Chinese Badminton Association (CBA) making Badminton as one of China's top sports

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Aug 29, 2010.

1. fengyunfan

fengyunfan Regular Member

Actually, Pingpong' situation is different. Pingpong used to be the national game in China, and especially Pingpong's history in China had something to do with politics, thus Pingpong have transcendent position in China before. But things change, young generation prefer badminton than Pingpong, because Pingpong is less fashionable.

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Not sure I understand... what exactly does the French Open, Swiss Open, Taiwan Open etc have to do with the state of badminton in China?

3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I think it is the question of top players devoting time,energy and travel to balance between tight schedules of opens and the league.

This problem is quite severe in football .

Maybe Malaysia or Indonesia or Europe may want to have leagues of their own,it would create new industries. Perhaps BWF can allow certain months reserved just for domestic leagues and have less opens. i think what China people say here is that the income from SS cannot compare with the possible earnings from domestic leagues.

When all these happens I think I want to go into the business of making artificial shuttlecocks because of the severe shortage and high prices.

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Hmmm... the reason a lot of people are attracted to badminton is because of the high quality of play they get to experience when international tournaments take place. I am sure domestic leagues are a great idea to help propogate the sport more effectively, but not at the expense of the international events like the Super Series.

To arbitrarily decide to wrap up some SS events could be viewed in a very negative light, and rightly so if you consider what those countries and their associations might have to say about it. I don't think BWF would do that either. And rightly so.

All member countries however, might have a system a bit like what BAM is putting in place. Or like what the cricket associations in many countries have in place. Like a central contracts or national rep system, where once players reach a particular level, they are taken out of the domestic circuit and into the BWF circuit. They would be allowed to participate in the domestic leagues on a controlled, limited basis. This would keep the domestic leagues happy and healthy and striving for more. And badminton fans worldwide would not be deprived of the great tournaments and matches that we have had the pleasure of watching so far.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Audiences from other countries would love to watch top CHN players performing live

I am guessing that Canada is like Australia. We, in Australia, have our national leagues in Soccer, Cricket, Basketball, Netball, etc...... But when an international tournament/match is held, top players in our leagues are released from their clubs; so that they can participate in it. This is because we treat international events as more prestigious events.

I guess that it is because Chinese clubs are so competitive in their internal league, that top club players, who are also national players, are held back.

The above comment is only for SS tournaments. Whenever World Championships, Asian Championships, Thomas Cups, Uber Cups, Surdirman Cups, and even the prestigious All-England (although it is one of the SS tournaments) are held, CHN team usually attend with their best team.

Could it be that China thinks that their internal league matches are just as strong as BWF SS tournaments?

I need to mention this just in case that some BCers from China think that I am criticising China. :eek::eek::eek: No, I am not criticising China; because China can elect to do whatever China wishes. I am only thinking for audiences around the world. They would love to watch top CHN players performing live in their countries whenever they hold an SS tournament.

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Lets hope so and keep the big guns playing outside. ;) With the recent spat, they are not in good light. Some manufacturers are packing their bags. ;)

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Table Tennis has already set a precedent, there's the European club league where China players are members, there's also

the China League where Europeans are members, on top of the Pro Tour and ITTF championships and world cups etc. etc.

I wonder how the TT players mange their time, more like European football fixtures.Unfortunately the leagues are so predominant there are less

international tournaments. Maybe it wont happen in badminton as it would not be inclusive to the less dominant nations.

8. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I suddenly realise why some nations can never improve in soccer. This is because all the elite are playing X borders in EU Leagues,Japan China

and there is only 1 world cup every 4 years or Continental clubs.Players have to cross borders to play in elite leagues.

Definitely very good for professionalism and business but doesn't help to promote the sports in aspiring countries

as there are few international competitions like badminton.

I think BWF still needs to continue their mission to expand popularity worldwide, unlike soccer or Table tennis which already are well established everywhere. i think the ITTF and FIFA have a completely different agenda.

9. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    We are approaching a crossroads

I think in a (simplified) way, it comes down to doing what's good for the game, or doing what's good for the money. They used to say that if you have more money in the game, it can be channelled back for the good of the game, but that's relegated to being a myth, mostly. Corporate greed took care of that!

Eventually of course, there's a good chance greed will triumph... 22 minutes, prime time is too good to resist for most administrators who would want to leave behind a "legacy".

I think China needs to very carefully examine their approach towards the league as well as international fixtures and their equation with the international badminton community. They have the power to effect change, and they can use it wisely or otherwise.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Weekly, there are countries hosting tournaments inviting players from other countries

Actually, weekly there are countries hosting tournaments (according to the BWF calendar) inviting players from other countries to participate. Some players from different countries do attend.

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Hope that China wold promote Badminton worldwide

This is true. Since China is the powerhouse for Badminton, we hope that China wold promote Badminton worldwide (for all of us Badminton lovers) and not just for their internal league.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2010 China Open SS: Could China win all 5 titles again?

Once again, at the 2010 China Open SS tournament, the CHN players dominated in most events. Only one KOR Mens Doubles pair will be at the Finals to challenge them.

It appears that the CHN Mens Doubles division/category is their weakest link.

13. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
    And do not "team order" again.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

And do not "team order" again

This is one of the many questions many BCers have asked :-

Why don't CBA allow their players to always play to their 'true/best' form, and not be following "team order" ?

When we look at their CBA Womens Singles players, we sometimes cannot figure out who is their top/best WS player. :eek::eek::eek:

We suspect that CBA WS players are following "team order", so that they all get to be ranked (in the BWF World Ranking) all in the top/best positions.

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Maybe they can "export" some of their coaches to other countries? That would show they really want to promote the sport worldwide... :)

16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Probably they dont feel secure enough in badminton as compared to table tennis to do this. Years ago they accepted Boonsak for training in China,then he started to beat Chen Hong & Co.so they stopped the program. China is not as dominant in badminton as in say table tennis.

they did export Chan Chang Jie to Msia in early 80s to help bring up the level of badminton,but it was only the arrival of Fang Kai Xiang in 1988
    that really made an exponential change.

In TT troublesome players are exported to other countries as sparring partners, it nearly happened to Zhang Ji Ke the new world TT champion

but somehow he escaped the noose.

17. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

There lies the divergence between the aspirations of the CBL and CBA.

One wants to promote badminton as an industry, the other is concerned about winning Olympic medals

for the country.

Which country would be so kind as to foregoe Olympic medals for the sake of promoting a sport? The private league could do that better.

18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Other countries like Ina can do the same as they have always done in the past when they were dominant.

Maybe Li Mao can make the difference? There are some honest and candid posts in the Ina players forum worth reading.

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    CBA's selection mothod for OG2012

I got this from off the CBA official website via Google translate...

Source: http://translate.googleusercontent....6.html&usg=ALkJrhgQhBW0WcJbuGi_IIEEDhRxBWFBuA

London Olympics athletes badminton selection approach

为进一步做好2012年伦敦奥运会备战工作,规范国家队管理,坚持“公平、公正、公开”原则,鼓励有序竞争,科学合理地选拔最优秀的运动员参加奥运会,力争取得更好成绩,根据世界羽联关于伦敦奥运会参赛运动员选拔办法和国家体育总局有关要求,结合我国羽毛球项目的实际情况,特制订本选拔办法。​
    To further improve the work of the London 2012 Olympic Games preparations, standardized national team management, adhere to "fair, just and open" principle, to encourage orderly competition, scientific and rational selection of the best athletes in the Olympics, and strive to obtain better results, according to the World BWF Olympic athletes selected on the London approach and the relevant requirements of the State Sports General Administration, combined with the actual situation of China's badminton, especially the development of the selection approach.

