Can't beat a player

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Blisse, Mar 2, 2011.

1. cliffordgooi

cliffordgooi Regular Member

Accountant
    That is the right kind of spirit!

I have come home many times feeling disappointed with my game, but i never gave up. It's all about practicising and more practising. Eventually with a little bit more of confidence, better physic, some experience, ability to execute shots w/o feeling uncomfortable - you should come out on top :) good luck!

2. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    Blisse,

I have been in your shoes many times & I can understand what you are feeling. Even I have lost to weired players whom I thought much inferior. But the truth is, There are a few players who did not have formal coaching-But they have it in their blood & they have been playing for some time. Seeing their style, we are fooled many times and complacency creep in. We either play a lazy game or make too many mistakes. Another problem is, we try to play winners before actually setting it up-which can work against us. A few tips to help you...

1. Do not set any target. Don't pressure yourself saying that “he is not good & I have to beat him under 10"

2. Do not panic. If he scores a few points up front-let it be. You have enough time to catch up. Even after missing a rally, think only about the next one and give due importance to every rally.Do not try to end the rally prematurely. Build your rally and then play a winning shot. Play a net tumble or drive to back hand, get a weak reply and then smash. Instead, you should not start with a smash return to a deep high serve-that may work against you.

3. Gain some confidence early in the game. Apply percentage play (Play only those shots which you consider safe early in the rally-For e.g., an attacking clear to the back hand, drives and pushes are relatively safe compared to tight net return or tight slow drop from extreme back are un safe) Also keep a good margin for error. As you build confidence, you can attempt to kiss the lines.

"Treat every oponent, every match, every game, every rally and every shot with due respect"

Enjoy your games and come victorious.
    NP

#22 nprince, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Good one. If malaysianfreak can do it, so can u. ;)

4. kohminkiat

kohminkiat Regular Member

Badminton
    Some singles player could have a ugly display on court, but somehow they can beat those players who seems better. MAS ex-national Foo Kok Keong was one of them. He did not hav a smooth footwork, and I would say his overall movement on court wasn't a good thing to watch, but hey...he had beaten many top players. I guess for u, u will just have to RELAX when playing against him.

5. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

I think you should play a more relaxed and less forceful style of play. Going for "perfect shots" will only put you under more pressure than
    you need to be and as far as I can tell (from what you said) he is not putting you under pressure because he is playing a more reactionary game.

I've had to deal with this kind of player before, infact he is a good friend of mine; he swings his arms, his footwork is backwards
    and all over the place, and he cannot do a full-court clear but yet...despite all this, we've had some close games in the past...our games are
    no longer close however, I've adjusted my playing style, realizing I don't need to hit "perfect shots" to beat him, infact, I can hit mediocore shots
    and still beat him.

Good luck

6. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Frankly, I think it's ridiculous to criticise someone so harshly if they're consistently beating you. You may have better technique and form (or so you think) but they are obviously doing something right. I am inclined to say that your technique probably isn't as great as you think it is; it's very easy to think you look great on court but when you see yourself on video, it is often quite a surprise to see how bad you look. Of course, the same thing applies to everyone in this sense.

The first hurdle to overcome is a mental one, in fact, it is two mental hurdles. Firstly, you think you're in a completely different league in terms of badminton ability to this person. This is a bad place to be. By going in to a match with that mindset you are setting yourself up for defeat because subconsciously, you will become complacent when you're winning and consciously, very frustrated when you're losing. You shouldn't have an opinion on the outcome of the match before you've played it. It's fine to have strategies and to know how to beat someone but it's never a forgone conclusion that your plans will actually happen in the way you visualise them.

Secondly, this person has beaten you quite a few times now. Having a losing streak is never good, especially when it's only to one individual. You have to go in with confidence and play to win. Even if you don't think he's inside your head at the moment, when you're serving at match point, I'm sure he will be then. Play to win but don't be arrogant or too confident. Treat your match with him as you would any other and treat each point like any other.

Actually, perhaps there is a third mental barrier you need to break down... Yes, I think there might be. If you say he can run everything down, there's probably a good chance that you're not being patient enough. With players like this, you have to develop the point carefully and not try to hit a winner off the third shot. He sounds weak from the rearcourt so you could try pinning him at the back for a few shots then bringing him in before sending him to the back again. You'll tire him out pretty quickly and probably get a lot of free points from picking off easy shots or from his mistakes.

As has been pointed out already, when playing someone weaker than yourself it is important to be consistent. You'll probably be able to win the match with pretty much consistency alone as long as you use it instead of making unforced errors. All of your basic shots should be automatic, there's no reason for making loads of errors on shots that really aren't that difficult. If you're under a lot of pressure and you've got to hit a difficult shot, it's understandable if you miss but simple clears should be going in 98 out of 100 times.

