BAM news

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by limsy, Mar 17, 2010.

1. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    BADMINTON: Respect must be earned

"It is definitely hard when players don't respect coaches but this must be viewed carefully. If the coaches themselves lack knowledge, tactical knowledge and a comprehensive programme, it's hard for them to command the respect of players," said Kamaruddin.

"A coach needs to know and must be willing to learn new trends. It is also a must to have sports science knowledge as they can utilise the data and analyse the performance of players.

"Once a player realises that the coach knows what he is doing, he will definitely respect his mentor and will work hard to improve.

"Top coaches are tough but they are in charge. (Cristiano) Ronaldo may be the best player but Sir Alex Ferguson could force him to sit out matches as the latter knows his job.

"We need to have coaches who have substance and also the ability to control players and the question of respect will never surface."

http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/71sheikhs/Article

to me
    this sound like rashid didnt get the respect he wanted
    lol:rolleyes:

2. keigo911

keigo911 Regular Member

Research Student
  3. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Rexy didn't get respect too... maybe thats why he went joint-coaching with Pang... good luck to KKK/TBH.

Rashid ar Rashid... maybe Arif still respect him? :p

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Do you think LCW respect Misbun? Sometimes it may not be the coaches problem. Yes I do agree that the coaches need alot of updating on their knowledge in training and sport performance.however the players does have a certain mentality that the coach is under "someone's" power therefore the coach in a way loses some power along the way coznthe coach need to listen to someone. Technically the players let loose due to these kind of situation. If I'm the coach, if you hire me.. Let me do my work. Don't direct me to do this and that, I'm a coach and I know what to do.

5. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    lol
    this will never ever happen as long as some people is there

6. ants

ants Regular Member

BTW... according to Mr Kamaruddin.. coaches need to have more knowledge on sport performance etc.. how about the Head of Coaching Committee? I believe he also need some sort of upgrading as well. Again no one dare to point this out.

In this aspec.. the "RESPECT" is given.. not Earned.. in a way.

No doubt his Respect is earn in the corporate world.. that i agree.. but in BAM... sigh...

#146 ants, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  7. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    btw
    can someone tell me
    how much is the president,vice president,kenny goh,council and bla bla bla know about badminton?

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Look, a good coach is a complete master of himself and his charges and he will simpley tell the bosses to go to hell if they interfere. If the coach does not have the guts to tell of his bosses if they interfere then he is not a good coach but more of a politician.
    Just look at the "Special One" and how he handled the interference from his Russian boss when he was the coach in Chelsea some yaers back. Being a true professional coach he simply left. Now that is a good coach.
    In that respect, both Rexy and Rashid are just politicians who fear the bosses, if what is written here is true. Either way it is a damming indictment on both. One, for having lost respect from their players. Two, for losing respect for not standing up to interference from their bosses, if that is true.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

You don't elect a president, vice president and the general manager of BAM based on their badminton knowledge only. The most important is management expertise, and from there it gets progessively more focussed and more technical as you go down the chain. It is a top down command structure, not a bottom up one. The latter case would be disastrous as you could end up with a private in charge of generals and the commander-in-chief.

10. ants

ants Regular Member

I agree with you completely. The Coaches have to stand for themselves. I hope Tan Kim Her will not be one of the victim.

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    so?
    he is a businessman,like lyb
    but do he manage bam well?
    no
    because he dont know badminton and lyb know
    thats the different
    management expertise is everywhere in malaysia,how special is him?

he dont even know who is the coach for state ba
    the connection is not there
    if the bam president is good enough
    he will tell state ba what should been teach by the state coach to those youngster,hence,we wont have any shortage or lack of talentin any department
    state ba,bjss and bam now work as if they are a separate organization and this is funny
    lol

12. stanster213

stanster213 Regular Member

Still a student... STRIVE for excellence in everyt
    Thanks, eaglehelang.
    I was just calling what limsy was doing convenient,
    as then, i could check those articles and get news directly within BC; without having to leave BC to go to those sites :p
    But of course, thanks for the links. :D

13. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I also check everyday, but lazy to post the news anymore.
    Just book mark the links, check sports page, settle. Within half hour can go thru 6 differetn newspapers :D

#153 eaglehelang, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Have you heard of Alex Ferguson, the chief coach of MU? Now, do you think any bosses would dare tell him what to do? Or for that matter, any of his players? When David Beckham got too much publicity from his wife's fame, Ferguson simply dumped him off to Real Madrid because he said that David has lost focus to the entertainment world which distracted his soccer.
    This is the standard and yardstick we want to judge our badminton coaches. Now tell me, do we have anyone coming even close to this level? Obviously not, as most have for good reasons lost the players' respect. When you cry and bitch like a crying baby and displays such immaturity, how do you expect your charges to respect you? Most want to "carry balls" with their bosses to secure their regular pay cheque.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I don't share your concern as I have had some experience in this area.
    I am no mechanical or chemical or engineer but I was at one time put in charge of them as well as to head a company. I also have had no knowledge of computing sciences and telecommunications but was asked to take charge and to clean up the mess in a later assignment. This happened many years ago in a multi-national company.
    But I was not in the least awed by them and managed to clean up the mess and brought the comapany back to health. From working against me at the beginning at the end at least I earned their respect at the end and even became feared by some too.
    The key is problem solving ability and taking corrective actions. Technical expertise can be sourced

