Taufik Hidayat vs Simon Santoso in Malaysia Open 2011

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2011' started by Loh, Feb 1, 2011.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Taufik is moving too slow to be a good Doubles player

Enjoyed it. Thanks cobalt. :):):)

IMHO, TH is moving too slow to be a good Doubles player. :p:p:p

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    INA's MS Ranking

The latest BWF ranking of INA's most promising MS players:

02. TH
    13. SS
    18. Alamsyah
    21. Hayom
    30. SDK
    34. Tommy
    47. Andre Tedjono

Compare the above with CHN's:

03. LD
    05. CL
    06. CJ
    09. BCL
    10. Du Peng Yu
    22. Wang Zhengming

It would seem very difficult for INA to overhaul CHN in ensuring 3 MS players for LOG 2012 (London Olympics Games).

I assume that to qualify for 3 representatives, these players must be in the top 10 (?), which CHN currently has 5 and INA barely one! Mind you, CHN also has the luxury of giving walkovers to team members to ensure they remain high in WR and qualify for 3 representatives at LOG. Especially for LD to make it to WR2 at least so that he can avoid meeting LCW in the same half. CHN's strategists will be working hard on this. :rolleyes:

SS has to continue to perform well in this year's Super Series tourneys. He is doing well now and I think he is No. 2 in SS tourneys behind LCW.

As for the unlucky SDK, he is now even behind Alamsyah and Hayom. It will be very difficult for him to catch up if he is still in recovery mode. So the once Olympic bronze medalist may miss LOG this time.

The Olympics qualifying rules can be found here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/badminton/8855544.stm

#62 Loh, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I am hoping that SDK can make a comeback

I have a gut feeling that there will be 3 Mens Singles from CHN at the coming 2012 London Olympic Games.

From the link;

Nations can enter a maximum of three players into each singles event, and at most two pairs into each doubles event.

Qualification rests on where players stand in the Badminton World Federation (BWF) rankings list when it is published on 3 May 2012. The rankings take into account all performances between 2 May 2011 and 29 April 2012.

We should be expecting many CHN players participating in more tournaments from 02-May-2011 to 29-Apr-2012. This is good news for us Badminton fans.

BTW, I am hoping that SDK can make a comeback; free from injury.

4. wilcan

wilcan Regular Member

student
    One country can send 3 players in single if they have 3 players in top 4
    It's very hard for others to send 3 players, china has the biggest chance to do it ATM

I would say china will try to send 3 players, but not trying to get LD in #2, maybe they want LD to meet LCW earlier to elliminate LCW so china can sweep all the medal.. Haha just my oppinion, i still hope MS gold will go for LCW or INA MS

#64 wilcan, Feb 5, 2011
  5. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Chen Jin under normal circumstances wouldn't have qualified for Beijing. Which granted was a bit rough... considering he eventually won bronze. But thanks to some unconvincing wins in certain tournaments he made it into that super harsh cut off point. That's one of the things I hate about the Olympic qualifying period. You have even more reason to be skeptical about any same-country match's authenticity. As for Taufik/Simon. Send those two, unless something drastically changes in the next year (which can happen obviously). A third is really completely out of the question (poor Sony :().

#65 phaarix, Feb 5, 2011
  6. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

No no i meant he was on the last beijing OG, I dont think he will play in London OG

#66 Yoppy, Feb 5, 2011
  7. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

a bit confuse, so a country can send 3 MS if they are all in top 10 ranking or in top 4 ranking???

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think wilcan is right to remind it should be Top 4, and not Top 10. I wasn't too sure.

It has to be strict so that other players will have a chance at the Olympics.

But this will make is harder for INA to challenge CHN when the latter will not find it easy to have 3 MS in the top 4 this time, unlike in Beijing.

It is only natural to expect LCW, TH and PG to fight hard to main their high ranking and this will starve out the challenge from CHN.

Although the official BWF qualifying period is from May for about a year, it may not be easy for other aspirants to break into the ranks. It will take an immense effort from SDK to unseat SS or TH, unless he does so well that PBSI chooses him in place of independent TH.
    This will create a furore in INA badminton if TH is unjustly sidelined. :rolleyes:

9. wilcan

wilcan Regular Member

student
    Can send 3players if have 3players in top4

10. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Yes, all 3 players qualify only if they are all in the top 4 spots. However, there's a rumour going that says that the MS/WS max. allocations for each NOC will be down to 2. This is to promote the sport and encourage more NOCs to participate in event. Not sure if this is true.

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It is good to know the 2nd best nation for each event as represented on the podium

Hope that this is true. :):):)

IMHO, it is good to know the 2nd best nation for an event as represented on the podium. The best is when we find 3 different nations represented on the podium.

This is especially true when Badminton is still regarded as a team sport.

OTOH, in the future when Badminton is promoted as a sport for individual players, then perhaps having 3 different players from a same country on the podium would not be frowned upon.
    :):):)

12. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

If only 1 player is in the top 4, then how many MS can INA send? How about another possible scenario, 3 players in the top 10??

13. benjamin59

benjamin59 Regular Member

technician
    If SS continue to be injury free and more match play he will overcome TH soon. SS was really giving LD something to think about during the KO while TH didn't really trouble LD. If you have seen the KO QF between TH/LD live on TV you could clearly see LD wasn't paying attention during the 2nd set. Even the commentators were saying that LD was eyeing the match bet PG/SS in the next court.

14. wilcan

wilcan Regular Member

student
    agree with the bold text

15. wilcan

wilcan Regular Member

student
    can send 3 players if have 3 players in top 4
    can send 2 players if have 2 players in top 16

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I guess INA can send only 2 max if only one is in top 4. The other player must qualify and it is up to INA to choose who to represent the country. (Now wilcan says he must be in top 16, unless the rules are changed.)

A delicate issue would be to leave TH out if the other two players also qualify for LOG, worse assuming TH and SS are in top 4. Can PBSI make such a decision? Theoretically yes. :confused:

#76 Loh, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  17. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

i dont mind having badminton promoted as an individual sport but the olympics is perhaps the most team focused tournament for ALL sports where you dont play for yourself but for your country

3 from top 4 is already a tough task even for China... lowering it to two would just be a single attack against China

i much rather allow all top tier players play with a guaranteed entry per country

selecting who to send for WS is gonna be sad...

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

All interested nations to be present

For me, the Olympics in sports is like the United Nations in politics (to get all nations involved).

Therefore, at the UN, we are offering (remembering that there is limited room for the number of people present);
    * One seat per interested nation
    * All interested nations to be present

For the Olympics, I would guess that there would be around 64 nations interested to participate in Badminton. Therefore it is my hope that we can have;
    * One player per interested nation
    * All interested nations to be present

What I have suggested would not be well received by stronger nations. But my suggestion could be most welcomed by weaker nations wishing to participate in Badminton.
    :):):)

#78 chris-ccc, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hopefully we can call it the "Champion of Champions Badminton Summit".

20. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I see. In that case assuming TH, SS and another PBSI player (SDK or Hayom) is in the top 16, PBSI will a choice of only 2 players to send. I have a feeling that TH will miss out on this.