Lin Dan walkover in MO

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2011' started by xymaerts, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

If you have a profession, shouldn't you be passionate and repect your job??

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    A fine Example!!

NOTE: This post is in continuation of the assumption made by most here, that there is more than just an "injury" to the continuing saga of LD walkovers, as well as other CBA players in the recent past -- especially against their own players.

What actually sickens me is that some BCers are condoning this tactic being used by LYB or CBA or whoever it is. This is the example some of us would like to set to our younger generation: "Its all right, if you can get away with it, and make more money. There is nothing like honour. There is only glory." Why? "Because it is the fault of BWF; if they cannot do something to stop this from happening, too bad, it will happen. If not LYB, then someone else will do it. So why not LYB?" Its like saying, if someone does not stop you, go ahead, do something wrong. But guess what: only LYB or whoever did it; no one else did it!

There was this woman who used to beg for money on a street corner in the busiest part of downtown Toronto, claiming she was physically disabled. Many years later, a TV crew followed her one day on a tip-off, to discover that she had no disability, and that she now owned a couple of houses from the money she made by swindling and cheating the public. The expose drove her away from her "profession," but the legal system could not punish her. Did this make it all right? What about all the money she took from so many people through "unfair and calculatedly incorrect representation" of her condition?

I don't know about LYB or his bosses or the entire agenda of those people and how desperate they are to prove to the world that they are the greatest on earth, but let me talk for a minute about Lin Dan.

If this was all a carefully constructed event: and even the doctor was somehow made to be convinced of the "injury" then I have no respect for the player. He is after all, an icon of the game. Millions of young people all over Asia look up to him as a role model in many ways. What message has he just sent out to all these young people? "It's OK if you can get away with it."

I would have expected an icon of the game to tell his people they can go shove it. But if this was a carefully constructed event, the icon has shown he has feet of clay. Just another mindless puppet.

3. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Thats why i said LD legacy will be: arguably the best ever player in history bowing to a team manager to loose matches or concede WO

4. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer

5. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

i seriously dont get why so many people bitch about LYB, the guy has a job to do and it is to bring as many medals for China as possible, and despite all your claims that his tactics is bad for badminton worldwide, badminton in China has grown tremendously since he took over

does he need to resort to such tactics? not necessarily but those tactics give his team the biggest chance to attain its goals and so far it seems to work pretty well

LD owes everything he has to the national team and his coaches and not following their plan (as almost a bunch of guys suggested) can be viewed as disloyal, unpatriotic and selfish

oh and calling him a cheater because he concedes... (this makes absolutely no sense) i dont think you need to resort to cheating to lose a game

the guy is arrogant, bad mannered at times and egocentric but he is the greatest MS player to have played the sport

and for you Malaysians I really dont get what you want... you complain when the Chinese dont come to the MO (which is mainly why this SS has dropped in importance) then you complain when they issue 2 W/Os (which could actually be injury related)

look 12 out of 16 finalists are Chinese, they probably gave all the fans the best badminton they've seen @ the MO since 2007 so while we are all disappointed in not seeing a LD/LCW showdown, people should stop expecting one every time they play in the same tournament

the qualifying period for London is coming soon, we'll be guaranteed a hardworking LD for at least 10 tournaments ^^

6. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Well it's about China because it's the way they are behaving. Introducing more regulations is not going solve anything. Long term if the sport of Badminton wants to evolve it will have to become a professional sport played by professionals. As the second most played game in the world badminton should be able to stand on it's own as a sport in the free market. Right now there is too much money being poured into the game by governments and very little of it is getting to the players. Consider Malayasia, one thing that struck me as I read about the current circus going on there is the number of coaches and adminstrators sighted in the news articles I was reading. At one point I joked to myself that team Malyasia appeared to have more staff than players on the payroll. You can bet Lin Dan wouldn't be so quick to WO if his pay cheque was comming from prize money or sponsorships like it does for real professional athletes. Could you imagine him trying to explain to his sponsor why he was a no show so often? Does Li Ning produce hiking boots?

7. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    How to prove that...I mean gifting.

8. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

You are making the mistake of thinking this is about Lin Dan at the MO or 2011. It's not, it is about a pattern of behaviour that has repeated its self over and over.

#88 thunder.tw, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  9. kingzzz

kingzzz Regular Member

The ban on team orders in F1 has been lifted and is now allowed.

10. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

That's the case. And thanks for point it out...

Here there are too many people like to play extreme justice when things are not going there way or benefit, and forgot "selfish" is a kind of human nature that they themselves also possess. People call these "hypocrites".

Rules and laws are set up to balance the selfishness amongst all mankind, not to totally diminish selfishness.

Capitalism are established based on the recognition of selfishness, freedom & liberty are pursed to protect selfishness, the creation of Communist was claimed to be able to remove selfishness. Now I see a lot of Communism purist (or even facist) badminton fans here.

So why not just look forward and enjoy the games ongoing on-hand, if we really love badminton but not LD, LCW, and who-so-ever? As long as no one use a gun to win game on court... :D

#90 Jonc108, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  11. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

1. Economic growth has nothing to do with badminton becoming popular in China, people can decide to play whichever sport they want. LYB has contributed in increasing the sports visibility and most importantly by making the team perform well (no one is interested in a sport where your country continuously lose).

2. Your statement still makes no sense. Cheating and doping are ways to make you win. As far as I am concerned if LD doesnt feel like playing or is unable is irrelevant to me because he lost. I wish he played but in the end it is his decision. And it cant be called cheating if there is no rule against it.

3. LD has been on the national team for over a decade and he is a much better played now than he was before due to the training he received from the team and his coaches (and everyone knows how important they are to his success)

4. LD is certainly talented but so is Gade, Taufik, even Bonsaak. LD has won every major and some on several occasions in the modern era. the second one who is close is Taufik (Frost too) and that is another player that I have great respect for but he is still short 1 (and he knows it).

5. He is listening to his coach and team to help youngsters gain more experience to prepare them for the future. Not asked to slaughter innocents. Find more appropriate comparison such as the F1 team orders.

6. I dont care if it's injury or not, no one can know for certain. the BWF could always restrict country representatives to 2-3 like in majors but i dont think any country would agree to this. The depth of the Chinese team allows for such scenarios to happen and no one will ever allow your home players to fight each other to death to eventually give the title to someone else.

12. pralinescream

pralinescream Regular Member

why everybody is assuming that Super Dan is not really injured?
    the tournament referee had accepted the decision based on tournament doctor's medical advice.
    ;)
    all of us shld feel sad for him and pray for his quick recovery.

13. steplee

steplee Regular Member

great post......

14. sen

sen Regular Member

Many audiences are upset to see walkovers, that's why there are so many angry comments.

The fact is that many of the Chinese walkovers happened when they played against own countrymen/women

Of course nobody can prove that all or some of them are not really injured

But even if they are forced to play and purposely lose in order to achieve other 'goals', what can the audiences do? So can't blame the officials/referee.

Tactics/strategies often make the sports more interesting. Whatever tactics are used and no matter how small the chances of upset, sometimes the underdogs still win.

15. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Giving 3 straight WOs can be consider as it. This will at least force LD to play but play badly and lose

16. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

For me, I would rather LD give a WO than waste ~40 minutes of my life. AE'08 anyone?

17. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

You still remember that dont you, im sure the players also did. To give a 40mins of public acting can be a torture, so since they want to plot something why dont we record it as an evidence or perhaps sending the tape to "American funniest video" contest so at least we all can have a laugh about it.

18. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    what goes around comes around. Can be seen in other earlier tournaments. ;) He will not be the greatest in many minds. My guess is everyone will have their own pick. His older generations are more supportive. Non of them got so much dissapointment for their fans. ;) True professionals. ;)

19. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I hope Im not gonna spend any more in this thread as we all know what LYB and CHN team is doing. Its all up to us individually to judge if its right or wrong. For me its sad to see a suposedly a badminton hero like LD to act like that. He should not go to any tournament such as MO if he knew there is a chance of him walking out. Im asking myself what happens if LD refuses to go??

20. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    The hunt continues.

DLCW will just have to wait for the CBL