Finally, don't beat yourself up if you make a mistake, just play the next point. If you're too hard on yourself after making an error, it's very easy to become really negative about your badminton. This will make you less motivated and damage your concentration.

Hope I've helped and best of luck for your next match.

7. Blisse

Blisse Regular Member

Student
    I'm totally serious when I say that's how he looks, and I know my form isn't good. I've played my coach, and I know he isn't amazing, because I do drills with him, but I understand what you're saying.

I'll go into my next match against him with everything in mind, but I just feel there's something wrong if I can't even beat him once. I have 2 weeks to change my outlook of him, and myself.

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Borrow someones camera and video it. This will solve it once and for all. ;) Oh, youtube takes only 10mins shot, so, please break them into small parts. ;)

9. Blisse

Blisse Regular Member

Student
    Err I wonder why we can't edit.

It should read: "...that's how he looks, and I know my form isn't good, I've played my coach. I know...

10. ksrboi

ksrboi Regular Member

Lawyer
    You should quit playing badminton. Stubborn people that go on mocking other people and losing to said people shouldn't be playing in the first place. I'd suggest first take a good look at yourself, you're judging others because he simply has bad form? Some people don't have the money or facilities to go get trained by coaches or enter clubs. Shame on you. Next you go on a site, asking others to help you beat someone that you can't beat yourself? Look at yourself again, it's pretty pitiful. "My form is solid." If your form or technique was solid you can go put up a fight against lin dan or lee chong wei, don't say such ignorant things. I've gotten angrier and angrier as I read this. Go work on your training, that's the only thing that won't let you down. If you lose, go train more. Don't be such a child and go saying you're so good when you have to go rant to some people about how you're losing to someone. Maybe mature a little more before entering a sport. You're clearly too immature.

11. amirx2

amirx2 Regular Member

Chemist
    yes. dont think u r damn good, he should lose to u. never ever. that is totally no good. do not underestimate ur opponents. never. stop labelling ur self and others. just concentrate on ur training. what u give, u get back. plus, it's normal. sometime u win, sometime u lose. accept it. be mature.

12. Blisse

Blisse Regular Member

Student
    Bite me. Next time I go asking for advice, don't go telling me I should quit the game. Where did I say I was so good. Thanks. You should quit living. Don't go giving advice when you're clearly terrible at it. Thanks again.

Let me tear apart your argument.

You should quit playing badminton.
    What kind of advice is this in any situation at all?

Stubborn people that go on mocking other people and losing to said people shouldn't be playing in the first place.
    What does the attitude of a person off the court has anything to do on the court.

I'd suggest first take a good look at yourself, you're judging others because he simply has bad form?
    First, nice sentence. Oops I mean fragment. Second, er, I train by asking people better than me. Is there a problem with that? Also, I've earned my money by working hard to get ahead, and getting a job.

Shame on you.
    No, shame on you for thinking you know anything about me.

Next you go on a site, asking others to help you beat someone that you can't beat yourself?
    That's kind of the purpose of asking for advice, isn't it?

Look at yourself again, it's pretty pitiful. "My form is solid." If your form or technique was solid you can go put up a fight against lin dan or lee chong wei, don't say such ignorant things.
    Er, what? Solid means solid, not good and certainly not exceptional, like theirs. Ignorant things? So I'm to describe my form as terrible, then ask how I can beat him, because apparently I don't know to win besides improving my form. I'm kind of asking for what else I can do, if you haven't noticed.

I've gotten angrier and angrier as I read this.
    I'm angry that I can't beat him.

Go work on your training, that's the only thing that won't let you down.
    I am training... what are you even talking about. Of course I know that training more would be beneficial no matter what I need to improve. But that's not what I'm asking for.

Don't be such a child and go saying you're so good when you have to go rant to some people about how you're losing to someone.
    Again, I've never said I was good at any time. Are you mad? Here, I suck. I need to train more, and I am, but I'm still losing.

Maybe mature a little more before entering a sport. You're clearly too immature.
    So you're telling me to never do anything because I'm immature. Because I can't theoretically change my terrible attitude and maybe learn some things, like I'm asking right now, that may change this terrible attitude.

You see? THAT is being immature. Why did you even bother to post that other than to get a response like this. If I wanted to brag, I would've made a threat titled "look at me." I'm not trying to be an a** or anything. I just hate it when I want advice and someone decides maybe it would be a good idea to call me rude and ignorant for asking for advice, while treating me like a pile of c**p.

I'm only annoyed that I can't win at all. D:
    And this isn't like over one day, it's been over three weeks now. And I've been training as much as I can realistically (exams week).
    I wish I could win just once.

I'm sorry, if you feel that I'm being arrogant. I would tone my original post down for you so you'll stop being angry, but there's no edit button available.

