Ashaway Superlight 79 SQ

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Smash _Drop, Oct 27, 2008.

1. SheepJumpFish

SheepJumpFish Regular Member

Student
    Well sorry for not looking at the date but where are these places cheaper then amazon in Britain because Amazon is the only place I could find that was selling it and it is very expensive there, £75+

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
  3. markhodgson3

markhodgson3 New Member

4. tomwfc

tomwfc Regular Member

£54,99 flyde sport uk arrived in 2 days.
    Just played with it tonight and first impressions very good. Exellent for returning smashes and dropshots extremely manouverable. The powers about the same as my old Yonex Nanospeed 500

5. parmar88

parmar88 Regular Member

Accountant
    Ashaway 79SQ

I've just purchased this racket from Sweatband.com for £60. Dammit! I should have got it from Fyldesports.co.uk £57 delivered!

Anyway, some great reviews about this racket and looking forward to trying it out.

Just one thing that's not been covered. I'm new to Ashway, I've seen some players at my clubs playing with them and they generate buckets of power with their smashes! I'm talking serious power...

Can someone comment on what the MicroPower string is like?

I've come from using the Arc 10 > Head Metallix 8K > Armortec 900P > Ashaway.

Cheers :cool:

6. parmar88

parmar88 Regular Member

Accountant
    Just recieved the racket today. Will get some close ups and different angle pics up.

Feels very light and very very menouvarable!

7. parmar88

parmar88 Regular Member

Accountant
    this is one sh!t hot racket.

8. marmoset

marmoset Regular Member

Great racket. I've been using one for the past year which i bought after advice from the ever helpful William at Fylde Sports. Very light, manoeuvrable racket. No problems generating power so in my book great for attack and defense. The only drawback for me is the lack of feel when playing a drop; not sure if i can explain it exactly but this is the only time where i feel the racket is 'too' light!! Perhaps a change of string may be an idea. I've been using Micropower strings (the red/white one) at 24 which have lost a fair bit of tension since stringing but i've bought another of the same racket and will be trying BG80 on that one.

Recommended tension on this racket is 24. Has anyone had any major issues stringing a little higher?

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Quite possibly the most frigile racket I have ever tried, I tried it for 5 mind once, and it felt really fragile, so much so that I gave it straight back. I think the one I tried was the 79SQ (ISO version) I wouldn't buy one. I know people that have used this racket, and gone through quite a few due to it being rather fragile, I wouldn't go above 25lbs with this, IMO.

10. marmoset

marmoset Regular Member

I've been using mine a couple of times a week for just over a year, had a couple of clashes and although the racket does feel as though it's fragile, no cracks or dents anywhere but then again i've not had it strung over 24 yet. Thanks for the advice though; i'll probably stick to 24 and see how the BG80 goes on the other one. I do feel it is a bargain at £57 though but then again it does suit my style of play fairly well even though there are the shots where i feel i need to be holding something more substantial (oooer)!

11. Truongy

Truongy Regular Member

student
    great racket... although i prefer the t5 version. have to agree 100% with the control but you can get great power with this racket aswell. takes a few games to get use to it as it is very light compared to my t 10 but all you need is quite a quick racket head speed and you can hit it hard enough to win the rallies...great racket.. i would recomend it to a friend...very cheap only about £50 on centralsports.com

12. jin_uk

jin_uk Regular Member

I was lucky enough to receive one as a gift whilst at university from my girlfriend. I do love Ashaway and I would like to go back, but I had to sell the 79SQ as I just had no feel of power in it. It was a beautiful balance and weight but I really struggled with clears and smashes. Maybe I didn't have it strung right or I was just a MUCH worse player then lol. Either way, I'm now looking at a Carlton Vapour Trail Elite from my coach (£60), Vapour Trail Tour (similar price) or maybe an Ashaway again like the new RepulsorTec or an XT racket? Anyone tried any of these rackets. Especially the Ashaways?