allergic to feathers

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by |BLAI|, May 15, 2004.

1. |BLAI|

|BLAI| Regular Member

i was wonder wat would happen wen there's a tournament and they tell u to use feather birds~(i'm allergic to feathers)........can i make my opponents use nylon birds for the match instead?~

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Interesting question. I suspect that the answer is "no" :( Your opponents have a right to compete with the correct standard of shuttlecock. Certainly, if I was playing in a tournament against you I would not accept that decision.

However, if it is a "friendly" tournament then people may be willing to accommodate you.

Are you really allergic to feathers on a shuttlecock? I imagine they are treated (bleached) so you may find that your allergic reaction to feathers does not occur.

3. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Yup its True HE IS!!!
    I saw him today.....damn that sucks man!

4. novl

novl Regular Member

Financial Advisor
    It really depends on where and at what level you're playing. In Holland, people use nylon shuttles in D-ranked tournaments (A being the highest level). Even at an annual Chinese badminton tournament, nylon shuttles get preference over feathers. It's just a matter of economics. Nylon lasts longer than feather and are therefore practically cheaper.

5. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    What allergic reactions occurs when you play with feather shuttles? Does it only happen if you touch the feathers. Because you may want to try just holding the base of the shuttle. Or is it the smell of the feathers? I'm sorry to ask questions that may seem silly but I've never heard of anyone being allergic to shuttlecock feathers.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    An unfortunate allergy.

If the rules stated feather shuttles to be used in the tournament, I guess you have to decide yourself wether to play.

On the other hand, if I was a tournament organiser, I would probably ask you not to play for your own health. I would not provide nylon shuttles just because one person had an allergy. It would disadvantage everybody else.

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Allergic to feathers is unusual. Maybe he/she might be allergic to the smell or the gum of the shuttlecock. Either way.. better take care of ones health before any games. Allergic is a sign of an unbalanced immune system.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That really sucks :( I'd be very upset if I developed such an allergy.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    shuttle feather isnt the same as feather on the bird. Shuttle feathers have being washed an bleached. I think you are worrying about something out of initial fear. If you still feel an allegeric reaction while playing feather shuttle, then i would guess you are allergic to feather dust as tiny bit of feathers do floats around as the shuttle bat around the court.

10. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    You might also see your health care professional (doctor or allergist). The doctor would do some tests to determine your level of allergy and the allergents that bother you the most. You might get a shot or take some allergy medication that would prevent or lessen the effect of your allergy during the tournament. (Watery eyes, running nose, or hives are some common allergic reactions) Also if you cannot touch the shuttle, you might wear gloves? Just some ideas.

11. clemclem

clemclem New Member

What kind of allergy have you got? how severe? What triggers it?

The only time you have to contact the shuttle is when you serve. I wonder if wearing glove on left hand (assume you are right handed) would help.(though increased sweating could be annoying)

12. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Or maybe some sports tape on the fingers he uses to hold the shuttle.

13. jimbouk

jimbouk Regular Member

Trader in Japan & USA
    I think the idea of wearing some kind of glove on your left hand is a good idea - not a white one though cos you will look like Michael Jackson!!!! (an association the game of badminton doesn't need right now!) :D