The process of asking for advice implies that I've accepted that I have a problem and exhausted all my available resources. It also means that I'm probably terrible as well, to ask for advice instead of continually training. What I'm not willing to accept however, is that I'm so terrible that I cannot beat him, even once. Nor am I going to accept that he's better until I've tried every single thing in my power to improve and beat him, including asking for advice. I hope you understand.

#32 Blisse, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  13. alexh

alexh Regular Member

This seems a bit too harsh.

Sometimes you really do know that your technique is better than someone else's--and there's nothing to be gained by being polite and pretending that it's not the case. Of course without a video we don't have enough information to pass judgement on the OP here. But why not take his words at face value and see if we can have a constructive discussion about it?

The main point of this thread is that technique alone isn't enough to win a badminton match, there's a mental game to be played too. I think it's an interesting topic for conversation, if we can keep the personal insults out of it.

14. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    I also did not like KSRBOI's coments. That is not not what you tell a person who is seeking to improve. At the same time, great advice from Danstevens-To me, it looks comprehensive.
    NP

#34 nprince, Mar 5, 2011
  15. Blisse

Blisse Regular Member

Student
    Yeah I really appreciated reading Dansteven's advice after Ksrboi's. I'm just sad I can't put it to any good use for a couple of weeks. I will try my best not to let it go to waste.

I actually want to see myself on video now.

#35 Blisse, Mar 5, 2011
  16. amirx2

amirx2 Regular Member

Chemist
    Blisse, all the best! just give ur best shot, win-lose is the 2nd factor. dont feel bad if u lose. u should proud with urself and ur effort! =) but if win, that's great!

17. ksrboi

ksrboi Regular Member

Lawyer
    "You should quit playing badminton."
    It's not advice. It's a statement.

Err isn't a word by the way.

"What does the attitude of a person off the court has anything to do on the court. "
    First, nice sentence. Oops, I mean fragment. Second, it has plenty to do with what a player does on court. A persons personality off court CAN determine how a player plays on court. It can, but not always.

Like I said earlier, some people don't have the money to go train or don't have the facilities available to get better. Seems like you totally ignored that part. Kudos on having a job and getting ahead in life, but alas I didn't talk about your financial situation now did I?

I don't know anything about you. A person can only judge solely based on what he sees if he doesn't know anything else. People will be quick to judge if they feel like something is wrong.

"Solid means solid." - Well, that's the best damn definition of a word that I've ever heard. But solid in most cases referring to hard work or exercise is to being reliable, strong, or stable. In which case, it would mean good or exceptional.

You're not asking for training yes, you were asking for advice. "Go work on your training, that's the only thing that won't let you down." That's about one of the only positive things I said from that whole previous statement. Yet, the one positive you still tried to take it negatively. Read between the lines. Go work on your training = You might be training now, but you can always train harder? Run, improve your stamina. Lift weights, increase your muscles and toning. Stretch, improve your flexibility.

Clearly you don't read properly. When did I tell you never to do anything because you're immature? Don't cry. I said "Maybe mature a little more before entering a sport. You're clearly too immature." I still don't see where I said to you, "HEY STOP DOING ANYTHING BECAUSE YOU'RE IMMATURE." Enough said. I apologize for being harsh.

18. Blisse

Blisse Regular Member

Student
    I asked a mod to delete my comment already; I guess they haven't yet.

Grow up.

You should quit playing badminton. Stubborn people that go on mocking other people and losing to said people shouldn't be playing in the first place...Maybe mature a little more before entering a sport. You're clearly too immature.

I don't even know why I even bother responding to people like you. Clearly you're never going to say anything positive, so please get out of my thread. You responded because you wanted me to flame you further. Guess who needs to mature a little more. I put the obviously errors in just to see whether or not you would respond. Then I realized the entire response was pointless as it was not relevant at all to my situation.

#38 Blisse, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  19. devaaaa

devaaaa Regular Member

Now we have worked on Blisse's attitude on court it seems appropriate to improve ksrboi's attitude off court. Though Blisse was ahead in the first place, he realised he had a problem at all. ksrboi's approach is very destructive and not helping at all >:|.

20. Blisse

Blisse Regular Member

Student
    Well I don't know if my attitude on court will improve; it's one thing to know what I'm supposed to do and another to actually do it. Though I thank everyone for reminding me of what proper behaviour should be, I can only respond with the results of our next match, and even then it might not be all that great, because even if I win, there's a chance I still carry this negative attitude. I will next post in this thread with the results of that thread and, more importantly, my attitude of the game during the match.

I can only marvel at the top level players like Lin Dan, who gets faulted for double motion, to come back and do the exact same serve perfectly, and play the next point at the best of his abilities. I feel they're somehow able to channel their emotions and use it to improve their game; something that hasn't worked for me in badminton.