16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

It sure helps nowadays if the chief is someone thru the mill and has a little technical knowledge.The chinese have a traditional sayong "Zhi Sang Dan Ping"the ancient story of a scholar who tried to head an army and failed.
    It also depends on the activity , to ask an accountant to head an army may not work, also to ask an army officer to head a Creative Agency may not work, it depends on the "Culture" of the organisation, mechanistic,organic, creative etc.
    Read the works of Mintzberg to understand all these modern concepts.its all about the cart and the horse and putting your money where your mouth is.
    Anyway it would be difficult to find in Msia a player with management and corporate skills , they are all not well educated and seldom continue to develop in education and qualifications.
    Besides being able to see the big picture learning also means to see the situation and case we are talking about, on a case by case basis, not the old"one size fits all concept".,that would be like asking to take aspirin to cure everything.
    That must be the sickness of many institutions, the ability to learn, re-invent , innovate, analyse a situation, a lot of the people just rely on past experience to solve current tasks. I wonder how effective a person can be when he was making cars 10 years ago that are standard products that have no innovation, and product development, probably all reflected in the products, standard player, standard coach all brought up from experience with no continuous development, re-education etc etc.
    Its probably alright if his bosses don't want any change ,just standardising the procedures, making enforcing rules, benchmarks, etc keep old alliances etc, probably not acceptable to people who want to see change and development.
    People in Malaysia nowadays simply want more transperancy and benchmarks , a lot of organisations are still in the command or army mode perhaps by necessity, Maybe we can learn from more advanced countries, not badminton but about re-inventing organisations for more effectiveness. We would all still be living in caves, if we do not keep up with change.

#156 Bbn, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  17. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Wow interesting concept about the chief not needing to have any technical skills to run an organisation.

Must be a very low tech industry.

Imagine registering oneself in a Private Hospital where the decision makers are accountants more concerned in making money and not knowing anything about health-care, or enrolling in a University where the Administrators know nothing about education and research and are just interested in the bottom line.
    The CEO of Taylor's was asked about his involvement in Education to which he replied " I am in the education business and not in the business of education".Horse before cart or cart before horse?
    Its probably ok in traditional sectors, like fast food, but where technology is involved some measure of technical knowledge is essential,in order that the product or service can be further developed to meet competition. That's where a lot of continuous learning and development and re-training re-education is required . In transforming a country it is necessary to study all aspects of an organisation to improve it, if that is the mission.
    We cant be like the Kempitai and threaten to shoot doctors and professors if they are not obedient, or badminton stars for eg.

18. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Public / fans do not reject BAM management for they are not badminton people. If so, this would happen 10 years ago. Malaysia fared badly in major tournaments these few years. Yes, we call 'barely go to finals' as bad achievements. This priorly the main reason for this.

We want another Lee Chong Wei. Forget that. We want a Lin Dan in Malaysia. Is it too big for a hope? Maybe yes. There is no other way to do this. The first thing to do is to acknowledge what we do wrong and start hitting the right button. Please look into the actual problem and don't always get the coaches and players the boot for the failure. Yes, to admit the wrongdoings or shortcoming in our system is good start, fairly enough.

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    lol
    how much honor SAF bring to mu?
    and u want to compare our president with him?
    i think u are insulting SAR
    lyb is in the same league with SAF
    our president?
    fine joke
    lol

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Look, badminton is a zero sum game. If you are number one it is at the expense of others. If you fail to be no. 1 and start looking for others to blame, then the problem may be in your own head.
    What more do you want? Malaysia have the no. 1 rank MS and MD. It has won the AE singles MS twice in the last decade. It has won an Olympics MS silver medal. It has for most of the time entered theTC semi-finals, itself no mean achievement. However, it has not won the TC for the last 18 years. Neither has Korea or Denmark ever won the TC even once.

So, be realistic chaps. I say this same thing to the Malaysian press too. Stop over-rating yourself. It is this over-rating of itself that is Malaysia's greatest weakness, because it is not based on any hard, logical, and sound basis. If the fans and the press behave like emotional mobs then this is a serious problem.
    Case in point is the demonstration by a group of NGOs. What a silly and misguided application of so called good intent. It doesn't take a genius to see through this as silly or being instigated by some other party. If any of you are contibutors to these NGOs financially you may want to question where all your contributions go.