一、选拔原则​
    First, the selection principle

(一)“公平、公正、公开”原则​
    (A) "fair, just and open" principle

整个选拔过程必须公平、透明,接受国家体育总局、全国羽毛球教练员、运动员以及各相关人员的监督。​
    The entire selection process must be fair, transparent and accept the State Sports General Administration, the national badminton coaches, athletes and relevant staff supervision.

(二)积分排名与综合评定相结合原则​
    (B) ranking combined with the principles of comprehensive assessment

世界羽联关于伦敦奥运参赛资格的规定是:单打项目同一国籍运动员最多可有3名运动员参赛,且奥运积分均需处在前四位。​

BWF on the London Olympic Qualification requirements are: singles players up to the same nationality 3 athletes, and Olympics in the first four points are required.
    双打项目最多可有2对选手参赛,奥运积分均需处在前八位。​

Doubles up to 2 pairs of contestants, the Olympics need to be in the top eight points.
    因此,奥运积分达到以上标准的运动员自动获得参赛资格。​

Therefore, the standard Olympic athletes to achieve the above points automatically qualify.
    如果单打有4人、双打有3对同时达到了参赛的积分标准,那么除积分外,还将综合考察近期大赛的表现。​

If there are 4 singles, 3 doubles competition of simultaneous integral to the standard, then in addition points, will also contest the recent comprehensive survey of the performance.

(三)突出对外战绩原则​
    (C) to highlight the principles of external record

选拔运动员参加积分赛的重要依据是:对外战绩。​

Selection of athletes to participate in an important basis points race is: External record.
    奥运会积分赛之前的各类重大比赛中,对外战绩靠前的运动员将有更多机会参加奥运积分赛。​

Olympic points race competition before the major types of external record front of the athletes will have more opportunities to participate in the Olympic points race.

二、选拔程序​
    Second, the selection procedure

首先,由各单项教练组提出参加积分赛的初步名单,提名依据是:①近一、二年参加世界大赛的成绩,对外战绩为主要标准;②赛前运动员身体状态与竞技能力状况;③心理素质和抗压能力,④队内模拟比赛、热身赛的表现。​
    First of all, the coaching staff made by the individual points race to participate in the initial list of nominations based on: ① one or two years in the World Series results, external record of the main criteria; ② athlete before the state and state athletic ability; ③ psychological quality and compression capacity, ④ squad simulation game warm-up performance.

第二,提交队委会教练组审核。​

Second, the Commission submitted to the coaching staff review team.
    依据其最近几站比赛的成绩、积分排名的总体情况,审核确定各站积分赛参赛名单。​

Based on their recent race results, standings overall situation, examine and determine the points race entry list of the stations.

第三,根据各站比赛的积分及其世界羽联的有关规定,由队委会拟定奥运参赛运动员的初步名单,并上报羽毛球项目备战奥运领导小组征求意见。​
    Third, according to the points race and the relevant provisions of BWF, developed by the team Olympic Committee preliminary list of athletes, and reported to the Leading Group for Olympic badminton comments.

第四,由乒羽中心领导研究决定奥运参赛的名单,并上报国家体育总局。​
    Fourth, the decision by the Pingyu central leadership of the list of Olympic competition, and reported to the State General Administration of Sport.

第六,由国家体育总局最后审核批准。​
    Sixth, the final audit by the State Sports General Administration approval.

三、监督措施​
    Third, the surveillance measures

(一)向全国公布选拔办法,接受全国各级羽毛球队的监督。​
    (A) announced the selection approach to the nation, accepting the supervision of the national badminton team at all levels.

(二)接受国家体育总局等上级部门的监督。​
    (B) accept the State Sports General Administration of supervision of higher authorities.

(责任编辑:李旭)​
    (Editor: Li Xu)

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The "fair, just and open" principle

I like the "fair, just and open" principle.

* Fair: To be fair is not easy. To be fair to one, may not be fair to another.

* Just: Again, to be just is not easy. Just to one, may not be just to another.

* Open: To me, this is the most important one. When open and transparent, the public can comment. And from their comments, perhaps the best solution/suggestion can be found/obtained.

:):):)