Hence walkovers. Why get angry? Laugh at CBA, the Chicken BA.

2) Do we require CHN players to make a tournament? In Singapore Open, we have very minimal CHN participation for many years and every year, we have great finals and full house crowd and unbelievable matches because players who don t normally get support because they are 'unknown' suddenly found support and they play and give their best ever in their career. I believe Singapore Open is known as the SS of Upsets and it s difficult for any country to do a sweep of titles. If there are no CHN players we will still have a fantastic tournament of fair play and high quality matches. All underdogs can fancy their chances here. Come and enjoy and appreciate world class badminton without CHN walkovers.

3) It s strange this accusation about BWF rigging draws. First read and understand the rules of the draw. The only guarantee that a country will have its players in different halves is when it sends only TWO representatives and they must be ranked the top 2, WR1 and WR2. When CHN has 6 or 7 (ie 20+% of total) representatives per event, it increases the chances of CHN /CHN matches and also CHN s chances of winning titles. And certainly, I m sure BWF did not order WYH to get injured so there won t be an all CHN WS final.

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Necessity has nothing to do with it. It's just a character flaw. Its called "arrogance." The problem, the system has no real measures against it. There are no pre-emptive or punitive measures in place to deal with such things, even though BWF knows it should fully expect it to happen. BWF doesn't have the strength or will to deal with it.

15. badadum

badadum Regular Member

I already throw my 2c on that issue several posts above. Contrary to what you believe, doing the right thing is not as uncommon as you might think. Take a look at Mclaren on F1. Unlike the pussies in Ferrari, their driver will duke it out without any "team order" interference.

16. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    That has been voiced out by many people in CHN who feel CHN does not need to manipulate to win as CHN has plenty of power to win. Just look at CHN WS lineup. Any of CHN top 5 players is a handful for the rest of the world.

17. extremenanopowe

2 words. Professionalism and Freedom. Hope for the world. ;)

18. choonie

choonie Regular Member

Graduate Scientist
    And it looks dirty when they come with WOs.

19. badadum

badadum Regular Member

Oh they have the means allright...the will is another thing.

20. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Does BWF have the obligation (or do they even have the right) to re-draw after the withdrawals? Other events have withdrawals as well. If they re-draw WS but not other events, then others can say they have a hidden agenda to help CHN as well. Gotta be consistent.

Agree with you on the latter part. As much as the setups suck, they are within the rules and you can't really prove anything anyway. People are here to win, not to play pretty.