Lin Dan walkover in MO

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2011' started by xymaerts, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

You got me all wrong. I just wanted to point out that there "seem" to be two different approaches by the "two best" players of the world. "Both" are very successful. LD with playing less, LCW with playing more.

Like I said before: I don't think that "changing the strategies" would automatically work for them.

LD doesn't seem to be able to be engaged with winning a lot of tournaments. LCW however is capable of playing and winning a lot of tournaments, but doesn't seem to be able to compete with LD at the really big events.

As you can see: pros and cons for each strategy. Still they are the most successful players in Badminton for the last couple of years.

#61 Ton-Min-Bad, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  2. nellute

nellute Regular Member

diarrhoea cannot be faked technically. If the doctor is serious to check for diarrhoea, get some sample of the poo from the body tells everything.

3. Maximum

Maximum Regular Member

student
    we are lucky to have such players to play for us. otherwise we wont have anything to discuss here anymore besides their games and not debate about w/o

4. nellute

nellute Regular Member

I have no issue with LD playing less tournaments. Finding excuses to withdraw in the middle of the tournament is simply ungraceful.

IMHO, LD (or the bosses) chose to withdraw if he (they) finds his condition is not good enough to win, he will just quit.

5. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

^LD doesn't do so at the big events.

If he does so at other tournaments, he also clearly misses out an experience. The experience of competing and fighting your way through, even if you're not 100% fit.

6. jamex316

jamex316 Regular Member

Still going back to a previous statement, the doctor did confirm LD had injury which inhibits him from proceeding, so its not just like LD saying so, its approved by a doctor.

Also, the back injury is not a surprise cause if anyone watched the finals in the asian games, you'd know when LD won and took his shirt off, he had heavy strapping around his waist and back.

Its like some commentators criticising LD for deliberately breaking the rhythem of the game by cutting the strings in his racquet after the strings broke, I just saw a game with Taufik doing the same and that same commentator did not mention a thing...hmm.... And same applies to many other criticisms that revolve around LD. Come on, he is the best player in the world, just because you say he has it easy by not playing as many tournaments, doesn't mean that he can get off the hell'ish training that he goes through to make the player that he is. Not matter how gifted a person is, hard work is still the major factor.

How much time does a player spend playing matches in a ss or major competition?? These players are professionals, I'm sure their training time in one day would easy outweigh the time they spend playing a game.

#66 jamex316, Jan 22, 2011
  7. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    If I made it sound I am defending LD in WO, then it is not, cos there is no justification for WO. If I am a spectator, I would be really pissed and demand a refund plus air ticket back to Canada. Anticipating a LD-LCW showdown and turn out to be a WO, it is like a balloon deflating after it was blown up and ready for takeoff. I admit I felt the same as you that LD is faking but if BWF approved and the malaysian doc okayed, what more to say and that is my whole point. It is unlike previous WO or LD throwing a game for CJ to win, that there is no doc and no official BWF approval for WO.

8. steplee

steplee Regular Member

This should give a clear lesson to LYB to learn how to keep his mouth shut as you can see the consuquences why the BWF wanna keep on implement some new rules time after time to counter all the possible fake just like what LD did in MO. LYB should look into his management first before yield and complaint on BWF implementations. this we called it a payback and should no argument raise by LYB.

9. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Unfortunately, there are white and black in professional badminton, not the social badminton I play with my friends where we are so 'kiasu' (hate to lose) and even resorted to cheating a line call to win a game. White is fair play, sportsmanship and give your 100%, respect the fans that pay to see the game (without the paying fans, there will be no game to play), are pure whites and I am all for it. You join in 2008, you have not seen the previous post exchange we have with someone that no longer post in this forum on this very topic on WO and match fixing. Black is where LYB is complete control issuing team order and match fixing which he openly admitted in CHN TV, winning at all cost and winning is the only thing that matters, screw all this sportsmanship thingie.

10. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    What if LD did not give WO and he played the game against CL but choose to throw/gift the QF win to CL like he gifted the AE crown to CJ, so what would you suggest BWF should do about that? Gifting is a far more occurrence than WO, and frequent instrument of LYB.
    So, instead of WO to CL, say LD played and gifted the game to CL, then said, he lost because of injury, but he 'bravely' played on, then so what?

