New to VRC!

Discussion in 'Vancouver Racquets Club' started by krisyay, Nov 14, 2010.

1. krisyay

krisyay Regular Member

Hi VRC BFers!

My friends and I are planning to take advantage of their Nov. special offer and join VRC. We've got a group of 4 students from UBC and a couple of juniors.

I was just wanted to know a bit more about the priority system and the ladder. Can we still join the ladder even though it's so far into the year? Are there still times where juniors can get some games in even though it's during adult priority?

I also want to meet some new people and improve my game :D! I'm 21 yrs old, self-taught, and has played for about 3 years; intermediate level. Mainly a doubles player but would love to play some singles too!

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hi Kris,

Welcome to the club! You can join the ladders anytime of the year, Doubles ladder on Mondays and Mixed Doubles on Thursdays. Just come in early around 7:30pm to inform the person in charge of your interest. S/he will set you up with a tag and get you started at the bottom. Just a bit of fair warning here... doubles ladder might not guarantee you a good game. Join in to know some people so that you can drop in at other times of the week to play with them. I think the headache begins once you get past the middle crowd.

Best games to be had would be the mixed doubles ladders as they're stocked full with experienced tourney players. If you're new to the club, come out and watch the mixed ladders thursday night. Gauge for yourselves if you can handle that level of play. Ladies are in great demand at the club so if you play decently well you won't have need to look for partners. They'll come looking for you :). Check out the VRC website and familiarize yourselves with the priority timetable. Yes, it's possible for juniors to play during adult doubles priority but only if there's lots of courts available otherwise prepared to get booted off by adult members who's in line after you.

3. Growler

Growler Regular Member

Engineer
    Be warned: that "middle crowd" in the Monday doubles ladders play isolation (read: pick on the weak) badminton. It disgusted me (and others, too) to the point that I left and vowed never to return to it. Also a whole bunch of other gamesmanship crap that they pull, to win at any cost.

Once you get to the upper level (IF you can get there) the games are much better.

4. krisyay

krisyay Regular Member

Thanks for the advice cappy75 and growler! Unfortunately not a lady so no one will be looking for me in the mixed ladder haha!

Would you recommend going to the mixer doubles night? Are people more open to new players joining in for games during that time?

I'll probably stay out of the doubles ladder as my schedule is pretty inconsistent. By the way, could you two recommend me some shuttles that people at vrc generally play with? I'm used to nylons so I'm uncertain as to what quality of birds I should bring so that people dont feel cheated if i trade them a cheap bird after they've taken out a good one to play with me :eek:.

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

The Wednesday Mixer night (8pm~10pm) is where you write your name on the blackboard to pair up with 3 other players. However Mixer is really easy to stick to same group so take breaks and selectively play with different players.

We used to play with Sosan Black or Victor Blue until its price gone up and quality went down. Now most players use Hyungyu Green or Blue, although I do see some YY AS-05s. The tops are Victor Green or AS-40s and 50s, and almost nobody except rich folks and/or tourney players shell them out for games. I recommend hitting around with feathers until you get consistent before asking for games with club members. Breaking the feathers fast is almost as annoying as pulling out a cheapie shuttle.

#5 cappy75, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  6. binster

binster New Member

Engineer
    You don't need to come consistently for Monday night ladder hence, just join up and play to see if the playing style/game suits you. Wed nights are good to mix around, get to know people therefore I would recommend Wed night as a good starting ground. Hope to see you tomorrow. Cappy may show up tomorrow too?

7. krisyay

krisyay Regular Member

Thanks for the recommendations cappy. Do you know if Tad's carries Hyungyu? I don't think I break feathers too easily, I just really really suck at serving with them :eek:.

Thanks for the advice binster. I plan to go to the mixer night tomorrow; if you see a 21yr old chinese fellow that looks a bit out of place and confused about things, you've found me!

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

I might be late coming in due to work but I will be there to welcome you Kris!

9. krisyay

krisyay Regular Member

Fantastic! I also wear a lot of black/red and play with a PP Trinity2.

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Sorry Kris, I didn't catch your last post so didn't know who to look for. Are you coming this Saturday? Perhaps we could meet then. I usually play from 9:30pm onward but will go to the gym first to workout before hitting the courts.

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I met krisyay tonight. Unfortunately, he was tired and couldn't join us for games. Hopefully, he will show up on Saturday evening.

12. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Fresh meat for late night Saturday night baddyfestys?

:D

Growler - how about me and you quietly show up a monday and play ladder if I'm out there for Christmas? I'm still an equal opportunity smash-it-into-my-opponents-head type of guy.

13. krisyay

krisyay Regular Member

I'll probably be late as I forgot I have a ballroom event to go to 8pm at UBC. When do you all typically play till on sat nights? Thanks for including me btw =].

14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

We usually start around 9:30pm and play until midnight ~ 1AM. And then we head out for post game dinner in Richmond or South Vancouver. Come join us if you're able to make it.

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Not sure if that's a good idea. Growler will actually beat up someone in the ladders, not in a game... mind you. There can only be so much **** thrown around and they throw quite abit on an average Monday night ladder ;-).

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    In other words, don't mess with Growler . . . :-D

17. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Unfortunately, I couldn't make it tonight due to other priorities and bad weather.

18. krisyay

krisyay Regular Member

Hope to see you next time Pete!

Thanks for introducing yourself cappy, hope to get a chance to play with you next time!

19. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Cappy - ooh that could be fun. Growler and Wolff, the "Don't piss me off" team.

I like you guys, so you've never seen me in ticked off mode.

Then again, I can play the isolation game with the best of them.

20. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    That sounds familiar . . . Did you quote from Mr. Cooldoob? ;):D:cool::rolleyes::p

Yeap, Monday ladder is getting quite meaningless unless you are near the top of the ladder.