Is it fair for compensation from racket clash?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by mettayogi, Jul 7, 2006.

1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

good, if I clash rackets and my partners breaks, and he asks for compensation, I will offer one FREE punch in the face as a token of my good will

2. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    Good, it's nice to see people using proper etiquette.

3. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    i wouldn't ask for compensation if my racket breaks cuz of a clash...

i'd only accept it if offered to me.

however, if i break someone else's racket as a result of a clash... depending on how expensive i know their racket is i'll offer some compensation.

_
    couple months ago a beginner broke my ns7000 due to racket clash... i wasn't mad at him, just more disappointed that my racket just got strung and i didn't get to get much use outa the racket... :(

...it did bother me that the guy didn't even say much of anything to me after breaking my racket.

4. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I was gonna sell my NS9000X last year and a friend of mine wanted to buy it and before he does he wanted to tried it first he said. So I let him give it go in a game. Turn out the racket gave up badly at 3 o'clock position without any impact to another racket. It just broke when he hit the bird. I was shocked and my mate was shocked too. He offered me a new one, but never delivered. I was bit worry that he may think I tried to sell him a lemon :mad:
    Anyway, time moves on, we still friend and forget about it :D

5. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

your arguement is very specious. However I'd like to point out the fact that automobile accident and racket clash is a completely different thing. When driving a car, there is no sportsmanship required, only etiquette. However, badminton requires etiquette and sportsmanship.

6. druss

druss Regular Member

If you`re going to reply to a specific post or person... please state who and/or quote them...

I think the point that person was trying to make (and I don't know if I'm right since I'm not going to search for the original post), is that accidents happen...

I also hate the fact that many people out there live by a double standard. Expect compensation when they think it's someone elses fault but won't offer it when it's their own fault... mostly because they never believe they're at fault.

7. mayouno

mayouno Regular Member

In the spirit of sportsmanship, no compensation is needed:cool:. On a personal level, there are people who will insist on paying and there are who won't, fair enough;). It doesn't matter, we all know that accidents do happen, more often in the game of badminton:(. It's a different story if someone is going out there with intent on having fun by clashing and breaking one's shiny and new racket:mad:!

8. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

you don't really need to look back, because ive made it clear what im talking about, although i admit that it wouldve been better if i quoted. (sorry, forgot)
    i think you dont understand my point. My point is, even if it is an accident, because sports requires sportsmanship, there should not be a compensation for broken rackets. I never said accidents dont happen.
    And yes, i also hate the fact that people are self centered. However, thats just how we are, and to eliminate conflicts resulting from this kind of mentality, we should NOT ask for a compensation.

9. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

It would always seem fair to be compensated and not so fair if your are forced to compensate. Just play the game you love and it'll take care of itself.

10. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

if it was your fault and can afford to compensate, then by all means.

11. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

Yes, and of course.

12. Aedgy

Aedgy Regular Member

Hence the reason I don't buy/use racquets costing more than $100... usually $40-60 max.

Accidental racquet clash and breakage is just that - an accident (and a very good motivation to improve double communication/movement).

I would not ask for compensation even if my racquet cost is significant and would refuse to play with anyone who would ask for such compensation from me.

Difficult situations arise an aggressive player constantly encroaches upon his partner's shots and clash/breakage happens I suppose... but then it's called doubles for a reason so I would try and stay away from such players.

13. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    As a lot of people have mentioned, this is a social activity! If someone hits your racquet, it is not on purpose and its just bad luck and a risk of playing doubles that your racquet could get smashed.

I use to play with $300 racquets but yes they do crack through hitting the floor, partner's racquet, restringing etc and you usually want to upgrade after a couple of years anyhow. So now I buy $100 racquets which lowers the financial risk and are still good racquets.

From Aussie perspective on the court, I have never offered to pay for smashing a person's racquet and noone has offered to pay for mine, its just a risk of the game, that it could happen, but offering to pay compensation is a little over the top.

14. Paul_A

Paul_A Regular Member

Student
    I am always surprised by some of these beginners who realize they are playing with a very experienced player, still feel the urge to jump from their side of the court and flail their racket in front of your swing in the last moment when the bird is clearly falling right under me. And they always have to be using some $10 5 pound full steel Carlton racket. It's very strange... Glad to see your sturdy racket is still fine, unfortunately my $250 full graphite racket is a complete loss... oh well =(