Victor Racquet Spira 21

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by BengGuan, Dec 31, 2009.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    here is a preliminary review on the Victor Spira 21.

the racket was measured at 88.8g / BP298. which is slightly head heavy and near the upper end of the 3U scale.

the grip was G2, and felt close to or slightly smaller than Yonex' G4. the grip itself is interesting, as told, the grip was designed to be rounder. ie, the octagonal cross-section of the grip has slightly rounded edges. this allows for freer movement of the grip.

i strung it up with ZM67@26.5lbs for the testing. for the grip, i wrapped a layer of Wilson Xtra Tac grip. my goto grip for best tackiness and feel.

feel

upon holding the racket, it felt quite at home. my regular racket is either a ARC10 or AT700. this one is kinda in between the two, being slightly head heavy and in the upper end of 3U makes it feel very solid in the hand. the slight heavy balance is what i am used to.

drive

got onto the court and did some drive drills. the character of the racket immediately showed up. a very solid feel when driving and also very stable racket face. even off center shots are treated with a very solid "pop" impact. the stability i would credit the spirally wounded racket shaft that is the signature of the Spira line. it is in fact, one of the most stable racket i have used when it comes to drives.

what puzzles me is that though it is measured to be slightly head heavy, it didn't feel particularly so. the racket is fast and in fact feels slightly more head light than my 85.5g/BP305 ARC10. in fact, with the fast head speed and slight head light feel, it felt more like a NS9900. that was puzzling but not a bad thing.

the shaft of the racket only felt medium stiff. not overly stiff like AT700 or not even ARC10 stiffness. it is more like a Panda Power Precision type of medium stiff shaft.

net

net touch is not the best i have used but very acceptable. the weight and stability is good which give a good base for the net shot. but the dampening is more than i am used to so that takes a bit away from it. i haven't spend enough time with it yet so i think i will adjust as time goes on.

defense

to me, defense is one part that this racket really shines. the medium stiff shaft along with the balance and torsional stability means that smash defense is one of the most effortless i have tried, rivaling if not better than the Panda Power Precision. it betters the Precision with the stability, equal it with the shaft response, but trails it with a slightly heavier head. it would be very interesting to do a A/B comparison in the future.

power

so far i have not grasped the key timing for power in this racket. out of the box i am getting decent power from it but not full power yet. on power shots the apparent head light feel pops out. i am used to heavier racket and it takes just that bit more effort to bring out the power on the Spira21. i will update more on power when i get more court time with it.

durability

i made the mistake of partnering with a low intermediate player while i was testing the racket out. but that dangerously gave me a good sample point for both paint and frame durability. we had a pretty hard clash of racket, one that makes one crinch immediately afterwards. to my surprise, i didn't see any damage upon inspection of the racket. being a slim frame racket it should be more fragile than the widerbody counterpart when it comes to racket clash, but i saw very minimal damage after such a hard clash. the paint was intact and didn't chip, i did see some paint crack underneath the top coating layer, but that's about it. the racket itself was completely fine. in fact, the paint crack in the lower layer don't even show unless one try to look for it. that's excellent durability.

overall

the Spira21 is a very promising racket, it is a forgiving racket that is accurate with drive, touch shots and fast in defense. the build quality is excellent, and the design is professional. this is my first Victor racket and Victor has gained a lot of attention and respect from me. hopefully after a few more weeks of testing i will be able to give an medium term update of the Spira and hopefully in the future i will be able to test more Victor rackets.

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Very awesome review Kwunie!!! Now GrandMaster Tedski will be tempted again :D:D:D :rolleyes::p:cool::)

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is certainly a very promising racket. i will need to spend more time with it to really say how good it is. however, i am not sure if it will unseat my ARC10. that's will take a really special racket.

i have to say though that Victor has impressed me with good quality rackets. hopefully i will get a chance to test out the SW35 and the BS10/11 in the future.

4. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    hi Kwun, welcome to the Victor club! Like yourself, I'm totally in love with the ZM62 strings too but can't afford it as I break one almost every other game, mostly from mishits and possibly the gommets are too sharp like you said but I haven't done anything about it apart from using thicker strings like the 67.

I bought my SW35 and SP21 together and the SW35 has become my goto racket while the SP21 has been collecting dust since. The SW35 smashes and drives harder and outweights the improved defence coming out from the SP21 IMO. BS10 is a different type of racket than the two mentioned that it cuts through the air better than SP21 and feel more solid on impact too. You will find yourself using alot more of your wrist to generate power with this racket. From my experience, the SW35 feels more like a stiff Ti10/AT700 of Yonex and BS10 similar to the Arc10 you are accustom to but faster.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks for the feedback manabu. my goto racket right now is a ARC10. but i do feel that the ARC10 while only ~86g is head heavy balanced. i measured mine to be BP310 if i recalled correctly. i do use AT700 once in a while and also enjoy using it.

it sounds like i need to get a SW35 and a BS10 to really know which one is more suitable for me.

6. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I'm starting to think that the BP's on Victors maybe vary quite a bit. I owned a TW coded SW35 and didn't find it head heavy at all - quite balanced like an Arc10 in fact. It's stiffer than hell though - Dink would like it - but my BS11 is head heavier.

I think the SW36 might be the most similar to the Arc10 in the Victor range.

How does Victor actually rate the stiffness and BP of the SP21? So many mixed signals about this racket.....it's like it confuses people.

:)

7. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    The spira21 is rated by Victor to be extra stiff and head heavy though it is definitely not as stiff as SW35.

I owned a TW and SG version if SW35 and for both, I took out the original grip, put one layer of electrical tape and then towel grip, surprisingly, the bp for both is about 290mm, certainly not the approximately 300mm that most people experienced.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    played a few more games with the Spira21.

it is a stiff racket, but not overly stiff. the racket shaft feels very delightfully lively. with enough power in the wrist, it propels the shuttlecock nicely.

however, i had a previous injury/bruise in my forearm from my games last week, and that really made me felt the stiffness of the racket, so i didn't manage to play for too long with it.

but for the few games i tried, it was definitely good. i am starting to adjust to the lighter headed racket. it feels more like a more powerful NS9900. if you give it the power, it will transfer it all the shuttle. fast wrist and fast swing is the key. it is a racket for speed.

it did take a little but not much adjustment, the feeling of the racket is stiff and very solid. this is rare for non-Yonexian racket. most non-Yonexian rackets usually have a cheap hollow feel to it. not the Spira21, it feel solid to the hand, and solid on impact. Victor has gained more respect from me.

for me personally, although it was being sold to me as a singles racket, i haven't tried it much in singles, but i think for the fast swing speed, fast defense, racket stability, it makes an excellent racket for someone who prefer a fast manuverable rackets in doubles, where a game is dominated by defense, drives and quick power smash.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there are two things, both of which can be considered personal preference, that i don't like about the Spira21.

the feel is a bit too damped. i prefer a bit more feedback from the racket. for some reason, they decide to damp out a bit of the vibration feedback.

the balance is too light for me. i am not a fan of light headed racket and my Spira21 despite being 88+g is a tad light for my taste.

but as i said, this boils down to personal preference and you need to ask if this is the type of racket you prefer. many people love the head light nanospeed type of balance.

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Well I think it is time for you to try a 3U SW35 :)

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    damn i need a sponsor!! :D

12. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

isn't spira21 rated as heavy-head racket? how will it be similar to ns9900 that is light-head?

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. it is advertised as head heavy. however, on the hand, it is feels light. although a bit too exaggerated to say it is like NS9900, but close.

14. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

is spira21 anywhere close to Kumpoo powershoot 2300hexagon?.. the one that bonsaak ponsana uses?

15. surajaya

surajaya Regular Member

My spira 21 (3U, G4) is slightly head heavier than my arc8dx (3U, G4 too).
    The balance point is around 30.25 cm (unstrung, original grip).
    arc8dx has stiffer shaft (but that's probably just my feeling, due to spira's longer shaft).

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i measured the stiffness of the Spira21's shaft and compared it with the NS9900. granted that i only have access to a used NS9900 and brand new Spira21.

the measurement shows that Spira21 is slightly stiffer than the NS9900. but only very slightly so. so i think when new, they are of comparable stiffness.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i measured mined to be 29.8cm. also unstrung with original grip. weight is 88.8grams. there might be some production variation which is understandable.

18. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Man, with every post I get more and more confused about the SP21.

Some say it's head heavy, others say it's like a 9900.

Some say it's quite a flexible racket, but then Kwun says its the same stiffness as a 9900, which while not as stiff as say a SW35, it's still a very stiff racket.

WTF?

19. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Again, it's all down to individual preferences & feeling. Don't bother too much about what people had to say about certain racket. All you gotta do is get one or borrow one from your friend and give it a try. I bought Spira21 last 2 months ago (was during promo) and haven't gotten my hand on it yet. & in 2 more weeks i'd be able to "hug" it after 2 months long of waiting! Maybe i'll give another different review of the racket, but it would be personal review.

20. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I would definitely like to try the SP21 before deciding but I've never seen anyone use it here in HK...but in the end, I'll probably just end up with another SW35 (same price as SP21 here).

Thanks kwun for the delightful comments on the SP21. I really do want to get my hands on one :)