AT800 Reviews

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ants, Apr 12, 2004.

1. fatbird

fatbird Regular Member

Quote: Tonight I got hold of the AT800 SP versions. I was comparing them to my JP version and I didnt notice any difference, in weight, workmanship and stiffness. They feel the same. So I guess these SP versions are good. Anyway I tried swinging the OF version and it is definitely more stiff and head heavy than the DE version. Tomorrow ill have it strung with BG85 and check it out. I will then be back with a review on the OF

I suppose for the few initial batches from production, the quality between JP, SP or CN are the same because the moulds are new and thus the tolerance is insignificant. Once the production is high, the mould would expand/deteroriate and here is where the problems crap in. Hence, YY may sort out the good batch and label it as JP or CN while others with SP or other labels.

Therefore, even the price is higher initially, you can still get a bargin with SP (quality same as JP at less cost) OR you can buy cheaper if you purchase later (at real SP quality standard).

2. kukula

kukula Regular Member

businessman
    You know what fatbird, this is actually the second time I have heard this exact comment. I remember ants telling me that the first one or two batches of SP rackets are exactly similar to the JP/CN/CP versions, thus it is wise to get them early. After that, the quality of SP rackets start to go down. Anyway I still have to verify wether this is indeed true.

Well tonight i was finally able to play with my OF AT800 SP 3UG4. I had it strung with BG85 at 22lbs. I usuallys string my new rackets at 22 and slowly work its way up to 25 with each stringing, at an increment of one lbs every time. Anyway, initial observation about this racket proved true. It is indeed stiffer and head heavier than the DE. Surprisingly, I didnt have a hard time adopting to it. Maybe because I have always used head heavy rackets. This racket is very stable, maybe even more than the DE. And it is more powerful. Smashes are alot stronger and faster. Somehow my swingspeed isnt as fast as the DE, maybe bec the frame is less aerodynamic. Or maybe bec of the head heaviness. Maneuverability is somewhat slower than the DE too since it is heavier. But still alot faster than say my 2U Ti10. Overall I am very satisfied with this racket. I am thinking using this racket for my singles game and using the DE for doubles, which need quicker response.

Final word, you cant go wrong with either rackets. Choose one according to how you play, and how you plan to use it. The DE is alot more forgiving IMHO. Somehow I believe even a newbie can use the DE and improve their game tremendously. As for the OF, I believe that an intermediate player will have the full benefit out of this.

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc

I think you are talking nonsense. All racquets come out of the same production line. The SP is marked on the shaft and the country code is chipped on the cone. Common sense would tell you an AT800 is an AT800, irrespective of the country code. Don't tell me you are so gullible as to be so easily duped by fast-talking salesmen. I would only believe it if Yonex comes out with an AT800 upgrade and designates it with a different model name, like AT801 Improved. To say that one AT800 is better than another AT800 because of different country codes or distributor marks could be tantamount to misrepresentation and could land you in legal trouble if you were a shop selling them.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Erhhmm, there are arguments for cases that are reverse of your thinking ;)

Confusing huh guys? There are 3 different ways one could judge a SP, LOL :cool:

#64 cooler, May 19, 2004
    Last edited: May 19, 2004
  5. armortec800

armortec800 Regular Member

If the SP version is priced 300% more, everyone might sing a different tune.

:D

6. knighthood23

knighthood23 Regular Member

I totally agree with taneepak.

Don't be so childish and cheated by the salesman.

7. Matthew

Matthew Regular Member

I think everyone will agree that different country codes' AT800 are come from the same production line. But I definitely believe that the quality of rackets produced from the same production line will vary in an acceptable range. So in the same batch of rackets, some will be better in quality over others (all passed the QC process). From this point of view, I think the rackets with better quality

8. Matthew

Matthew Regular Member

I think everyone will agree that different country codes' AT800 are come from the same production line. But I definitely believe that the quality of rackets produced from the same production line will vary in an acceptable range. So in the same batch of rackets, some will be better in quality over others (all passed the QC process). From this point of view, I think the manufacturer definitely can sort out some rackets with outstanding quality for special purpose or market such as sponsor China National Team, JP rackets...

9. huijun

huijun Regular Member

engineer
    Adding some materials to this topic! I talked to the boss of a factory which manufacturies badminton rackets in Taiwan. We talked of the rackets for pro players. He said among one hundred rackets in every production(using the same machines and materials and processes), there are ony 3~4 rackets fitting the spec. for pro players(including stiffness of shaft, balance of the racket....etc). Among these 3~4 rackets, there may be some defects on other place(appearance....etc). So one can just find out 1~2 "perfect" ones among one hundred rackets! He also told me pro players always like stiff rackets........ :D This is just for reference. I think the CP/CN rackets should be the best ones from Yonex but not sure about JP.

10. bambini

bambini Regular Member

bldg administrator
    well said taneepak. hooray!

11. bambini

bambini Regular Member

bldg administrator
    well said taneepak. hooray! :D

12. Smashguy

Smashguy Regular Member

Good job!

You had solved my puzzle about racket production.

I know every identical model have 'individual' character. I believe the QC is unable to make each racket identical. The above thread proved it.

13. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student

i think everybody is allowed his/her own views eg whether christianity is better than buddhism, whether Toyota is better than Nissan, whether a particular TV model that has moved it's production from Japan to Zimbabtu is the same quality... so i think we should respect their views and not insult each other.

I am a believer of country codes, why? because i have felt it, i have held mp100 cp, jp and sp all side by side, and they all play differently. Hey~ maybe it's just psychological, or maybe it's true... we dont know. :)

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

how do u know what u hear is what he meant? I think it is no more or less rubbish than talking to a salesman. In spec, do you know what are their spec? This 1-2% ratio, maybe because they are using inferior equipments, hey, it's made in TW u know. :rolleyes: Maybe their 'perfect' ones can be classified as rejects from a 'better' manufacturer point of view and spec tolerance. Ie, Lexus may view the 'perfect ford focus or dodge neon' as junk.
    '
    There are many pros using flexy rackets like mp88 and AT700, singles and double. I like stiff racket (really), am i a pro?

#74 cooler, May 20, 2004
    Last edited: May 20, 2004
  15. BobbyGeneric

BobbyGeneric Regular Member

IT professional
    I think the problem lies with the fact that it's a mixture of both actual quality and psychological interpretation. I'm not sure what is the case for Yonex racquets, but as an example, when Sony and Panasonic started having factories in both Japan and overseas, the quality of the electronics would vary greatly depending on where it's from.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

If only life is that simple cut and dry, black and white. :rolleyes:

17. twlih

twlih Regular Member

US code

Has anyone able to try out the AT800 US?
    I believe it was released the same time as JP,
    But do they feel the same? :confused:

Well just need to know how the AT800 US feel.
    Thanks

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    2 ladies from my local club are using 800OF. I can ask them for their "review". However, I won't be able to do that until next sat (5/29), as I have a party to go this sat. ;)

19. twlih

twlih Regular Member

Thanks alot LZBud
    I'm looking fwd in reading their comment

20. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Since i have both JP and SP version of the AT800 DE and OF. What i can compare is that , both are equally identical. However JP version is slightly heavier than the SP.

This is what i found out as well when i compare my AT700 Jp with a AT700 SP and TH in terms of weight. Except the At700 Jp paint job is much better than the TH.