tape on lighthead racket ?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by autolink, Jun 5, 2010.

1. autolink

autolink Regular Member

ok we have heard that addint tape on heavy head racket will make the heavy head racket's head heavier and does it make sense by adding tape on a lighthead racket ?:rolleyes: anyone tried this before ? how is it ?

2. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    My experience on this was the racket felt awkward.

A head heavy racket was designed in such a way that all weights are concentrated towards the frame thus it feels alright if you add some more weight to it. Then its called extra head-heavy.

On the other hand a head-light racket is not. Its weights are placed on the lower part of the frame. You would mess with the overall racket balance and feel. All you would get is an unbalanced heavy racket.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Why would it be any different when adding tape to a headlight racket vs. a headheavy one? iono.gif

Just make sure it is applied evenly on both sides and you're fine. You don't need a lot... maybe 8 inches athletic tape total to increase the bp by 5-8mm, which would be quite noticeable during play in terms of altering offence vs. defence.

4. autolink

autolink Regular Member

duno why it feels better when i added some tape on my light head racket cuz the head is abit heavier than normal and better smash,sometime when the racket is too light ,i feels like holding an "air" in my hand.but heavy racket sometimes kills my wrist ! when i played wrist smash alot lol,damn it ,hope theres a switchable racket that we can have 2 button, light or heavy. hahaha.or a water filling racket that allow water to flow to the racket head or let it flow to the handle of the racket :)

5. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    To some they wouldn't felt the difference simply they are being ignorant to the specifications of the racket and satisfied easily. If this being the case than good for you because you'd found an easy solution.

Let say yours is 3U (85-89 grams) head light racket, the weights are distributed evenly through out the whole racket with less weight focused on the frame thus you have a 3U head light racket.

In a head heavy racket, the same applies but you are adding more weights to where it should be originally. The purpose of the racket had not been altered.

Now, you add about 8 inches of tapes to both sides of the frame of your head-light racket (16 inches in total) and the tapes weight 1/2 gram-1 gram per inch so in total you added 8 grams-16 grams to just that area of the frame. Now would your racket still a 3U? Are the weights distributed evenly?

Of course you feel better in smashes because the racket head is heavier and therefore it helps in generating swing power. But have you played with a natural head heavy racket for comparison? You should and then you would understand more.

As for the spec of your racket now, its no more 3U, not even 2U but U spec I would say. You are playing with a generally heavy racket with head heavy spec. How long can your arm take it?

So by jumping 2 notches up, would it make a difference now?:)

#5 Aspire, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  6. autolink

autolink Regular Member

for me whatever racket is the same,i mean the brand,the model heavy head or light head.im using a lighthead racket now and i tried my friend's heavyhead racket,from both racket,i found that.... my smash... is the same.My friend's heavy head racket is YangYang - ImpressX50 (if im not wrong) and im using Dunlop Max Fil i-Champ ? zz i duno whats the racket name,and i cant find any information in the internet.and sometime i dun understand why they spend so much money keep on upgrading their racket,like a Yonex ArcSaber Z-Slash which i saw at a shop here is around RM 989,almost Rm1000,which is 1/2 salary of a month here for the office worker.i have a friend using Yonex Nanospeed 9900,which is quite expensive i think...beautiful painting.. but i beat him with my Rm 80+ racket ?im not trying to show off ,but u know he is pretty good,he have a couch teaching him how to play,and i dun have one,so its not a level problem.maybe im not good enough to show the different of different rackets

7. autolink

autolink Regular Member

8. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    You are a very talented player since you can bring out the best of your skills no matter you are playing with a head-light or head-heavy rackets. I posted my replies since you asked in the first place!!

Also good to know you are being practical when it comes to purchasing of equipments. Yes, one's skills is the most important of all aspects in badminton.

Again just to share the above info with you on racket specification, whether any difference made to you is not important as long as you are comfortable with it.:)

#8 Aspire, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  9. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    Its a shame the big names can't take as much time with the spec as Dink can with his. A basic grip took mine from 295 to 275 which is a hell of a lot. I sorted out the grip and got it too 303! A grip can change things by a hell of a lot so maybe manufacturers should think about making them 5mm + head heavier to counter for different grips. They make them so close to the mark that when we customise them it ruins what we thought we had.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Don't be too overly concerned with added grip weight, since it doesn't change swing weight as much, as swing weight depends mostly on the weight of the racket head. For example, 5 g of grip wt added to the handle is nothing compared to 2 g of tape added to the top of the frame.

11. autolink

autolink Regular Member

what is that 295 to 275 and 303 ??

12. autolink

autolink Regular Member

thank you but i dun think im a talented player :) there still lot of pro here can beat me easily

13. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    It went down 20mm then i got back 28mm to 303mm