World Table Tennis

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by extremenanopowe, May 30, 2010.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

of course anyone (or maybe any country) can be beaten (this time by their own so called ex-compatriots)...the question is, how long will that last??..

2. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    I must say I didn't know any other powerhouse country in table tennis ( can I call it ping -pong? ) other than China. So, yes, very shocked. and congratulations Singapore.

Malaysia has Yuan Yu Fang too, and I don't feel her medal to be less Malaysian's .

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..do you know where do the S'porean players originate from??..

#23 ctjcad, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  4. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Yes I think that's the bigger concern before we are saying anything about other countries are overtaking China. Whether they can keep giving the challenges. I want to keep the positive mind and say why not.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Have patience ...
    Maybe it will be another country with Chinese coach and players ...?;)

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..that's my whole point!..:cool:

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    This is called Chinese imperialism in TT in which other countries get the glories and China floods the world with their players and coaches. In a way China doesn't mind this as it will take the heat away from criticism about China's dominance that if not redressed may see the game banned for good.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    This sort of negative talk on Singapore's crowning glory gives the impression that some quarters are just jealous of Singapore's achievement. Give Singapore credit when others in similar circumstances are unable to make much headway
    against hitherto dominating China in the world of table tennis.

We will be celebrating in Singapore just the same!

9. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

Li Ning? That's badminton. Li Ning seems to dabble on TT blades as well but so soon that they have overtaken Double Happiness at the national level:confused:? Last time I check, China TT National Team is either sponsored by Stiga or Double Happiness?

Off-topic, I remember a former Chinese coach tellling me that they play with 20 cents paddle and they can still use those 20 cents paddle to give junior national level kids a run for their money with all their high tech blades and rubbers (glue or post glue era)! Cool:cool::cool:!

Anyways. Congratulations Singapura:cool:!

10. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    If you watch the current CHN team plays in WC, they wear LN shoes, pants, etc. LN has long been CHN TT main sponsor, LN only recently sponsor CHN baddy team and SS events, I think.

On Sing winning WC10 Women team event, Sing deserve the glory and respect, I am happy for them, congrats. Sure the players are CHN born, Sing believe in them and brought them to Sing at young age as FT, but it takes a huge effort and investment to groom them into world class players. Looking back, how does Sing knows the current players when Sing brought them over can achieve what they did a few days ago. Give Sing the credit, that is a huge upset and an upset NO ONE expected or dare to bet on. I admire the players grit, determination and mental toughness of believing in themselves to beat an incredible, scary lineup of CHN superstars staring at them from the opposite side of the table. If anyone has played TT on a competitive level, a lot of games are lost before the game even starts, just by looking at who your opponents are.

11. RSLvictorSOTX

After doing a quick search, yep LN it is:D. So, What about the official blades for Singapore? Just bring your weapons of choice for best results:D:cool:?

12. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I don't know...if I guess, it will be No Name Brand!! LOL!!:p:D

13. RSLvictorSOTX

I guess, since they'll have to go for the best preference:D because the government will surely provide:cool:!

14. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    FTW opened the score 1-0 but the real break came from WGY beating LSW to give Sing a 2-0 lead (and 1-game away from victory) which I think really give a huge boost to the Sing girls telling them they can win. WGY is like little David beating the Mighty Goliath in a game nobody will ever think WGY can pull it off. LSW is the poster girl of CHN TT, the fast rising star and WR1. In her first foray into WC as a 17 yr old, she went to the SF only to lose to ZYN, often called the greatest TT woman player in CHN or world history (I rank her 2nd after Deng Ya Peng though). How the mighty collapsed.

15. RSLvictorSOTX

Again, congratulations, China finally got a 'rasa singapura':cool:!

Off-topic,

Frankly, it matters not what game shirt, shorts and shoes they wear (it doesn't seem to matter either across most sports EXCEPT for the recently banned ''gliding fins'' in swimming:eek:!), but it matters what equipments (blades, rubbers & balls) they use to paddle their way to the TT Championships:D:D!

...because I'd like to get one:D. Why:eek:? Because I believe what the the Chinese coach said, that he can he can beat a national level juniors with his 20 cents paddle:cool:. One thing I'm sure though, I can't play with a 20 cent paddle AND WIN:eek::eek::D!

16. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    The look is just as important...so you can lose with STYLE...menang tidak apa, gaya mesti ada:D:p
    Okay, jokes aside, I agree with you but just imagine if everyone thinks like you and not keep buying new fashion wear, shoes, apparel, etc and just buy a paddle bat to use for 20 years and the rubber surface prolly replacing once every 2 years and a TT ball that just won't break and cheap to replace anyway, that will be no revenues to LN, butterfly, etc, hence no sponsors for tournaments, and no TT and no Japanese/Korean cuties to see:crying: That would be TERRIBLE:crying::p
    just like in baddy, we need people keep buying new rackets every so often to keep the economy going...:D:p

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

:p..i don't know how you'd define "young age", but as far as i know, apart from Sun Beibei, the other players joined S'pore after they were at least 21 y.o. Sun Beibei, if not mistaken, joined S'pore squad around late teens. S'pore scooped up the other players after some of them played in a Japan league and German league..
    Btw, i believe all players are already S'pore citizens..some even called them China-poreans..:p

18. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I think china will be trembling now. This open a floodgates for second rated players to migrate and humiliate them. ;)
    Am sure singapore will be getting more chinese badminton players in to raise the standards. I hope they take it slightly tall players. Take like 50 players in and let them fight it out. The reward is pretty good. Am sure the girls are going to enjoy the fruits of their labour. ;)

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Actually China is not exactly unhappy its women lost the world championship. China looks at the big pictures, i.e. to ensure the sport is not banned from future Olympics. Read www.chinadaily.com.cn/opinion/2010-06/01/content_9916863.htm

It could have chosen Hong Kong as the giant killer but as Hong Kong is considered Chinese territory it will not be too convincing to the IOC.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Oh yes, that's why CHN chose Korea to lose the Uber Cup to ...
    But Hong Kong ... did they manage to beat Germany or Singapore to be chosen as "giant-killer" ... erm ... What a good joke!

So CHN is back to its match-fixing ability again to impress the international bosses ...

#40 Loh, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010