#70 OneToughBirdie, Jan 22, 2011
  11. steplee

steplee Regular Member

Gifted and WO are totally two diffeernt thing, although both may have the cetain possiblities to be fake. Bygifted the game to others at least may still pinch the lose reult the their records, and if this has happen to player like LD, he probably would not have the shine records and history that he have today, or perhaps may not reached the achivement that he achived today.

12. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Agree, it is a cyclical thingie, as proven in the past, except currently besides CHN which appears to have a succession plan in place, MAS after LCW, DEN after 35 years old PG, KOR and even INA do not have a superstar in waiting.

13. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

So you're proposing that one method of cheating makes the other one a lesser evil? I don't get your point. The point is, as long as this stuff goes on in the game of badminton on a routine basis the game of badminton deserves not to be taken seriously as a sport.

One cannot help but contrast this to the sport of tennis. How many times have you seen Tennis players battle through obvious injury or fight through 5 set matches that last for 4 hours. Now compare this to a WO granted because of a tummy ache pphhttt.

Also, the idea that Lin Dan is a candidate for greatest ever is a joke. He may be one of the most talented players ever but nothing he has done merits the mantle of greatness. Federer is great because he took on all comers any time, any place and any surface whether ideal or not. Federer is great because at no time was he ever content to sit at number 5 in the world. Lin Dan's career is a mockery of what it means to be a professional athlete. He is nothing more than a state sponsored amateur.

#73 thunder.tw, Jan 22, 2011
  14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    excellent post, thunder.tw :)

15. oonyz

oonyz Regular Member

Reply !!

One solution to that will be to limit the number of players per country to 3 men's singles players per country for each super series tournament,premier super series and the major events like Olympics, Asian Games,World Championships.That way the chances of a player meeting a player from the same country is less likely to happen.

There is a possibility that they might meet but if they are required to play in at least 10 tournaments per season what are the chances of them meeting in all 10 tournaments?

Another factor you might want to consider is that,for example....if you are LCW and you reach the semifinals of a tournament,the other quaterfinal matchup is between CHN vs CHN.Yes, the negative part is China can choose to WO, give younger players more match playing experience and so forth.But would they do that in major tournaments,I don't think so.

On the other hand, it would also be a loss for CHN if they meet their fellow countryman as if a chinese player meets another chinese player that would eliminate the potential of LCW facing 2 or 3 chinese players consecutively before he wins a tournament.Sometimes

I pity LCW because of the fact he has to face all opponents on his own without help from fellow teammates(other Malaysian singles players are to incompetent at the moment) as opposed to players from CHN( who receive help from LYB) and fellow team members(LD,CJ,BCL,DPY,CL,WZM).

This is one of the reason why I have to salute LCW,PG,TH. China rely on many players working together to ensure glory for their country whereelse players like LCW,TH,PG don't receive this luxury.

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Surely some people in BC could feel qualified to answer my questions? :confused::confused::confused:

#76 cobalt, Jan 22, 2011
  17. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Any doc in BC, please help Cobalt? Unfortunately, biology is not my thingie, I only pay attention in biology class when the teacher talked about 'reproduction'...LOL:D:p

18. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

From what i can smeel, LYB starting to realise BWF may drop a heavy sanction if LD misses too many tournament. So he changed tactic, why not send LD out but opt for WO everytime he meets another CHN player? This way it will be harder for BWF to do anything about it.

Its so hard for me to talk negatively, but you see, this is so obvious. The rule is being manipulated.

This morning I ask my doctor friend about it, and he said that in sport its very much in the hand of player whether he/she thinks can continue or not. So although the doctor may have a different opinion about the health condition, it is the player who decide whether he/she can continue or not.

19. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

You'll never know OTB, the likes of TH and PG were a shooting star which means they are suddendly appear out of nowhere. Perhaps ATM out of the radar, a 15 yrs old boy in Kuching or Central Java is making his way to become the next world champ.

20. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

How about another example of pecking order in sport, in formula one race they will get penalty if one driver makes way for a team mate. Can/should BWF implement the same thing here??